Making a Ram Pedestal / Habitat Base

Pines_N_Tines

My son shot his big horn sheep ram on 11/01/2019.
Story here: https://www.monstermuleys.info/xf/threads/a-father-son-california-big-horn-sheep-experience.118875/
Above Camp Taxidermy out of Lehi, Utah does great work and has quick turn around times. We got my son's ram mount back on 01/13/2020. It is currently sitting on a low to the floor temporary base. We'll post it here when we finish the pedestal/habitat base.

Here's the progress so far.

We purchased a wood cutting permit for the area closest to where my son shot his ram and then went and cut some juniper logs for the pedestal. We chose Juniper as it is the predominant tree on the hill side where the ram was shot. We cut the logs and semi stripped them.

IMG_3740.JPG

Cutting a 135° notch in a log on a table saw is not easy. A 135° notch will fit perfectly over the corner of an octagon. We made a slide jig to get the notch we needed.

IMG_3737.JPG
IMG_3738.JPG
IMG_3736.JPG

Next we began making the pedestal base. The ram is very top heavy so the pedestal will need to be substantial to avoid the mount tipping over. We started by building up some 2x lumber on top of a plywood base.
IMG_3741 (1).jpg

We finished stripping and sanding the logs.
IMG_3751.jpg

We began assembly of the octagon base.
IMG_3749.JPG

We'll work on it some more this weekend and post progress.

We'll we didn't get s far as I hoped but we made a little progress on saturday. We made the door and finished assembly of the octogon.

IMG_3752.JPG

Next we temporarily fitted the corner trim. So we could make the the lip for the top.
IMG_3754.JPG

Then we cut, stripped and sanded some trim pieces for the bottom. But didn't complete the band saw fitment cuts.

IMG_3759.JPG

After we finish making the bottom trim pieces we'll move onto the top trim pieces. Then it'll be a whole lot of sanding and prep for stain/clear coat. I'm going to order a sheet of faux rock today to begin the habitat portion.

Last edited:
It's been slow going but i cut out the top trim quarter rounds. They're quite wet so they'll have to dry before fitment cuts.
IMG_3763.JPG

Next I took off the corner posts and did a lot of sanding. Then we started staining.

IMG_3768.JPG

We finish sanded and put the corner posts back on. You can see the quarter rounds needing a little more dry time before we can finish the pedestal and begin the habitat.
IMG_3772.JPG

coming along nicely, try adding some old mans beard (moss) to some spots??? maybe a photo embedded somewhere in the panels??

Looking good. How many hours into it so far?
When you add getting a cut permit, cutting the logs, stripping the bark, sanding, design and build time, I'm slightly north of 20 hours at this point. This is my first attempt at something like this so it's learn as I go.

This project is taking more time and effort than I thought it would but I made some more progress. I took the boys out shed hunting and collected a few stumps to use in the habitat.
stumps.jpg

I finished all the trim pieces and glued/nailed the final assemby of the pedestal portion.
final ped assy.jpg

I chose this stump to use as the base center piece.
Stump Choice.jpg

I had to do some significant hollowing on the underside of the stump to be able to attach nuts to the all thread that comes out of the mount.
hollowing.jpg

I mocked up the stump.
Mocked up.jpg

Finally I test fitted the mount on the pedestal.
test fit.jpg
Next up will be the rock portion.

Sorry this project has been taking awhile but we're close to done and have been having fun working on it.
First up on our progress we decided where to permanantly mount the stump and mark for a hole to be able to attach the ram to the stump from the underneath.
IMG_3889.JPG

Throughout the summer as my son and I were on scouting trips, we we're mindful of things we might want to include in a pedestal habitat if we were successful at taking his ram. In the picture below there are some cool burnt roots, crystals, a rattle snake skin, vegetation from the kill site, the spent cartridge from my sons one shot one kill, and the foam we use to carve our habitat rocks.
IMG_3907.JPG

We cut and glued the 2" foam insulation into quasi rock stacks and then began carving them to take on the rock shapes we wanted.
IMG_3892.JPG

IMG_3899.JPG

We finished carving the rocks so that they would overhang onto the lip of the pedestal and used some spackle to fill in some unwanted gaps.
IMG_3900 (1).JPG

We had to redo one rock because we found out the hard way that you can't spray paint foam insulation without it melting. So after we recarved a rock we put a latex paint base layer and began the multi-layer painting of the rocks.
IMG_3905.JPG

Afterthe latex base layer we use a spray bottle and tempera paint to layer some black, umber, sienna, yellow ocher, and them dry brushed some white highlghts.
IMG_3909.JPG

The burnt roots were growing on the cliff face right below where I'm standing in this picture. We knew they were unique and we would want them "growing" in our pedestal rocks.
IMG_3538.JPG

We attached a burnt root and added some lichens from rocks near the kill site.
IMG_3914.JPG

We found one exposed rock with crystals while scouting and collected the larger ones for use later on. Her is a pic of the rock as it was on the mountain.
IMG_2897 (2).jpg

I knew I wouldn't be able to do a perfect match but we tried to recreate something resembling the crystals we found on the mountain. Here's our attempt.
IMG_3915.JPG

All that is left is to add dirt, vegetation, a part of the rattle snake skin and then my sons spent cartridge laying on the dirt as though it had just been ejected. Then the final piece will be to install the Ram and post him for you all to see. I'm excited to complete this for my son.
IMG_3911.JPG

Well we went for a drive and got some dirt out towards the kill site. We sifted it and then made a diluted elmers glue spray and layered the dirt up between the rocks.
IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

Next we glued in the vegetation and my son's .270 casing that he used to shoot the ram
IMG_3933.PNG

We glued more vegetation on the baqck side and a rattle snake skin we found while scouting.
IMG_3934.PNG

Nice job, next time use square tubing for your attachment that way you don't see the rods. And you want to cut the stump at the same angle of the brisket so it sits flush on the stump without seeing the attachment.

Nice job, next time use square tubing for your attachment that way you don't see the rods. And you want to cut the stump at the same angle of the brisket so it sits flush on the stump without seeing the attachment.
Great idea. This was my first pedestal/habitat. We kind of learned as we went. Early on we made a sketch of our pedestal vision. This was before we got the Ram mount back from the taxidermist.
IMG_3941.JPG

To hide the all thread at this point I'm thinking of cutting a small juniper round. Then cutting it at and angle and cutting a "horseshoe" so that it can slide around the all thread and match the brisket angle. Any other ideas?

A question: in one of the photos the ram's head appears off center of the pedestal. Did you have to put some sort of ballast in the base? I also have a Ca. bighorn shoulder mount and it's very heavy compared to a mule deer mount. Just wondering...great looking pedestal!

A question: in one of the photos the ram's head appears off center of the pedestal. Did you have to put some sort of ballast in the base? I also have a Ca. bighorn shoulder mount and it's very heavy compared to a mule deer mount. Just wondering...great looking pedestal!
The mount attachment point is centered towards the rear of the habitat base. The ram's head is off center to the left side of the pedestal and protrudes around 8-9 inches forward or the pedestal. The base octogon from ground up is 5/8" plywood, followed by 2 layers of 2x8' and topped with 3/4" MDF. The juniper logs are dense and heavy. The pedestal is plenty heavy to keep the Ram from tipping forward. I didn't weigh it but it was a beast to carry upstairs to my boys bedroom. Here's where it is in my son's bedroom
IMG_3982.JPG

I tried to take a photo looking straight down from above so you can see the offset. and then again from a diferent angle.
IMG_3983.JPG
IMG_3984.JPG

Thanks. I did not realize the base was that heavy and I see where the support is near the back. Again, that is a great looking mount. You are talented. Congrats to your son !

Must be nice to wake up and stare at ram...LOL

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom