Mattress advice

If you're talking about the large air mattresses that you use at home I wouldn't unless you put several blankets down to sleep on top of. I made the mistake once and it felt like I was sleeping on a block of ice because they don't have any insulation and that was in September when it wasn?t very cold.

I have never found a great option. The Alps Mountaineering lightweight series in my preference.

This one has always kept me Warm!

video_preview_0002.jpg

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I use a Canvas cutter. I us the bigger foam mattress. It is water proof and keeps the dust off and out of my bag. I went on a scout camp out. Used the other leaders summer tent. I knew it was forecast for thunder storm . Sure enough that tent leaked like a sieve. I just put my tent poles up and covered up and went back to sleep. I had standing water on top of me when I woke up. They also have a smaller air mattress set up. Good for horse back and back packing. https://canvascutter.com/bed-rolls/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhJuZ_5ms2wIVhqDsCh0yYA4TEAAYASAAEgI1a_D_BwE

I did a air mattress one time and froze my a$& off.. never again!! It Truely is like sleeping on Ice even if it's not that cold out....

For camping you should choose a lighter air mattress. The light weight comes from the lighter material and less amount used. Also I recommend to buy electric pump, it is more comfortable. If you want good model for home and for outdoor I recommend to check this review https://sleepissimple.com/best-air-mattress-reviews/ it made according to the customers reviews. And remember that saving money on such things is not a good idea.

As said before, standard air mattresses for residential use will leave you cold, even in the summer. If you have the money and think you will camp a lot, try the inflatable insulated air mattresses like Big Agnes Q-Core or Thermarest Neoair, both will work well and be comfy. You want to look at "R-value" on your air mattress. Anything under 3 should be considered a "warm season" pad, and anything over 3 will likely work in cooler temps. PM If you have any questions.

>LAST EDITED ON May-29-18
>AT 10:28?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON May-29-18
>AT 08:47?PM (MST)

>
>If you want the best and
>don't mind spending the money
>I'd get an Exped.
>I have one and it's
>pretty nice!
>
>https://www.rei.com/b/exped/c/sleep...ads-cots-and-hammocks&page=1&version=signals1
>
>
>This is the pad I have
>and use on my hunts
>based out of my truck.
>
I have the same mat and love it. For back packing I have the thermarest neoair xtherm.

I use a Neoair on backpack hunts. It only weighs a couple ounces and is super compact.....sleep like a baby. If it's super cold I'll add layers If sleeping under my pickup topper I use a thermarest. I've never had problems being cold on top of either one. I have a bed liner in my truck and added a giant area rug to keep things clean. Never felt cold from the metal truck bed.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-18 AT 11:38AM (MST)[p]We need more info.

What are you gonna do w/it?

Where are you gonna use it.

If you are gonna sleep close to a truck...3" or more of foam rubber.

If you are gonna carry it on your back, air, thermarest.
John 14:6

I agree with Stinky, except 4" or more of foam, 8" if you are my heavyweight son. That works good if you are camping in or near your truck and space in your outfit isn't a problem. Self inflating pads like Thermarest are great for backpacking. We used to buy a $1-2 vinyl air materess for backpacking, but they would never hold air all night and we would always wake up on the ground. Being on hard ground most of the night would be a bigger problem now that I am an old fart.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-18 AT 12:19PM (MST)[p]For backpacking I like the Klymit Static V pads.

For car camping I used one or two 3" foam pads (Home depot $19.99)

For sleeping at home I use the sleep number bed.:D For sleeping in the wall tent I use 3" foam on top of a cot. For backpack hunting and camping I use Neoair. fatrooster.

A simple way to insulate your Air mattress is just in a plain old Black Trash bag. Lay them on top of the mattress, Cover with a sheet. YOu will not be cold, even in the cold season.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-18 AT 01:26PM (MST)[p]https://www.amazon.com/Queen-Conventional-Polyurethane-Mattress-Cushion/dp/B00J3H9YAS

I'm looking at buying a queen size of this for my tent camping from truck.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/conventional.html

But just found this company which looks pretty cool. Awesome range of sizes, thicknesses and firmness. Easy to price shop too.

This will be an experiment, because my wife will finally be joining me in the US next month. Our first trip will be Chicago to WY, CO, Kaibab mostly tent camping in my Kodiak or Alaknak tents along the way. Will be hunting, sightseeing & visiting family. I have no idea how this will work out. Hoping this mattress if firm enough. Back in the day I used to drive on my hunts every year with a one ton Ford cargo van and a twin sized 4" foam mattress which was so comfortable!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom