Manti Unit or Beaver Unit?

JHuntDeer

Hey just seeking some advice and guys opinions. I am trying to decide between putting in for the general deer hunt on the Manti or the Beaver? I have hunted the Manti in the past but never the Beaver unit. Which unit do you think gives me a better chance at a nice buck? For those of you who have hunted the Beaver unit, what could a hunter expect? What is the Beaver unit like? PM me if you would like. Thanks.

Haha, crickets... by the way they are both good units for general Utah standards. Pick one and go, pretty comparable buck wise.

If you decide on the Beaver unit, I hope you do better than I and everyone else that reported negatively about it did last year.
Go prove us all wrong!??

Until there is a major turn around, I'm done with the beaver. I'm convinced the entire state of Utah has been over hunted for elk and deer. The emphasis on opportunity has hurt wildlife herds. From now on I'm using Utah hunts as a tune up for good hunting opportunities in other states.

>Until there is a major turn
>around, I'm done with the
>beaver. I'm convinced the entire
>state of Utah has been
>over hunted for elk and
>deer. The emphasis on opportunity
>has hurt wildlife herds. From
>now on I'm using Utah
>hunts as a tune up
>for good hunting opportunities in
>other states.

Well said.....

Same Here: The Beaver unit has gone way down hill. All for the purpose of opportunity. I am like the others on here, not expecting much from the Beaver unit, except seeing lots of hunters, camps and ATV riders.

If you get a chance to hunt in the snow and want to see as many lion tracks as deer tracks, hunt the Manti.

Thanks to those who responded. Your input will help me decide. Yeah I just heard so many good things about the General Beaver Unit Deer Hunt in the past, but it seems like things have changed. I have one general point so I thought I could draw the Muzzle loader hunt and then do some hiking and hunt high and get away from people but maybe its not any better than the Manti at all. I agree with whoever said that Utah hunts are a primer for good out of state hunts.

5-10 years ago I think the Beaver unit was one of the top general deer units in the state. It has flip-flopped to one of the poorer units in the last 2-3 years. There has been a lot of poaching there, but I imagine most of the units deal with that.

Thank YOU who validated my original post about the Beaver unit battle in the Utah forum.
That unit is in bad shape as far as deer are concerned!

From what I hear on hear the beaver is in the dumps. My little brother shot his first deer there. Cool thing about it we rented a house for the hunt from another fellow MM'er for the hunt. The guy helped show us where the deer were as well and we had a blast. I haven't stepped foot on the Beaver since. I hope it turns around I can remember seeing pics from friends year after year of pigs coming off that unit. Manti I haven't hunted for about 7 years. We would see some pretty nice bucks on the archery hunt when I went with a buddy. I have also heard of not so good reports on the manti in the past. But without being down there in a long time I couldn't tell you what the deer herd is like.

"We don't have a gun problem we have prescription drug problem."

The Manti Unit was ruined when they made the new units

It is a huge unit in terms of area going all the way through the san rafel swell so they give out an insane number of tags. The problem is everyone hunts on the Wasatch Plateau. So now you see more hunters then you ever did in the past. I live on the unit and no longer hunt it. We hunted it the first year of the new units and I saw more people on the mountain then I have ever seen in my life hunting it. We no longer put in for tags on the Manti and hunt in different units.

>I hate to see a man
>give up on the beaver.
>

Yep, from now on it's Muskrat. Smaller, cheaper and easier to catch ;-)

>Cool
>thing about it we rented
>a house for the hunt
>from another fellow MM'er for
>the hunt.
photobucket.com/user/blaineburn/media/On%20the%20lake%202/muley1622.jpg.html]
muley1622.jpg
[/URL]
Still the same,,,Deer are down but far from done for.

RE: The Manti Unit was ruined when they made the new units

Don't let them fool you. The guys saying that the Beaver unit is bad will be putting in for it next year. They shoot many big buck down there every year and last year was no different. Watch the draw odds for the next few years. They are not going to improve. There is a reason for that.....

>Don't let them fool you.
>The guys saying that the
>Beaver unit is bad will
>be putting in for it
>next year. They shoot
>many big buck down there
>every year and last year
>was no different. Watch
>the draw odds for the
>next few years. They
>are not going to improve.
>There is a reason for
>that.....

care to wager draw odds don't go down. They will. Maybe only slightly, but they won't increase for the near while.

>Don't let them fool you.
>The guys saying that the
>Beaver unit is bad will
>be putting in for it
>next year. They shoot
>many big buck down there
>every year and last year
>was no different. Watch
>the draw odds for the
>next few years. They
>are not going to improve.
>There is a reason for
>that.....

It's not April 1st.....

They will say the unit was in good shape until all the snowfall, and that the problem is the winter kill not the mismanagement of tags.

Manti unit is struggling, too many tags and young bucks getting blasted even off the beaten path. I hunted it in 2018 and saw some small bucks but very few deer overall where there used to some good deer numbers. I could have shot a small 4x4 buck miles from the road but decided to eat tag soup.[font face="verdana" color="green"]
Jake Swensen

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom