Mathews V3 27....50th Bday present

Wiszard

Long Time Member
My wife and kids bought me a new Mathews V3 27 for my bday. Normally, I would like to be the purchaser of this type of equipment but she wanted to surprise me for my Bday. Shes a giver. :) I have been out of the archery game for about 10 years now but mentioned to her many months ago that I want to get back into it in order to be able to hunt elk in the early season. Now, I must get arrows for it and set the draw length and all that stuff done at the pro shop now. My question is what arrows (grain weight) should I be considering for both deer and elk? Can I use the same arrows for both? I am assuming if it'll kill an elk, it'll def kill a deer but is it preferred to use lighter arrows for deer? Any info would be appreciated. I am looking forward to getting the block target our of the attic and hitting the backyard for sighting it in next week.

Steve

My wife and kids bought me a new Mathews V3 27 for my bday. Normally, I would like to be the purchaser of this type of equipment but she wanted to surprise me for my Bday. Shes a giver. :) I have been out of the archery game for about 10 years now but mentioned to her many months ago that I want to get back into it in order to be able to hunt elk in the early season. Now, I must get arrows for it and set the draw length and all that stuff done at the pro shop now. My question is what arrows (grain weight) should I be considering for both deer and elk? Can I use the same arrows for both? I am assuming if it'll kill an elk, it'll def kill a deer but is it preferred to use lighter arrows for deer? Any info would be appreciated. I am looking forward to getting the block target our of the attic and hitting the backyard for sighting it in next week.

Steve
Wiz,

Scott or Joel at CCA will get you set up. Me personally, I only shoot Goldtip HunterPro arrows and Slicktrick 100 gr broadheads. I use to shoot 68 lbs but as I age and shoot less I've dropped it to 60 lbs. You're not too far away from me if you want to chat archery and equipment.

Wiz,

Scott or Joel at CCA will get you set up. Me personally, I only shoot Goldtip HunterPro arrows and Slicktrick 100 gr broadheads. I use to shoot 68 lbs but as I age and shoot less I've dropped it to 60 lbs. You're not too far away from me if you want to chat archery and equipment.
They bought the bow at CCA and they told my wife and son for me to come back up and we'll get things more dialed in. I used to shoot Gold Tip back when and they worked well. Do you elk hunt with a bow? My only concern is having too light of an arrow for elk. I will prob do more elk hunting with the bow than deer....at least I hope so. :)

They bought the bow at CCA and they told my wife and son for me to come back up and we'll get things more dialed in. I used to shoot Gold Tip back when and they worked well. Do you elk hunt with a bow? My only concern is having too light of an arrow for elk. I will prob do more elk hunting with the bow than deer....at least I hope so. :)
Yep, whenever I can get a tag I'll hunt elk with my bow. This is my archery bull from last year.

20200904_100207.jpg

I shoot the gold tip Pierce out of my V3 31. Total arrow weight with tip is around 410 grains. Moving 310 fps. Perfect for both elk and deer, and isn't giving up any speed.

Lots of talk about needing super heavy arrows for elk and it's just not necessary in my opinion. You go too heavy and you give up speed and forgiveness, go too lite and you give up mass and momentum. find the happy medium

Steve
Welcome back to archery! You will like that matthews. I switched over to a Vertix last year. IMy advice for arrows would be Easton FMJ’s. I think a general rule of thumb for arrow weight is 6gr/lb of draw weight. Use the manufacture’s charts to figure it out though. FMJ’s are aluminum over carbon. I will never shoot a carbon arrow ever again. Had one break in half upon releasing and the back half went into the base of my thumb. Could probably find pics of that on here somewhere. Very expensive arrow!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom