Marshall Tucker

feddoc

Long Time Member
Pretty good band.

Their namesake died recently.

Marshall Tucker Band

·

"We are saddened to hear of the passing of someone very special to our hearts, for very obvious reasons. Our band’s namesake, Mr. Marshall Tucker, passed away peacefully yesterday morning at the age of 99. Though he was never a member of our band, we wouldn’t be here today without his historic name. In the early days when we were rehearsing in an old warehouse in Spartanburg, we found a keychain inscribed with his name. We needed a name asap… and the rest is history! Marshall was blind since birth but amazingly could play the heck out of the piano. He always said his talent was simply God-given. He tuned pianos in South Carolina for decades. We are thankful for Mr. Marshall Tucker and the life he lived! Sending blessings to his wife and family.
God Bless,
The Marshall Tucker Band"

Marshall Tucker.jpg

From another source:
“MARSHALL TUCKER BAND” NAMESAKE HAS PASSED AWAY (1/20) - Friends, I have learned from one of his relatives that Marshall Tucker, namesake of Spartanburg’s “Marshall Tucker Band,” passed away this morning after suffering a fall. He would’ve been 100 years old this coming November. His great great niece Karamie Sullivan Hallman told me in a Facebook message, “(Marshall) truly lived an amazing life and was one of the most interesting, genuinely nice people I have known.” He was quite the gentleman. I met Marshall in 2002 when I arranged for MTB lead singer Doug Gray and him to have lunch together at Spartanburg’s Beacon Drive-In for a story on WSPA-TV (I hope to find my photos from that meeting and post them later). Marshall, who lived in Columbia, was blind from birth. He was known for having the gift of perfect pitch and was a professional piano tuner. He played beautifully. The story goes that the MTB needed a name for the band. They found a key ring with Marshall’s name on it in a Spartanburg building where he used to work, and the “Marshall Tucker Band” was born. The band celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2022. Notice in the attached pix I took from a video of Marshall playing that a plaque from the band is on the piano. So very glad I had the opportunity to meet this unique man who by accident became the namesake of one of Southern rock’s greatest bands. Doug Gray tells me there will be a statement from the MTB tomorrow (1/21) at marshalltucker.com

I used to live in Jacksonville Beach, FL. Worked with a guy from SC. We went to a bar one day after work and he was loudly declaring how Marshall Tucker band was better than Skynyrd. I had to shush him mightily to keep him from getting a beat down. I like em both but won't get a beatin' for MTB!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom