Manti le muzzy?

gonehuntn

I finally have a le utah elk tag and I'm looking for opinions, would bringing horses from oregon be worth the trouble or could a guy do fine with out? I'm still waiting for maps to show up but I think I sort of know where I want to start looking, although I'm always open to suggestions. Thanks

Agreed with ElkO, is a long way for horses but would be nice when it comes time to get one of those big ole stinky buggers out of a deep dark canyon.

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'll bring them with me. I'll be making a scouting trip in a couple months to hopefully learn some more about the unit. I sent pm's to you guys also.

LAST EDITED ON May-22-15 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]Good choice, they won't do you much good in Oregon.

I've got horese and use them less and less on elk hunts. Sure they are nice for that one day of packing out meat. But they sure require a lot of babysitting the rest of the time.

There are so many roads/trails on the Manti, using them to get around will not be the most effective way. An ATV and boots will be your best bet.

Sure, you feed them all year, and want to use them. But, the reality is they're probably not worth the hassel on what will probably be you only shot at hunting UT elk. Put the focus on the hunt, not the potential pack out.

You might have one hellish day of packing meat on your back, but it just adds to the adventure.

Bring them down on your scouting trip and you will then find out if they will be a good thing for the hunt, On the plus side it will help you find spots that you might pass up if your are only walk to. Finding some of those out of the way places could be your ticket for that Big one. Don't be fooled and think all the big bulls are on the mountain either check that stuff to the south of the mountain too.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom