Max Non Resident Elk Points 14

Buckjunkie

I have been pouring over Wyoming Elk stats and have found quite a few opportunities that look interesting. I just thought I would throw an Idea out there to MM members.

If you have some great info on a unit that we could team up and share points on, I would be open to offers.

BuckJ,

Don't mind the haters on here. But I do agree with them. You have a great opportunity to get an awesome elk tag. Stick with it, and shoot a monster.

If you already have a monster, and want to share points,
pm me and we can work something out. lol.

hwy

>BuckJ,
>
>Don't mind the haters on here.
>But I do agree with
>them.

And you're not a hater too?

>Definitely do not split, unless you
>are getting a private land
>hunt in return.

Exactly...this is what I was hoping for, but only if it's a hunt. I'm not crazy about shooting a bull in a pasture and definitely not anything under 320?.

My thought was if I could find a private landowner or someone with access in a limited quota unit that takes 7 points or less it might work out.

All I can say is "oh what I would give to be in the max point pool". It opens up possibilities to draw any tag in the state.
DRAW TAG, HIRE GUIDE, SHOOT MONSTER BULL !!!

Tons of options for you. Don't split your points. Decide on a few options. Late season? A few good options. Hunt in grizz country? Again a few options. Hire a guide? Stay in lodge? Tent? DYI? Archery?

Decide what's important to you... continue research. Go kill a monster bull. Good luck.

If I was you I would be looking into a late season tag. You have a chance to easily get a 380" bull.

>If I was you I would
>be looking into a late
>season tag. You have a
>chance to easily get a
>380" bull.

380? and easy in same sentence?

>All I can say is "oh
>what I would give to
>be in the max point
>pool". It opens up possibilities
>to draw any tag in
>the state.
>DRAW TAG, HIRE GUIDE, SHOOT MONSTER

I'm a do it yourself hunter. I would rather shoot a smaller bull on my own than a bigger bull with a guide.

So that limits me for Wyoming because as a NR I can't hunt the wilderness. My only friend from Wyoming passed away three years ago so I don't have that option anymore.

I prefer Park County because of the genetics. I am nuts about typicals.

Thanks for the suggestion.

>>If I was you I would
>>be looking into a late
>>season tag. You have a
>>chance to easily get a
>>380" bull.
>
>
>380? and easy in same sentence?
>

Yeah, I know a guy who bought a Commissioner tag for $17K and paid one of the Cody "hotshot" outfitters and didn't get a 380 bull.

I would clarify and say "you got a chance to get a 380 bull".

I guess chance would be more correct. Most guys shoot a 350 to 360 class bull instead of a 380. The reason is most guys dont ever get a chance at that caliber of a bull. When they see a 350 to 360 class they think its much larger. Trust me i am guilty as charged on this on all species.

Also weather is a key. If you get a warm November and december it can be a scramble to find those bulls. Thus having horses is a key element to cover ground quickly.

For those that have the tag this year well im jealous.

Buckjunkie,

I too have max points and I've been trying to draw a late season tag in the NW corner to experience an awesome migration hunt for big bulls. Tags are extremely limited and even with max points the odds to draw some of these tags in the regular or special draw are only about 10%. I'm really not phased by a 350? bull vs. a 380? bull as both are world class to me. As others have said, you have many options, including numerous private land hunts throughout Wyoming where you will be sure to draw with max points but the price to hunt on private will be considerably higher. Best of luck whichever route you chose.

The type 2 late hunts are amazing if you have the resources or ability to hire an outfitter. But even with max points you're facing tough draw odds but it's truly the best opportunity for a next level bull; 370 plus etc...

Coloradoboy

>The type 2 late hunts are
>amazing if you have the
>resources or ability to hire
>an outfitter. But even with
>max points you're facing tough
>draw odds but it's truly
>the best opportunity for a
>next level bull; 370 plus
>etc...
>
>Coloradoboy

I do, but am unwilling to hire a guide. I prefer to hunt with friends and family and am ready to accept the outcome. I do want the next world record, but am perfectly happy with a good bull on my own.

>I guess chance would be more
>correct. Most guys shoot a
>350 to 360 class bull
>instead of a 380. The
>reason is most guys dont
>ever get a chance at
>that caliber of a bull.
>When they see a 350
>to 360 class they think
>its much larger. Trust me
>i am guilty as charged
>on this on all species.
>
>
>Also weather is a key. If
>you get a warm November
>and december it can be
>a scramble to find those
>bulls. Thus having horses is
>a key element to cover
>ground quickly.
>
>For those that have the tag
>this year well im jealous.
>

Well said.. without horses, I believe it would be pointless to put in for late hunts, and depending on the hunt, a guide might be necessary for a non-res which sounds like the OP doesn't want... myself and a friend drew a top late tag this year and packed in and hunted for a week. It was the most fun ive ever had elk hunting. Conditions were very tough for the horses, icy trails and deep snow etc... but the elk were plentiful. My partner shot a 350-360 bull on opener which was close to the 50th bull we saw. I hunted 4 more days and passed up numerous in that category and was paid off with a dream 380 typical. If you are willing to hold out, it can pay off. But it was far from an easy hunt and being very comfortable and experienced with stock in the backcountry is necessary if you don't go guided.

Not meaning to change this thread but I'm sure several of us would love to see some pics of mntnguide's 380 bull !!!
Can't get enough of those.

So 56 and 59 would be the go-to units for someone with max points that wants to hold out for big bull? Suggestions on outfitters for these areas?

Several guys can put you on a big bull during these late hunts. Next point is who you want to spend your time with for a week or so in the back country. I know firsthand that Josh is Great!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom