Mathews Monster

DBLung

Just shot one at Mtn Man Outdoors in Ephraim. Shoots Good, I Think its a little easier to control than an ex-force.
What do you guys think?

I AGREE WITH YOU! I ALSO TESTED IT AGAINST THE X-FORCE SAME BOW WEIGHT SAME DRAW LENTGH AND SAME GRAIN ARROW AND THEY SHOT IDENTICAL SPEEDS. I WAS IMPRESSED WITH HOW QUIET,ACCURATE AND HOW FAST IT WAS.

Great bow! I shot one last week. I didn't think I would like it, but it shot a 400 and something grain arrow with my 27 inch draw a touch over 300 fps. Wow was it quiet and smooth.

not going to buy one yet. Ill let everyone else test drive them for a year or so and get the bugs out if any before ill put my $$$$ down on one.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-09 AT 11:25AM (MST)[p]I had the same setiments as sw. I thought I wouldn't like it but it really surprized me. Much smoother than I thought and dead in the hand. My only reservation is that it is mechanically complicated. I'll also wait a bit until they get the kinks worked out.

I also ordered a new Mathews monster and I was very impressed with the bow, it was smooth, accurate, quite and I love the draw cycle. For me with the sight on a target it just sat there and didnt move.

I SHOT IT AND IT WAS OK. ITS FAST BUT NOT VERY SMOOTH COMPARED TO THE NEW HOYT ALPHA MAX!!!!!!!!!! I GUESS FOR YOU SPEED GUYS IT WILL WORK. BUT GIVE ME COMFORT,FORGIVING, AND SMOOTH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. I REALLY THOUGHT THE DXT WAS A BETTER BOW. IF YOU LIKE THAT SORT OF THING ( MATHEWS THAT IS)

I went in to the bowshop to buy the Monster and ended up with the Reezen. The reezen was a bit smoother and much lighter. The monster got real difficult just before it breaks. Also, the spped on the reezen is not much slower than the monster. I dont know what th big deal is anyway as you cant buy an arrow to match the bow speed.

You guys said you shot the Monster against the X force and they shot the same FPS. Was this against the new X force Omen?????
Elkhuntr

For you guys looking at getting a monster...and are trying to find an arrow to spine out for it...look at the gold tip big game 100's. I shoot 30" 66# with a 28.75" gold tip big game arrow, with NAP 2" vanes and a wrap, 100 grain point and it spines perfectly......and get this, it will generate 311 FPS with 100 pounds of KE.....from a 455 grain total arrow weight....

You guys like the draw cycle of the monster? Compared to the Reezen I thought the draw cycle was gawd awful. It's fine until the cams start to break then it's like a 2nd stage.I think I will stick with my Drenalin and see what happens next year.

Im with you ironhead. It felt like the last 3-4 inches were the hardest part of the draw cycle then it would break over to nothing. I couldn't keep the arrow from popping up when I drew it back. I didn't like it at all. I thought the Reezen shoots more like the other mathews like the Drenalin. I would defiantly say that i would prefer the Reezen out of the two. And it seems like the Drenalin shoots its self. Just what I thought maybe im just a weeney.
JC

I shot one last night at rockey mtn. sprts. it is a odd looking bow, that i felt was smooth althway untill the last 3-4 inches. it just did not seem comfortable to me the grip was to big and it had terrable shock. plus it did not impress me that much for the speed numbers. they rate it at 360 the one i shot was set at 65 pounds and only shot 8 fps faster that my 101st airbourn. i belive if i had the 82nd it would shoot faster than the monster. i guess i had better stick to what i got.

moseley middleton

Moseley M

If the Monster is odd looking then I guess the PSE bows are odd looking, 8 FPS faster than what you have is pretty good when you talking speeds in the 300's fps. Rememeber 360 fps is IBO with a 70 pound bow not 65 pounds. How fast did you get the Monster to shoot?? What grain was the arrow??

I've shot the Monster and the Reezen 6.5 half a dozen times in the last 2 weeks. I'm a Mathews fan anyway, so I liked both of them for what they are.

The draw cycle on the Monster is smooth until the big "hump" at the end, but the valley is deep and the back wall is solid--creeping should not be a problem. It's shooting through the chronograph at 290 fps with a 450 grain arrow at 64+/- pounds and 29" draw. It's a speed bow, but the hand shock is tolerable and the noise isn't what you'd expect. The bow I shot had the "Dead End String Stop" on and it makes a difference.

The Reezen is a lot smoother--and it is meant to be. I shot it side by side with a Drenalin I just bought on ebay, and the draw cycles are very similar. I didn't chronograph it, but I will next time I get a chance. It shoots very nice--with the "Dead End" installed there is almost NO discernible hand shock and it is noticeably faster than my Outback with 450 grain arrows. The Outback shoots 262 fps at 67 pounds 29" and I would guess the Reezen is 280ish.

Bottom line is that if you like speed bows you'd probably like the Monster. If you like smoother, milder mannered bows, the Reezen may be more your style.

welcome back two cam bows. everyone has been spoiled with "smooth" single cams.

buying a speed bow to shoot 65lbs? thats not right. crank it on up to 80.

"Sometime people say things that simply amaze me"

I looked at one today & shot the Reezen as well. I didn't care for the Monster & i thought the Reezen was a better shooting bow.
7 Mag

BTW. The Reezen 6.5 is only about 10 fps (give or a take a few fps) slower than the Monster and its a single cam, much smoother and lighter.

Funny how different people can shoot the same bow and have different reactions... I thought the Monster was actually a much smoother and more solid feeling bow than the Reezen.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-09 AT 07:10AM (MST)[p]I hated the reezen. Way too top heavy and way too much vibration after the shot.

The monster really surprised me. I thought it shot much better than the reezen. The only problem for me was the weight. The demo version at the shop with all the rubber and gadgets on it weighs in at about 10 pounds. That's not something I want to haul up and down the mountainside.

My favorite 09 bow so far is the alphamax.

I shot both of the new Mathews bows and the Hoyt Alphamax. Of the three I definetly liked the Alphamax the best. I was shooting a mathews drenaline last year but I saw absolutely no improvement on it with the Reezin or the Monster. I didn't care for either of them and I felt the Drenaline was a better bow than both. I did like the draw and smoothness of the Alphamax but after shooting it next to the new 2009 Xforce dreamseason I choose the Dreamseason. The improvements from last years cam to this year is noticeable. There is no big pop at the end of the draw cycle like the new Monster and last years Xforce cams. It was just as smooth as the Alphamax and to me it felt better in my hand. I like the skinny grip and with a IBO of 342 it is plenty fast. I also like the fact that it has a 7" brace height which is rare on a speed bow. Very forgiving and smooth and I am shooting 71# at 301 fps on a 406 grain arrow. That results in about 80-81 lbs of kenetic energy. If you have not shot one of the new 09 Dreamseasons you should try it. I thought I would stick with Mathews for a while but this bow impressed me.

www.basinarcheryshop.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom