Making Lemonade

vandalpride

[p][p align=right]Thread Views Counter....[/p]

I have always really enjoyed reading the hunt adventure challenges. Love the whole process of scouting, prep, and finally the hunt. I was hoping this year I would be headed to the Book Cliffs with an archery deer tag. Not only did I not draw that tag with 8 pts I got my last choice and now have a Box Elder archery deer tag. I'll get a general archery elk tag as well too. I still have an antelope draw I'm waiting on from WY and I put if for a late season buck hunt in ID with super low draw odds. My main other hunt assuming my dad is up for it will be rifle elk hunting in Idaho. He just finished up his chemotherapy in April and isn't bouncing back too rapidly so he's not sure how he'll feel by then. He lives in Idaho Falls so hopefully he be up for a scouting trip soon.

I named this adventure challenge making lemonade because we all want those dream tags but this season is about the rest of the years when we don't draw and end up with over the counter tags. It's about making lemonade when the draw gives you lemons.

Today was my first time out to the Uintas to check up on a zone I had a tree stand in a couple years ago. Still a lot of snow up high but the elk are already there so that is a good sign.

[IMG]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/5289img20150607094047284.jpg

3787img20150607100510455.jpg

Here are my two scouting buddies. They had to stay in the truck when I was shooting my bow today. You can see how they scrutinize my shooting form.

8505img20150607105321193hdr.jpg

Thanks for reading.

I had a couple days off so I figured I go look for some deer. My dad came down from Idaho and met me yesterday morning. We set up camp and came up with a game plan.

2962img20150618130334414.jpg

This isn't really what you'd think the country would look like driving in. It sure looks like good deer country though.

336img20150618145400872.jpg

The snow was pretty much gone except for a couple for places on the north facing slopes but there was a lot of water on top.

985img20150618143709930hdr.jpg

Saw a lot of deer too. Here are three bucks I caught on a fence line. Sorry about the picture quality it was on my phone. I need to remember to bring my camera along next time.

1752img20150618151513819.jpg

Not sure how well you can see it but there are 18 deer in this pic. Nine of them were bucks with one or two being decent. It is kind of weird seeing that many deer in one group. I don't think I've ever seen that many together even on winter range. I've heard that the trophy quality is pretty low in this area but seeing this many deer on my first trip definitely got the blood pumping. I'll work on getting better pics the next time I head out. Thanks for reading.

So I may have to rethink the name of this post. I ended up not drawing a book cliffs tag I thought I had a good chance at but ended up drawing a really tough to get deer tag in Idaho. I was lucky and was the only nonresident to draw. It's funny I put in for it many years when I lived there and now I get it.

1902img20150623103048999.jpg

Well anyway I am super excited! I will probably just go along on my dad's elk hunt now and not get a tag. I am planning on holding out for a big deer until the rut unless I see a real good buck while I am helping my dad get his elk.

I figured since I was doing the hunt challenge and camofire had a sale I bought a trail cam. Went back out to my elk spot and set it up this morning. I didn't see any elk today but I pretty much was trying to slip in and out of the area since I figure the calves gotta be really small right now.

9396dscf3404.jpg

This wallow is about 75 yds from my stand.

6126dscf3408.jpg

My new trail cam. It is just a cheap model but hopefully the pics will be okay.

5166dscf3409.jpg

This little pond is about 30 yds from my stand.

All the pics seem pretty washed out I guess it was a bad time of day to take pics. Thanks for reading.

So I went out today to put up tree stand... Well actually I went last week but my pickup broke down on the way. I was pretty excited to get back up to my elk spot.

8434img20150723110725093.jpg

On the hike in I saw this rub. It looked like this years but I am not sure that is possible. I think I would've remember it though if it was old.

6422img20150723114041477.jpg

This looking directly north from my stand. There is a little pond to the left about 20 yds.

2449img20150723114044432.jpg

This is looking directly west from my stand. There is a wallow in the trees about 70 yards away.

3387img20150723115007360.jpg

Here's my tree stand....if you can see it. It's tucked back in there. I'll post pics from the trail cam when I go through them. Looks like mostly cows.

I had to work opening weekend but just got home from a few days on the stand. The elk are definitely still in small groups and not resounding to calls. All the bulls I saw were still in velvet. That being said I saw elk everyday and wish I was sitting in my tree stand right now and not on the couch. I'm having trouble with the photo link but I'll post up soon.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom