Medium weight hiker?

peez3006

I'm looking for a new medium weight hiker. I've currently been using the Vasque Wasatch. I was pretty happy with them, but after a little over a year both soles are splitting across the balls of the feet, where they flex. I'm looking for something close to three pounds, gore-tex lined, decent ankle support, durable, and under $200. There are so many choices.
I'm using Lowa Tibets for the nasty stuff, but find myself using my hikers more often. What's working for you guys?

Thanks!

Don P.

Take a look at a Scarpa or a Kayland if your feet are not real wide. I've had real good luck with the Scarpa Mustang GTX, great support and lightweight - good early season boot.

Or if you want one that is maybe a little stiffer sole but great support and can be found for well under $200 the Kayland Vertigo High boot with eVent is great. But these are both for more narrow feet which I have and are sometimes harder to find. Both these boots can take a lot of abuse.

I really like the cabelas full draw. they have scent killer in them, are waterproff and are very light. You can get them insulated on not. They are my go to boot from AZ to CO. Only cost about $100. I go the outfitter series for the nasty stuff. Happy hunting
-Sig

If you like the tibets, you may want to look at the lowa rangers. Personally I use the tibets for everything as I like the support, but the rangers have recieved many good reviews.

I was looking at the Scarpas, but I was afraid of the width. My feet are a little on the wide side. I wear a "D" width boot, though. Once I bought a "EE" boot and regretted it. Never could get it tightened up good.
The Rangers look like a great boot, but they're not that much lighter than the Tibets. Alot of the hikers aren't that much lighter than the Tibets. Maybe I'm just looking for a light hiker. I'm not sure.
Anyone have any experience with any of these boots?

Danner Talus
Danner Combat Hiker (sizing?)
Meindl Perfekt Light Hiker
Meindl Teton II Hiker
Lowa Renegade (enough ankle support?)
Asolo Fugitive

Thanks!

Don P

I have the Talus and the Combat Hikers. I like both and would recomend them, but between the two the Combat hikers are more narrow fit. They did not leak, easy break in, comftorble with no blisters. Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-10 AT 09:01AM (MST)[p]If what you done to your last pair of hikers in that time frame is any indication of how hard you'll be on this new pair....i'd stay away from the Danner Talus. I had a pair 2 years back and took good care of them with proper maintenance but they just did not hold up considering the price! However they were comfy and light....just not durable enough for me.

My go to boot has been the Cabela's all-leather mountain hikers. I too have wide feet(10.5 EE)and these boots have little to no break in time. The soles are stiff enough to be tough but no so much as to make them uncomfortable. I also like the fact they have a minimal amount of seams to fall apart at.

Hey Don!

I used the Danner Talus GTX from 2006 through 2009. They finally blew apart on a wilderness elk hunt in late September. I liked them fine. I too have a narrow foot, I wear a 13D. I just got a pair of Kayland Zephyr's and had a custom foot bed made.... I love these boots. Great early season boot.

Marc

Hi Marc.
I'm still seaching for the right shoe. I'm probably asking for too much, out of a light shoe. I use my hikers in areas where I should be using my Lowa Tibets.
Just for fun, I weighed my boots the other day. My Lowas weighed 4lbs. 8ozs. My Vasque Wasatch hikers weighed 4lbs. 0oz. That was suprising to me. My hikers were heavier than I thought.
I'm going to keep looking around. I'm hoping to bow hunt Nevada this year. I'll find something light and give it a whirl.

Don P

DonP,

Take a look at my "Keepers" post in the Feet catagory. Maybe that will help you narrow it down. I also have a spreadsheet of most of the popular boots attached to the "Recommended Footwear" post.

Also, REI publishes a list of the boots they carry with specs.

Sounds like you have to refine your search a little before you zero in on something.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I pulled the trigger on some boots finally. I bought a pair of Lowa Renegades. I have only worn them on one small hike, but my initial impression is good. Very lightweight 2 lbs. 15 oz. (size 11), decent ankle support, good traction, and very comfortable. The sole is on the soft side. I couldn't feel the rocks, but it had alot of flex. I think it will be a great boot as long as the pack weight isn't too much. I'll give them a review after I put them through the paces.

Don P.

I think as long as your expectations are realistic and that boot is used for the correct applications you will be just fine and very happy. If you ask too much of it you will be disappointed.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I looked hard at the Lowa Renegades, but I just picked up a pair of Asolo fsn 95 from Sierra Trading Post for $90 plus shipping to be my medium weight hikers. I looked at the reviews hardcore gave and decided since they were one of his favorites I would give them a try...

If I did a good job on the reviews then it came through clearly that the Asolo FSN95 is a little heavier and stouter boot than the Lowa Renegade.

I love mine, I hope they work out for you. Buying on-line can be something of a crapshoot regarding size. Good luck.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Thanks for the gear reviews, yes I read that and it weighed into my decision. I am usually pretty safe getting a 11.5 for almost all boots, if not I send them back for an exchange. For lighter shoes, I prefer a low top shoe like a vasque mantra. I bought a pair of kenetrek mtn extreme to replace my old danners for my heavy hiker/hunting boots and needed a better midweight. My pair of vasque sundowners or whatever they are called just didn't seem to be fitting me right and my Montrail torres are getting pretty worn...

If the Asolos don't work think about the Hanwag Cheyennes. A lot like the FSN 95s but a little closer to the Lowa Ranger and Hanwag Mountain Lite which are both outstanding boots.

Let us know.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom