Max Wy antelope points

buckshot

Me and the wife have max Antelope points. Pretty certain we can draw any unit.

Suggestions?

I know 60 is popular how about 124? Others?

Thanks
Buckshot

Max points I’d pick one and go, look at the proposed regs, check last years draw odds find a few that interest you then pick one and go enjoy the hunt.

Wyo antelope numbers are the lowest I've seen in Wyo for a long, long time in response to drought, winterkill, disease, predators, etc. In fact, it's possible to drive for miles and miles in certain regions in Wyo without hardly seeing an antelope. These same regions had literally hundreds of antelope a few years ago.

Obviously this changes from 1 area to the next. You can get a small idea of what's going on in localized areas by comparing this year's tag quotas to previous years. Many units across Wyo dropped both buck and doe tag numbers in 2021....and have cut them even more in 2022. Not a very good sign!

It's often good to have inside information from those that spend time scouting units, are familiar with what exactly produces whopper antelope bucks, and are aware of winter conditions/drought, fawn recruitment, etc. Believe me, this can dramatically change from 1 year to the next. Just because a unit has super tough draw odds doesn't necessarily mean it will produce many (if any) B&C bucks in any particular year.

If B&C score doesn't matter to you there's a lot of great units with low tag numbers and lots of public land that would be exciting to hunt any year you can. If you are keen on harvesting B&C bucks I would be leery on when and where you apply!

I think there currently 414 NR sports persons going into the 2022 draw with max points for pronghorn, including me. I’ve been applying for unit 60 every year and I would not necessarily expect to draw this year either although the odds have been getting much better after 16 years.

Is 61 still good? Hunted it awhile ago and was happy with what I saw. It was max points back then and I assume it still is.

You can throw a dart at WY it will not really matter for B&C size- as long as the unit is 80 percent or greater percent public land so you can roam around without Onx stuck in your face. Yes in general the red desert areas have great quality and space to roam which makes them popular, also think about 57/58/67/92. Also depends on if your camping out or doing a hotel/motel. Some of the best areas are hour, hour and half or more from any place to stay. 58 population is down I believe but there are some great bucks in there.

Thanks for the responses! Yes it looks like 60 is going to 100 tags. not sure populations have increased that much? I messed up asking about 124 I meant 114?

Thanks Buckshot

92 use to be a top unit. I pulled a tag with max points a few years ago. Haven’t been to the unit since, but I saw a pile of dandy’s. B&C bucks are possible if you are patient. I’d dump max points on it again if I could

Go to unit 60 with the wife. Stay in a nice hotel in rock springs so you can huck them deep every night.

Be safe out there. Wear a rubber.

92 use to be a top unit. I pulled a tag with max points a few years ago. Haven’t been to the unit since, but I saw a pile of dandy’s. B&C bucks are possible if you are patient. I’d dump max points on it again if I could

Any reason you selected 92 over some of the other zones around there? I've been tossing around 61/57/58 quite a bit but seems like 92 comes up now and again in conversations. Not sure how it compares to the others. Wife is drawing (hopefully) somewhere this year with one less than max

Any reason you selected 92 over some of the other zones around there? I've been tossing around 61/57/58 quite a bit but seems like 92 comes up now and again in conversations. Not sure how it compares to the others. Wife is drawing (hopefully) somewhere this year with one less than max
I’ve hunted 92 and a few other surrounding areas. Seems like 92 just has a better quality of goats. Not sure what the difference is that makes it that way. There’s pronghorn everywhere and there’s a pile of them. It sure makes it nice to have so many options to choose from. 92 is my vote if I had the points.

92 is a participation trophy area
I'll take participation trophies like this one any day. My best 92 buck. Sorry, only pic I got on me at the moment.
prong.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom