Mentor Tag: Late Nebo or Late Manti?

thehighdesert

Got enough resident elk points to draw either late season nebo or manti and will mentor tag to my 14 year old. We have stomped around on both units and have seen good bulls on both. The late hunt takes place from nov 12-20th when we are usually down south somewhere filming muleys so I'm asking for some help from you guys that spend time on either unit during those dates each year. I know the nebo is not as "friendly" a unit as far as terrain goes and the manti unit holds more numbers of elk. But...what unit would provide a better opportunity at a 320 type bull in your opinion?? Or if you were taking a 14 yr old "experienced mountain goat" what unit would you hunt?

Either one would be good. I would go with the one you know best. A 320 bull is very attainable on either unit. Nebo, as you probably know is whole lot steeper overall. Getting an elk out of some of the areas on the unit without horses and help can be a tough go. Seems like you and your son would be up to the task though.

Thanks for your advice!! We have horses and spotters at the ready. Thought about waiting a few more years hoping to draw a little better unit but my wife and I both have points for some good tags and will mentor them to my 14 yr old so we got to start hunting and get tags drawn before he is 18 and no longer eligible for mentor program.

I think as far as 320 bulls, there's more of them on the manti. The nebo is rough. Elk are in some pretty out of the way areas by the late hunts and access is harder to get on the nebo than the manti. If you aren't familiar with the nebo and where the Bulls like to be when the snow flies, it would be a no brainer to pick the manti. More elk. Better quality elk. More access. Easier terrain and more tags given out.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom