Mentor Program

OpeningDay

I have a question regarding the mentor program. I know i could research it, but its easier to leave it to you "pro's". haha.

Do you have to designate the shooter before the hunt ?

The reason I ask is because I witnessed a Mentor tag where there were 2 shooters. Young kids, but 2 of them toting a rifle after a single buck. This was on a LE Unit as well. My gut tells me they were completely illegal, but you tell me. I even got to witness the ol, 1..2..3 shoot on a buck. Both shot, both missed. Ultimately, there was 1 tag and only 1 buck was going to hit the dirt, but.........

IMO Youth have lots of other opportunities for tags, mentor just adds to point creep. I don't think 3 kids can shoot at the same time.

The mentoring program allows up to 4 kids to be mentored by an adult mentor. But only one kid at a time can be mentored in the field. What you saw happen was illegal. Probably just deerkiller.

I figured what I saw was illegal. I knew they would be in for it if a game warden showed up. However, the smile on those girl's faces as Grandpa stood in there trying his best to help them was enough for me to turn a blind eye. I did however inform Grandpa that he might want to check the regs. He at least now had the info and what he did from there was on him. You can tell me how I should have called in if you like, but the scene of Grandpa and those little girls was enough for me to leave with no guilty conscience.

IMO Youth have lots of other opportunities for tags, mentor just adds to point creep. I don't think 3 kids can shoot at the same time.
Im confused. Does this add to point creep because people that cant hunt themselves are still putting in for tags ?

I have 5 kids, triplet boys. When I go into a division office I have all my kids put on the mentor tag. I usually don't take all my kids at once but switch them out every couple of days. It is legal to have multiple kids if they are all on the mentor tag. You just can't have them all shooting together. Rock, paper, scissors or one is up to bat in the morning and the other second half of the day.

This is one of those situations that I could really care less if there were two kids shooting. As long as Gramps was right there what was the harm.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom