Max Antelope Points

S

sagecreek

Wondering if any of you Antelope hunters out there have any advice? I will be going into the draws with max points and was wondering what units you guys would put in for. Thanks for any input.

Sagecreek

Yeah, I'm in the same boat and ponderin' the issue myself. I've not hunted Antelope yet, but I'm ready to do so.

+3

Include me in that max pool too.

I'll go for broke on my favorite unit as 1st choice and maybe end up drawing my 2nd choice muzzy Antelope again.

Robb

Any of the top units w/ low draw odds. I have max points too and I'm putting in, doubt you'll get much response until after the deadline, people don't want to lower their odds publicizing where they put in for until after the deadline has passed. Great thing about Wyoming though, plenty of big bucks in a lot of the leftover units. I'm hoping to get out of the PP game so I can hunt every other year again...this waiting sucks!

Max points also.. guess i'll join the club. My opinion is Wyoming as whole has quality antelope in each and every unit. From what I've seen an 80 incher can come from just about any where. I have been able to spend mine do to guiding obligations but when I do it will be in unit in the SW part of the state.

I would keep an eye on the winter this year,so far so good. I will be in Wyo at any cost hunting Lopes near Rawlins in 2012. BH1

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-11 AT 12:52PM (MST)[p]I'm not going to burn my max points yet. Another year or two with 2nd choice. The odds show which units the people think are the best.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-11 AT 02:05PM (MST)[p]WB---No way am I going to wait that many years to hunt a first choice when there are many great areas that you can draw with 3-4 PPs---just my opinion! I have a plan for two different units that I think I can draw with my 1 PP and shoot an 80" buck with a week to 10 days of scouting/hunting. I just need to decide now which one to put down as #1 and I have almost 4 months to ponder over it yet!!!

You guys are wasting precious hunting years building points, IMO. The increase in quality from a 2 point unit to a max point unit in the same region is negligible. There are certain areas of the state that regularly produce big bucks. Pick any unit in those regions and go hunting. Don't put so much emphasis on what someone selling a magazine says.

I've hunted bucks 5 times in the last 8 years, and although I haven't killed any booners, it's because I don't have the patience, not because they are not there. Here are the 5 I've killed...a couple very average bucks and a couple of decent ones. How many booners do you think are killed in the "premium" units each year? Time is more important than the unit number on your tag, IMO.

04WYAntelope.jpg

2005buckAnt.jpg

WYbuck06edit.jpg

Goat1.jpg

Buck1.jpg

CO---I'm with you on everything you stated bud. Those may not be booners, but they are all some darn nice goats for not having any patience, LOL! Time, I agree, is really needed to cover a lot of ground and glass a lot of animals off the beaten track. A lot of the units have great goats, but most guys seem to fill their tags in a day or two and go on to a deer or elk hunt a lot of the time. The mass going way up to the cutters on that 2009 goat is really something.

Well stated Oak - might as well go hunting! There are good and great units all over WY and you can shoot an 80"+ in probably a very large number of the units in the state. Typically it can take some time to find those good heads but not always - we ran across a Booner a few years back on the first afternoon of hunting. I truly don't feel that Garth has the units pegged right but I'm not gonna point that out.

That's the problem when lots of guys read Eastmans or Huntin Fool and put in for the tags they recommend. It does two bad things and that is it makes it harder to draw the tags and the pressure on those units many times drops them down from the top tier in a fairly short period of time.

Well stated Oak - might as
>well go hunting! There are
>good and great units all
>over WY and you can
>shoot an 80"+ in probably
>a very large number of
>the units in the state.
>Typically it can take some
>time to find those good
>heads but not always -
>we ran across a Booner
>a few years back on
>the first afternoon of hunting.
>I truly don't feel that
>Garth has the units pegged
>right but I'm not gonna
>point that out.

Yeah, 191, please, do not point that out. I like what those two groups are doing. Helpful to those of us who can go there and spend time looking in those green and yellow chip units. HF is the best thing that ever happened to some units. They drive apps to those glory units, allowing me to hunt WY bucks every year or two.

Buck in a zero point unit. Had only a day and half to hunt, or probably could have found a better one. Lots of good bucks in one and zero point units.

IMG_5672.jpg

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

ColoradoOak,

That's some of the most sound wisdom that's been posted on MM. Spend your time hunting, not building points. Time is the one thing that you can't get back.

Best of luck in the 2012 draws!

Another zero point unit buck from this year - taken in less than great conditions (rainy & muddy) by a less than competent antelope hunter:)

Not huge but IMHO not bad for DIY. Lots a places to find a nice buck that are far off the radar.

4637075.jpg

I can see three sets of antelope horns from where I sit in my office. Two were mid 70s bucks and one was over 80. It is tough to tell much difference even from a few feet away. From 500 or 600 yards, it gets really tough.

I used to worry about hunting in the better units and as a result, I only got to hunt every five or six years. Then I decided I liked hunting antelope enough that I wanted to do it every year. Now I put in for easier-to-draw units. As I've gained judging experience, the quality of bucks I kill has gone up. As others have indicated, there are good bucks in every unit.

All the units in the west are good for trophy bucks.

91-2/8 B&C, killed in a unit I drew on my second choice.
5800kahn.jpg

88-4/8 B&C (90-1/8 SCI), killed in one of the "good" units this year.
1936img_1089.jpg

I still believe you can hunt just about anywhere in WY and kill a big buck if you spend the time and know what you're doing.

www.PronghornGuideService.com

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom