Meat, cape, horn transport

kimbersig

Hey guys. Me and a buddy are headed to kodiak in sept. What do yall recommend for getting all that stuff back to the lower 48? Baggage fees add up quick! Is it better to buy a big ice chest up there and pay the oversized fees or just stick to the fish boxes? Any experiences/recommendations would be appreciated!

I hunted caribou several years ago and I bought plastic totes. I put the meat and cape in it, taped it up, and had the airline mark it as frozen. I paid extra for that of course.

This January I hunted Coues deer in Mexico. We took a couple ice chests as part of our checked bags. So on our way home we had meat, horns, capes in our ice chests.

I'd call the airline you're using. All airlines are different as to the baggage you can check and the costs for each additional checked bag. They could give you some additional information I'm sure.

www.SkullHanger.com

when we go, we put meat in fish boxes and freeze them before flying home, it goes as extra baggage on Alaska air. as for moose racks we split the racks and make our own cardboard boxes so they are as small as possible. It really isn't that expensive. can also pack items in around the antlers when shipping them to save space coming back. we ship out that box via Alaska air cargo the day before we fly out. that way when we land, we drive over to the cargo division pick up our antlers/gear and head home.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

i did the same as Mntman, except the horns I left intact because all 3 were book animals. it was pricey to get them and all the meat home but it was expected when you ship a moose and 2 caribou

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Heard on the News today due to some lion getting killed in Africa. Some of the airlines no longer transport trophy game animals. Who would of thunk. I am looking at the same only for fish. I need to check in to cargo freight.
Rutnbuck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom