McCall Elk

desperatehills

Very Active Member
We are headed to McCall on the 20th for my first Idaho elk hunt. We have a area to hunt so I am not looking for where. Just curious about some of the logistics of the hunt. Can anyone recommend a meat cutter if we are successful? We will be hunting north of McCall. We will have a base camp but will backpack out for 2-3 days at a time if needed. I understand it is some steep country and a guy can wear himself out getting to the elk each day. Hoping for no snow. I know the weather here can vary greatly. How about wolves? Should we expect to hear or see any?

I have not hunted Idaho since 2008 when I drew a moose tag. I know I should get a copy of the regulations and study them. I will try and do that before I leave. Would you buy a deer tag? Is this area currently open for archery deer? Whitetails or mule deer? Is my A tag good for anything after my 10 days of archery hunting? Is it good for a later rifle or muzzleloader season?

I know these are all questions that should have been figured out months ago. Truth is my good friend and hunting partner has planned this hunt through one of his work associates. I am sure we are going to have a great hunt even if we are unsuccessful. Just looking for any insights that may help us out in the long run. Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-18 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p]Archery deer is open in all of the McCall zone units during the same dates as archery elk.

McCall ?A? tags also include a spike only rifle season from Oct 5-14 and a short range weapons cow hunt in 23&24 from Nov 10-30

Thanks, might be worth coming back for the cow season. I have a applegate muzzle loader tag here in oregon so the smokepole will already be warmed up

>Zims hot springs to help with
>your aching muscles if you
>not far from new meadows
> ;)
>Travis

That's some good info right there, I'll look for them

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom