Max points Wyoming NR

Going into next season I will have max points and would like to hear opinions on what units y’all would consider. I could be persuaded to go guided but would love DIY. Definitely looking for that trophy. I would consider myself very experienced having hunted and killed elk for 20 years. Let me know what you would do and why! Thanks

Last edited:
Area 62 with Josh Martoglio. GREAT EXPERIENCE. Expect to spend at least $13,000 all in including hunt, tag, tips etc. You will kill a bull. I just got back. Killed a great bull.

It was an AWESOME trip! Very happy with my bull. Second elk ever.

10C40495-4CFA-474A-A39B-BCC4B17B379A.jpeg

DC324F6D-6976-43A8-823E-DA2F97541CEA.jpeg

Mackey is correct on his info.

I would look into a late season tag. Call Ishawooa outfitters which is also another great outfitter.

Cant beat a late season tag. Plenty of big bulls to pick and choose.

Depends on experience you want and size of bull. If you want to do a DIY hunt and happy with a 320 - lots of units including unit 100, with a near 100% success. If you want 350 or better, need to consider a guide or spend time and have help and be picky about the units.

Personally, I haven't loved my solo hunts. Just not that fun for me. Glad I have done them, but not my favorite. My guided hunts have been a mixed bag, also not my favorite. What was a better memory, a 305 bull my 8 y.o. daughter called in or a 382 guided bull? Both great memories, but If I could redo one, it would be with my daughter. In fact, I would rather help a buddy on a hunt and help him get a bull, then do a guided hunt or a solo hunt.

So I would ask yourself what you want. If the biggest elk is what you are looking for in this hunt - go guided. Best chance hands down. You only have max points once. Once you decide what you want, you will get better guidance. Good luck and have fun!

Depends on experience you want and size of bull. If you want to do a DIY hunt and happy with a 320 - lots of units including unit 100, with a near 100% success. If you want 350 or better, need to consider a guide or spend time and have help and be picky about the units.

Personally, I haven't loved my solo hunts. Just not that fun for me. Glad I have done them, but not my favorite. My guided hunts have been a mixed bag, also not my favorite. What was a better memory, a 305 bull my 8 y.o. daughter called in or a 382 guided bull? Both great memories, but If I could redo one, it would be with my daughter. In fact, I would rather help a buddy on a hunt and help him get a bull, then do a guided hunt or a solo hunt.

So I would ask yourself what you want. If the biggest elk is what you are looking for in this hunt - go guided. Best chance hands down. You only have max points once. Once you decide what you want, you will get better guidance. Good luck and have fun!
That’s a great perspective, I have only been on one guided hunt and it was a lot of fun. That being said I’m a fairly competent hunter and takes away from some of that reward of earning it on your own. I would to end up with a bull in the 350 range. The chance of me spending a significant amount of time scouting is low but I should be able to dedicate some serious time during the season. I would love for my kids to tag along. It they are only 6 and 4. They are Pretty great road hunters but probably couldn’t hunt the way I want to. My dad has a guided hunt lined up in 58 in November that I will be going on so that might give me some perspective. I’ve also considered 100,16 or one of the 30-32 tags. I just don’t want to ***** 16 years worth of points lol.

124 is the best unit in the SW part of the state. Units around Cody typically produce the biggest bulls but presentl challenges with wilderness issues for NR.
58 will have plenty of big bulls but need an outfitter to deal with the private.

124 is the best unit in the SW part of the state. Units around Cody typically produce the biggest bulls but presentl challenges with wilderness issues for NR.
58 will have plenty of big bulls but need an outfitter to deal with the private.
I’ll have to look into 124 a little more.

Put in for area 100 and take your kids, you will have a ton of fun. So what if your bull only scores 300 +or -. I can't believe the emphasis people put on score. Guys will literally lose sleep over 20 inches of hardened bone.

My area 100 bull with my kids. I wouldn't trade that hunt for anything in the world. I have no idea what he scored.

IMG_0231.JPG

Put in for area 100 and take your kids, you will have a ton of fun. So what if your bull only scores 300 +or -. I can't believe the emphasis people put on score. Guys will literally lose sleep over 20 inches of hardened bone.

My area 100 bull with my kids. I wouldn't trade that hunt for anything in the world. I have no idea what he scored.

View attachment 55080
Awesome bull! Thanks for the input, I will definitely consider doing that. Was this from this year?

16 is a great hunt but whether guided or not it's a hunt for 320 to 330 bulls not 350s. Alot kill under that mark and only a couple over that mark.

I've got a buddy with 1 point behind max. Every year he puts in for 124 and every year...rejected. Go hunting when you can
I am one under max also, every year I apply for 100 hoping to get a random tag. In a year or so I will find a compromise unit and go hunt.

Going into next season I will have max points and would like to hear opinions on what units y’all would consider. I could be persuaded to go guided but would love DIY. Definitely looking for that trophy. I would consider myself very experienced having hunted and killed elk for 20 years. Let me know what you would do and why! Thanks
If you just want a fun hunt go 100

?

22 is always on my Radar. It comes and goes a little in total quality but a fun unit to hunt with good potential. 124 had more elk in it this year than I have seen in the last 20 years. Always been elk there but a ton more seemed to be in the area... (I wonder if all the BLM horse gathers in Colorado pushed elk north?)

I would however look at a late migration hunt with an outfitter. Just something about late season snow, horses, getting up each morning and seeing all new herds each day, etc.

The late season hunts around Cody can be hard. Some impossible without a guide, but produce exceptional bulls. If you are prepared to be cold and be patient you can very likely go home with a 360 or better. I live in Cody and have seen first hand many incredible bulls taken on the late hunts around here. You could not go wrong with 7D's, or Shoshone lodge outfitters. I know most of the guides for both. If you go unguided the only real option is to to hunt 54 in November, but I would still hire Josh because it takes tracked machines usually to get to where you need to be. Message me if you have any questions about this area.

FB_IMG_1634426795504.jpg

The late season hunts around Cody can be hard. Some impossible without a guide, but produce exceptional bulls. If you are prepared to be cold and be patient you can very likely go home with a 360 or better. I live in Cody and have seen first hand many incredible bulls taken on the late hunts around here. You could not go wrong with 7D's, or Shoshone lodge outfitters. I know most of the guides for both. If you go unguided the only real option is to to hunt 54 in November, but I would still hire Josh because it takes tracked machines usually to get to where you need to be. Message me if you have any questions abo
That’s an awesome bull, which unit did that come out of? My dad has a guided hunt this November with 7D in unit 58. We’re hoping it’s worth it lol.

Late November in 58 is as good as it gets for big bulls. You used to be able to access the hoodoo but you need a guide now. I believe Meade is the only one guiding there

That’s an awesome bull, which unit did that come out of? My dad has a guided hunt this November with 7D in unit 58. We’re hoping it’s worth it lol.
It's worth it in every way. Around Cody guys love elk hunting. Most times they are happier than the hunter to score on big bulls. My friends 54. Many bigger bulls around than that one.

Even at Max points 124 is a tough draw

Great thread, I'm sitting on max points as well. Dont think I'm cashing in during 22 but strongly thinking about 23. Keep the ideas coming boys.

Of course the best elk unit in the state only took less than <8 points but you have too many points for that one

Great thread! Also, sitting at max points. I would love to book a late 58 hunt, but might be out of my price range for an enlisted man. Like the idea of no Grizz and wolves (100-124). I do have access to horses and mules for 54. So many choices :) Need to lock this down for Jan draw date

The late season hunts around Cody can be hard. Some impossible without a guide, but produce exceptional bulls. If you are prepared to be cold and be patient you can very likely go home with a 360 or better. I live in Cody and have seen first hand many incredible bulls taken on the late hunts around here. You could not go wrong with 7D's, or Shoshone lodge outfitters. I know most of the guides for both. If you go unguided the only real option is to to hunt 54 in November, but I would still hire Josh because it takes tracked machines usually to get to where you need to be. Message me if you have any questions about this area.

View attachment 55437
Congrats on a great bull!

Nice bulls guys! I have hunted 62 twice and it was great. I have sent several guys to my spot and all that reported back were very happy. No need for an outfitter. There are griz but never hear of a problem, and I ran directly into a sow with cubs bowhunting.

I too had max points in Wyoming for the 2020 season and drew out in unit 30. I chose unit 30 due to proximity to the unit. I drew in the regular draw. Unit 30 was a great experience. I saw no bulls over 340 inches and hunted both the archery and rifle hunts. Every day hunting I was into bulls and the bulls were really vocal beginning Sept 10th on into the rifle hunt. Very few hunters and lots of elk in large herds that are visible. Easy access in the unit as well. I ended up with a approximate
20201001_084121_HDR.jpg
280 inch bull (About average) and could have waited and hunted longer for a larger one but I had my son with me so why not have the experience with him? Especially since he can pack heavy weight ;)

I will never be able to draw unit 30 again and it was a great experience.

Well figured I better follow up in this thread. We got back from a great hunt up in 58 with the 7D guys. They are super great guys, and we definitely felt like they were fully invested in our success. Due to the warm weather and lack of snow there were not nearly the number of bulls around as normal. Meade actually told us on the phone on our drive up that it had been pretty rough hunting.

We fortunately made it up in time for an evening hunt. I think our guide my dad and myself were all expecting to mostly do some glassing and see what was around for a morning hunt the next day. Our guide had us positioned in a spot to look over some country where the bulls were bedded in some thick timber and come out right at dark to feed. We saw one decent 6x7 that needs another year or two around 4:00pm, a couple smaller bulls around 4:45 and as it got darker we got restless and started to get packed up. A guide further up the hill radioed down that some bulls were at the bottom of the canyon so we decided we needed ti take a better look. We moved down the canyon and got in position at about 330yds. It was getting dark and the bulls were staring up at us. I knew the big one was super wide and had great royals but couldn’t see much else. He finally turned and we saw the back end and that sealed the deal for my dad. One great shot and 15 years worth of points ended in a short 3 hour evening hunt! My dad is thrilled to say the least. We stuck around the next day and glassed up some elk for another hunter. We ended up finding a nice bull that they killed the following morning that was a little bigger than my dads. Overall we had a great time and considering conditions were pretty rough we still saw some great bulls. I can only imagine what to at place looks like with a foot of snow!!

I’m still undecided what to do with my points but I’m strongly considering a repeat hunt for myself. Any input is always appreciated. Thanks for reading!

1DA99281-B9AF-4607-9532-BE40AB7751CE.jpeg

1D1031B1-2F81-4217-8691-1794B22216FF.jpeg

6DE20813-F5F6-44F2-86EA-FD863B81BEC5.jpeg

Well figured I better follow up in this thread. We got back from a great hunt up in 58 with the 7D guys. They are super great guys, and we definitely felt like they were fully invested in our success. Due to the warm weather and lack of snow there were not nearly the number of bulls around as normal. Meade actually told us on the phone on our drive up that it had been pretty rough hunting.

We fortunately made it up in time for an evening hunt. I think our guide my dad and myself were all expecting to mostly do some glassing and see what was around for a morning hunt the next day. Our guide had us positioned in a spot to look over some country where the bulls were bedded in some thick timber and come out right at dark to feed. We saw one decent 6x7 that needs another year or two around 4:00pm, a couple smaller bulls around 4:45 and as it got darker we got restless and started to get packed up. A guide further up the hill radioed down that some bulls were at the bottom of the canyon so we decided we needed ti take a better look. We moved down the canyon and got in position at about 330yds. It was getting dark and the bulls were staring up at us. I knew the big one was super wide and had great royals but couldn’t see much else. He finally turned and we saw the back end and that sealed the deal for my dad. One great shot and 15 years worth of points ended in a short 3 hour evening hunt! My dad is thrilled to say the least. We stuck around the next day and glassed up some elk for another hunter. We ended up finding a nice bull that they killed the following morning that was a little bigger than my dads. Overall we had a great time and considering conditions were pretty rough we still saw some great bulls. I can only imagine what to at place looks like with a foot of snow!!

I’m still undecided what to do with my points but I’m strongly considering a repeat hunt for myself. Any input is always appreciated. Thanks for reading!

View attachment 60123

View attachment 60124

View attachment 60125
Thanks for circling around and letting us know how your hunt turned out.
Way too many times on here guys get on and ask for help but never come back and report on their hunt one way or the other..

Great bull for you Dad way to go congrats

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom