Marble Mountain Apprentice Elk

Rebar_Guy

So my buddies 15 year old son was lucky enough to draw an apprentice elk tag. My buddy is not a forum follower so I am reaching out for him and his son Kole to see if there are any members that might be able to help this young man have an awesome adventure. They have been doing a lot of research but I wanted to ask if anyone hear might have any helping advise for them. Thank you.

Wife had the cow tag 2 years ago and got one and my Dad had a bull tag last year and killed a 5x5.

I would say if he is looking for something big his odds might be better in areas we didnt hunt but we did see a couple big bulls both years. Couldn't get dad over to the bigger bulls last year. Probably saw 7 bulls in 5 days 3 bigger than his.

20190915_165900.jpg

I will gather a bit of info and send you a PM. I have a friend whose dad drew too. Wish the kid luck from me.

Hire a guide..its a tough hunt..their there just need to go into wilderness to get on them..
A lot of bear.
No guide you need spend all available spare time with a pack on your back.
You not going to have any success from a road..
I had tag 17 years ago.
jester

Hire a guide..its a tough hunt..their there just need to go into wilderness to get on them..
A lot of bear.
No guide you need spend all available spare time with a pack on your back.
You not going to have any success from a road..
I had tag 17 years ago.
jester

All due respect jester. This is not entirely true. We could have killed bulls all 5 days we hunted if my father wasnt 79 and recovering from brain surgery 2 months before the hunt. Some of the best bulls are in the wilderness for sure. But not all of them . There are pockets of elk all over the unit. It is a much different hunt than 17 years ago when many of the elk were in only a few places.

By all means a guide will help and he may or may not take you into the wilderness together it done. Last year a guided hunter killed one of the bigger bulls we were after. He was drawn in a RMEF drawing I believe. Part of the package was a guide and access behind a timber company gate. We hunted behind it but only on foot. If we had been able to go behind the gate dad would have killed either the bull they did or the bigger 6x7 on opening day.

That said. By all means a guide will make the hunt much smoother.

It's very warm around here that time of year. You have to be able to get em out in a timely manner. Take a look at the country between Beaver Cr. and Siead Valley on the north side of the river. Lots of elk and lots of roads to help you get them out quicker.

It's very warm around here that time of year. You have to be able to get em out in a timely manner. Take a look at the country between Beaver Cr. and Siead Valley on the north side of the river. Lots of elk and lots of roads to help you get them out quicker.

This.

Very hot during the elk hunt.

Call McBroom Outfitters. He is most likely full but might be able to help a junior. You have a once in a lifetime tag.

McBroom is great from what I hear. There are other who are great too I'm sure. McBroom was guiding wilderness blacktails as far back as late 80s and probably further out of little North Fork.

I want to reiterate that I made my comment only to say it can definitely be done on your own. I personally have never hired a guide or outfitter and my dad wouldn't even consider it on this hunt or a PIW NV deer tag he had 15 years ago. He would rather hunt our way and eat the tag. We have no problem with people who do, nor would we look down on them in any way. Just not our thing. So it didnt give me pause to recommend to the OP to go for it. Plus it sounded like they had been researching and he didnt ask for guide recommendations etc..

Now that said. I cannot overstate the need to have a plan for retrieval. It is a huge chore when it goes well in cooler climates to get an elk out. It is a nightmare when things go bad. And this is a very warm weather hunt. You need 3 or 4 willing and able packers on hand IMO. That's not to say 2 or even 1 guy cant get an elk handled on this hunt if things go well.

The elk use some burns there. No shade and not much to hang quarters from so if you kill him in the morning your first priority is to get it to a place to cool. Could be a long pack for quarters just to hang them in the shade to get them cool then a long pack to the truck. Elk often dont just drop where you shoot them so that could put them much farther from the truck or a cool place. Just a couple examples of how things could go against you. Highlighting IMO why more packers is better.

If the OPs party is of the opinion that a once in a lifetime hunt can only be had if the kid kills a big bull then he should look to a guide.

But if he is of the opinion that it is a once in a lifetime hunt even if they dont kill a bull and they have help on hand if they do I have specific knowledge of one herd of about 80 cows or so and for the last few years at least several bulls including 3 or 4 good to big bulls that live in an accessible area out of the wilderness, rough and nasty country but accessible. I'm willing to share it with the hope it helps the kid have a once in a lifetime hunt and maybe kill a bull too. No guarantees.

Last year there was 3 cow tagholders hunting the same herd and I dont think any of them killed elk. I think one of the guys didnt see an elk.

Rebar, I think huntindad4 has said it very well. He makes very good points for guided and unguided. Most important is have a great time and enjoy the time in the field. Good luck for your group and be safe.

We hunted it 2 years ago. We are grand parents of 4. It was my wives tag. We had no trouble finding or killing a bull. I scouted a couple long weekends in the summer. There is sign all over the place.
Call the biologist and warden in the area,
Prime dates this year, We called the bull right out of a clear cut and into our laps.
It was very hot that year, highs in 90's
I've packed lots of elk but none as big as this one,
Hind quarters on her bull went 127& 122 lbs.
Get in shape and have a good time
I'm going back this year to help a friend

McBroom is great from what I hear. There are other who are great too I'm sure. McBroom was guiding wilderness blacktails as far back as late 80s and probably further out of little North Fork.

I want to reiterate that I made my comment only to say it can definitely be done on your own. I personally have never hired a guide or outfitter and my dad wouldn't even consider it on this hunt or a PIW NV deer tag he had 15 years ago. He would rather hunt our way and eat the tag. We have no problem with people who do, nor would we look down on them in any way. Just not our thing. So it didnt give me pause to recommend to the OP to go for it. Plus it sounded like they had been researching and he didnt ask for guide recommendations etc..

Now that said. I cannot overstate the need to have a plan for retrieval. It is a huge chore when it goes well in cooler climates to get an elk out. It is a nightmare when things go bad. And this is a very warm weather hunt. You need 3 or 4 willing and able packers on hand IMO. That's not to say 2 or even 1 guy cant get an elk handled on this hunt if things go well.

The elk use some burns there. No shade and not much to hang quarters from so if you kill him in the morning your first priority is to get it to a place to cool. Could be a long pack for quarters just to hang them in the shade to get them cool then a long pack to the truck. Elk often dont just drop where you shoot them so that could put them much farther from the truck or a cool place. Just a couple examples of how things could go against you. Highlighting IMO why more packers is better.

If the OPs party is of the opinion that a once in a lifetime hunt can only be had if the kid kills a big bull then he should look to a guide.

But if he is of the opinion that it is a once in a lifetime hunt even if they dont kill a bull and they have help on hand if they do I have specific knowledge of one herd of about 80 cows or so and for the last few years at least several bulls including 3 or 4 good to big bulls that live in an accessible area out of the wilderness, rough and nasty country but accessible. I'm willing to share it with the hope it helps the kid have a once in a lifetime hunt and maybe kill a bull too. No guarantees.

Last year there was 3 cow tagholders hunting the same herd and I dont think any of them killed elk. I think one of the guys didnt see an elk.
Hi Huntindad, I have been reading through your thread here from your hunt a few years back. I am new to the forum and could not figure out if there was a way to message you directly. I drew the Bull Tag for Marble Mountains and am looking to learn about the area. As a school teacher coming up with the money for a guide is going to be tough. I am going to try and have made some calls to ask about pricing. If you have any other suggestions or areas other than discussed in your posts above please let me know. I am going to begin scouting this summer but as you know it is a large hunt area. Thank you

Credit card dude.... once in a lifetime tag. If I ever draw a good Elk or Sheep tag I will hire the best guide I can find.... got the rest of your life to pay for it but you don't get to pick when you draw.

It would be different if you lived in the unit or had first hand knowledge but for me time is limited....jmo

Like Hardway said. Once in a lifetime tag. Call McBroom he may have an opening. If he does take it as you will get the full experience of an elk hunt. I have gone with him and others I know have gone. Great hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom