MDM buckwacka mag.

D

dneils

Do any of you have any info on this muzz load.
Im still looking for one for me and my daughter.
I saw this muzz in cabelas and was wondering if
any one knew anything about it.

Its narrowed down to eather a omega or a t/c oncore.

I would suggest waiting another couple months... if possible. Both CVA and Winchester are coming out with new Omega/Encore clones. Both have receive real high marks in both their prototype and range tests.
On other boards, their have been a few quality control problems with the Omega. Recently, a few bent barrels, heavy or broken triggers, QLA design problems with conical loads and many returning their 1-20 twist barrels for 1-28 twists due to poor accuracy.

Honey!.. I swear I got that stainless rifle free from an elderly widow at work that recently lost her husband.. I would never lie to you babycakes!

thanks trip7 , Question I have allwas been told that a tighter twist is more accuret , I'm no gun expert just wondering witch one would be better . thanks again , I need to get one bought here pretty quick huntin seasons only 6 mons away haha ,need all the practice I can get to.

re: dniels

If you can afford the Encore ($100+), I recommend that one! You can add more barrels to it -- sighting-in is easier & the walnut version is supposedly great for balance, looks and built to be a better recoil/shock reducer. The 45 caliber is no longer a 1-20 version -- recently switched to a 1-28 to increase accuracy with several different projectiles.

Honey!.. I swear I got that stainless rifle free from an elderly widow at work that recently lost her husband.. I would never lie to you babycakes!

777 I'm just full of questions , I looked on cabelas and you can
buy everything but the trigger mec. can you buy this piece over the internet or do you have to go through a local gun dealer.
dont mind my spelling , I finaly figured out how to spell "encore"

Go to gunsamerica.com , and click on Thompson Center muzzleloaders , theres a few on there . If you do buy , they will send it from an licensed gun dealer to another licensed dealer for a fee , but because it can be put together as a firearm as well , they can't send it diectly to a household ....Hope this helps ...NMhuntnutt

Thats what I thought , thanks nm.h.n. I will check with some gun
dealers here in vegas .

Triple7>> The only standard production Omega ever made in a 1 in 20 twist (unless) is in .45 cal. T/C also makes a black diamond model in .45 with a 1 in 20 twist. The fast twist is designed to stabilize very lightweight sabboted bullets. They can be finicky when working up a load.

All the .50 cals are in 1 in 28 inch twist. I've never read of anything other than the factory trigger being set too heavy for some peoples liking.

TC will set a trigger to your specification on the Omega if you send it in to the shop for free. They also will replace any barrel if found to be defective for free as well.

All I've read is people getting great groups and being really happy with their Omegas. Of course, there's always going to be some novice shooter that thinks they should get a tight group if they stuff 3 pellets and any old projectile down the barrel--that's just not the case with every muzzleloader I've owned and shot.

Agreed. The Encore is a better rifle but is more expensive too.

wmidbrook

Apparently, all T/C 45s with the break-open systems are now 1-28s... as of around the first of this year. I think I found that posted on CVA.com about one week ago. It may be awhile b/4 you & I can actually witness it engraved on a BP barrel because T/C produces so few every day.

As for the "other issues" with these rifles, they are isolated incidents being reported on any one of six black powder forums I peek at every day of the week. It would take me a complete day to back-track/search such posts for these issues... I haven't the time to do it... Sorry! It's still quite possible that I will be dressed in an Omega or Encore yet this year... depends on how the new break-open action from CVA (Optima) and Winchester (Apex) appeal to me. All I heard is the Apex will have a 30" fluted barrel and the Optima will be an Encore clone.

Hi TripleSe7en...thought I recognized your handle from huntamerica.com. I'm sure some folks have had their fair share of issues with Omegas.

It might be a real shame that T/C is getting rid of a 1 in 20 twist. The only thing their techies @ customer service know is to sell the ultra lightweight sabotted bullets that weigh between 150 & 180 grains. I never got a heavier sabotted bullet to group decent with anything over 100 grains of powder in the .45 1 in 20 twist that I owned.

Lots of people don't try the heavy conicals in a .45 cal which works great in a 1 in 20 twist. Something like 70-90 grains of BP or Pyrodex can make for a heck of an accurate load using the long, heavy 400+ grain conicals. Plus the killing power at longer distance is tremendous compared to a puny 150 gr. - 190 gr. sabotted bullet.

What they don't tell ya, is that the 1 in 20 twist is awesome with heavy conicals. It's what the long distance (1000 yard) Creedmore shooters used around 1860 in the Whitworth rifle.

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/firearms/whitworth.htm

On a different note, Anyone ever try out a Winchester Muzzleloader? I'm wondering how they shoot. www.midwayusa.com had a great deal on the X-150 when it first came out but I haven't really heard how well they're made or shoot.

Hey guys take it easy I dident mean to start a fight , It sounds
like you guys are both very knowledgable , I really appriciate
everything you guys are talking about im sure its going to help
me with my buying decision.

thanks 777 & wmidbrook

wmidbrook

I did buy the X-150... then turned it around and sold it one week after I received it for a $20 profit... still new in the box one week later.

It was not "profit" which made up my mind to sell it... it was the announcement that both CVA & Winchester were coming out with Omega and/or Encore clones. The gun techs on the discussion forum over at cva.com sang high praises for the X-150 in both quality and accuracy. Even Precision bullets (prbullet.com) talk-up the X-150. They have them at tjgeneralstore.com for $249... may be the best buy out there right now for a 26" bolt action.

I can always re-purchase another one later this spring if I don't like the 1)Apex 2)Optima or the other soon-to-arrive Knight Wolverine 209 with a 26" barrel. I'm going to look at all the new ones... even the new Traditions Evolution Premier Bolt 26"... and any others that arrive before I buy around June 1st.

If all else fails in "fit - finish - looks" , I'll buy the T/C Encore 45 but not the Omega. My very cheap ($99) emergency Traditions Tracker 209 22" barrel out-grouped my buddy's Omega during hunting season (up to 125 yards). Once I witnessed that -- it will always stick in my head -- so I ruled-out the Omega.
---------------------------------------------

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-03 AT 02:33PM (MST)[p]No problem dneils. ...not fighting here, might have a strong opinion or two though :)

T7, that doesn't suprise me too much. I saw a traditions that loved the heck out of Barnes sabbotted rounds with a few of p-dex pellets. It was a $100 good shooter.

BP rifles are tough to compare. If someone seriously were to test which shoots better on the whole compared to another, they'd have to devise some benchmarking standard. In other words, they'd have to take a handful projectiles and use a few different powder types and then run each rifle through the same battery of tests to see what the results were. That's expensive and time-consuming.

The other stuff like look, feel & fit is pretty subjective. Ease of cleaning etc. might matter a whole lot more to one person than the other. Some people can't shoot with a comb on a stock, while some can't shoot without one. etc...It's all about having fun and finding something shoots well enough to suite your purpose.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom