Markhor hunt

IDbullz

I used to think Marco Polo sheep hunting was where the rich boys went, now I know what some of these big boys hunts really cost. $195,000 for a Kashmir Markhor hunt.
ED55D081-BF18-404A-8AA2-34979D437D95.jpeg

Still only half the price of a Montana Gov Sheep tag, or an Arizona Gov Deer tag…. See, it’s a bargain

My hopes of a stone sheep hunt are dashed by the $70,000 price tag , and the fact that there just aren’t many good size stones left do to mismanagement

A Marco Polo hunt is reasonably affordable, as far as sheep hunting is concerned. You can find a quality hunt in Tajikistan for $25,00-30,000. High Altai Argali (Ovis Ammom Ammom) and the Markhors are where prices become 6 figure hunts.

A somewhat amusing tale about exotic sheep hunts...

I don't remember the sheep species, but it happened during the big auction night at one of the last Safari Club conventions that was held in LV back in the 80s.

Jim Zumbo and I were BSing, while standing against the wall way in the back of the hall. We were both wearing our cowboy hats.

Whatever sheep it was, the hunt was to be the first of its kind during modern times in this particular location in Asia. The outfitter was guaranteeing a world record. And so the bidding began and eventually climbed into the $200K+ range.

It was the wrong time for me to raise my hat so I could brush my hair back a bit. The auctioneer spotted that and immediately said, "And we have $XXXK from the gentleman in the back of the room with the cowboy hat. He was pointing our way.

Knowing we were the only two there with cowboys hats on our heads, I looked at Zumbo and asked if he had really bid. He said, "No. I think he means you." Right then, my jaw dropped, and I began wondering what I was going to tell Ellen when I got home. More importantly, I wondered where I would get that kind of money to pay for it.

Fortunately, someone wanted the hunt more than I did. Just as I was about to protest, a guy upped the bidding. Actually, I quickly found out that I was pretty safe; the hunt finally sold for about $100K more than my bid had been.

When I went on my Aoudad hunt back in Feb.,,,the guide said
one of his previous hunters took a Markhor. At the time, the guide didnt know what they were, but apparently the hunter did. Paid the same as an Aoudad. Also said there were 2 others with the one he took.
This is free range stuff in TX. border country. Said they had no idea
where they came from.
I know I was looking for one of them other Markhor as much as I was an Aoudad.

When I went on my Aoudad hunt back in Feb.,,,the guide said
one of his previous hunters took a Markhor. At the time, the guide didnt know what they were, but apparently the hunter did. Paid the same as an Aoudad. Also said there were 2 others with the one he took.
This is free range stuff in TX. border country. Said they had no idea
where they came from.
I know I was looking for one of them other Markhor as much as I was an Aoudad.
There are a few of the high fence outfits that sell hunts for them. Ox Ranch in Uvalde being one of them.

Even in Texas they seem to be one of the most expensive hunts with prices averaging around $22,000 and some sell them $500 per inch of Safari Club score meaning a Markhor with 80 inch score would fetch about $40,000. Seems like a great business venture but I’m sure it would turn out to be just another Ostrich meat farming multi-layer pyramid scheme and get oversold.

If you think about it that is a cheap texas hunt for what they sell for in the wild. You can go hunt a kudu in africa for 2000 in africa will cost you at least 7000 and normally more in texas.

To pay 20,000 to 40,000 for one that would normally cost 180,000 not as bad as I would of thought. Dont think it would be near the same type of hunt but for the guys who dont care not bad.

If you think about it that is a cheap texas hunt for what they sell for in the wild. You can go hunt a kudu in africa for 2000 in africa will cost you at least 7000 and normally more in texas.

To pay 20,000 to 40,000 for one that would normally cost 180,000 not as bad as I would of thought. Dont think it would be near the same type of hunt but for the guys who dont care not bad.
Very correct sir. I know of several outfitters that have sold Stag hunts here in Texas north of $30k, with one going for $100k for a supposedly 600" SCI stag. An oilfield service company bought that for a client. I know the guide pretty well.

For a long time, the Nyalas were bringing big dollars, but so many ranches have them now that I have seen those prices come down. Same with trophy Eland bulls.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom