Me and My Boys 2022 Hunts Part 1

SoloHNTR

Waiting for draw results seemed like the perfect time to post my hunts from last year.

My 12 Year Old:
My 12 year old who had already shot a really nice bull and two nice bucks his first 2 years decided he was good enough for archery and said it's archery or nothing:ROFLMAO:.

He worked hard all summer to get his draw weight past the state minimum. but with that still being a very light set up, we capped his distance to 30 yards and decided deer or a really small cow elk is all he could shoot. With those restraints I wasn't super hopeful more hoping for a great experience and one solid chance.

Packing in
1.JPG

2.JPG

1st Archery stalk of his life! (two bedded bucks)

Finally found a bucks bedded in a stalkable spot
3 (2).JPG

4.55.JPG

Snuck into 20 yards with the bucks still bedded
5.JPG

one of the bucks stepped out perfect. Stopped broadside and even though at home he was lights out at 20. Archery in the filed is a different game and he found that out. Shot 1 inch below the chest. Perfect left to right just rushed the shot.
6.JPG

2nd Stalk (herd of 50 elk)

Got to 100 and planned to wait it out and let them make a mistake. I thought we had waited long enough for the thermals to strengthen. We were 20 minutes to early and the wind switched for just a second and they were gone.
7.JPG

3rd Stalk (Cow Elk) Heart Breaker

This one was a heart breaker. We had a nice bull raking and bugling. we snuck into the heard and waited watching the bull at 60 yards waiting for one of his cows to move through our shooting lane. Finally one did. cooper had plenty of time to set up and wait. He took his time and felt so good. I stopped the cow at 20 yards perfect broadside. He let the arrow fly. we heard the hit and I swear I saw blood immediately and the cow ran off the hill out of site. We were pumped jumping hugging and replaying the story.

pic recreated after the shot when we were on cloud nine
8.JPG

We gave it a good amount of time and then went down to start tracking. As I walked up to where the cow had been standing there was his arrows sideways on the ground with no blood.

The arrow had hit a tiny limb, turned sideways and smacked the elk. His fletches are red so when the arrow was sideways that must have been the red I thought was blood.

Those are for real tears in his eyes
10.JPG

Last Day 2 more stalks

On the last day we had two more stalks. Both were busts. got to 40 on a cow elk (to far for his set up and 20 on another buck but got winded before the shot).

He came home with nothing. But I was so proud of him. Never in a million years would I have though he would get 5 stalks, loose two arrows both at 20 years and have a seriously legitimate shot at tagging out.

He has a new appreciation for hunting and archery and has been practicing all year for the next opportunity. I Can't wait.

Last edited:
Man reading this has me pumped for my 11 year old he is almost at legal weight and I too cut him off at 30 yards.

Great post, thanks for sharing! As a father of two boys this one really hit home. Best of luck to you all this year!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom