Mexico Mule Deer and Coues

P

packerhorse

Hi Guys need some information on a outfitter named Carlos Hermosillo and his operation calledBig Game Outfitters. A buddy of mine and I are thinking of planning a hunt with him and need some imput on your thoughts of his hunt that he offers.
Thanks Packer

Always good advise, but that can be interpreted in many ways. Is theoutfit a total bust with no animals or is it ok?

I have never hunted with his outfit...and I never will. I am not aware of another outfitter that has a longer list of past clients that will "never hunt with him again".

....of course he's been doing sonoran hunts longer than anyone else too.....even before it was cool...

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-09 AT 10:09AM (MST)[p]I hunted with him 4 years ago and would not go back. He is a nice guy and a good salesman but when I went there were around 20 guys in his various areas that hunted the same 5 1/2 day period and flew in and out of Hermosillo at the same time and I dont know if anyone was happy with their hunt. Actually there was one guy who was happy, he had hunted there 7 years in a row and only killed one buck but killed two nice bucks on the hunt. Mexico can be tough hunting and I understand that but the main issues I had were these: My partner and myself both upgraded to what was supposed to be a new and better area that had not been hunted yet that year however we saw tire tracks in the sand in the exact patterns that we were driving that looked like it had been heavily hunted the week before. We were both in the same vehicle in a high rack most of the hunt even though it was one on one hunting due to lack of vehicles. Our guides worked hard and we really liked them however they had no binos and loved to pound the trails on the high rack. We could not communicate with our guides when out hunting as they could speak no english and our spanish was poor. Since they had no binos and we had a hard time communicating with them it was hard to get them to go to higher hills that we could glass from. It was supposed to be just us on this "new" ranch however another client was there hunting with us. I am an easygoing guy so I just hunted hard didn't complain and gave it a chance however I am the type of guy who doesnt mess around, if I feel like I was deceived at all I'm done with that person. We were offered discount rate hunts the following year where if we dont kill we dont pay and I was not interested. However, I did really enjoy the people, the culture, the authentic food, and the hunting was pretty good for us as compared to other guys who hunted other areas. I saw around 30 bucks for the 5 1/2 days which was a lot better than the poor guys I talked to who hunted the whole hunt and saw 5 deer with one buck or no bucks the whole week. But we did a lot of pointing and prodding to get our guides to take us to areas we felt would give us a chance to spot some deer. Just wanted to give an honest assessment of what to expect. In general most guys in Mexico are not going to get lucky but I felt we were misled in some ways. When I go back to Mexico I will make sure to go with an outfit that has guides that can speak English or pay a trespass fee to hunt myself after they show you the area.
Hope that helps

LOL....every ranch in sonora wasn't hunted the last 3 years...lmmfao

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Do your homework and ask alot of questions. Its easy to get screwed down there, but there are good outfitters that kill some good deer. Good Luck. The rut seemed slow this year but the javelina rut sure as hell kicked in strong late in the season.
4994630854f40760.jpg

I hunted mule deer with him 10 years ago and it was terrible. My comment isn't based on just one factor related to the hunt - it is based on 'everything' to do with the hunt.
Four US strangers were brought together by Carlos Hermosillo, and we each shared the same atrocious experiences.
Absolutely nothing he promised came true. From the poor camp, to the cook (a 19 yr. old with filthy hands); to the guides (good men, however without a clue about hunting) to over-hunted ranches (four experienced hunters x five days hunting = one deer sighted); to one vehicle for four hunters (some of us got picked up after 8pm each day) etc., etc., it was all terrible.
My understanding is that our experience was not the exception, it was typical.
I read here that at least one hunter had a good experience with Hermosillo, and I am happy for that hunter.
However, I continued going back to Sonora to hunt for a decade more (certainly not with Hermosillo). During that time I had ample opportunity to learn the ropes there - meeting people, learning the ranches, etc. Good outfitters (Mexican & US) can be found in Sonora. However, you have to be careful.
And regardless of the man here in MM who had a good experience with Carlos Hermosillo, I wouldn't consider hunting with him ever again, and would never recommend him.

As fun as Mex is you can see after reading these truthfull posts why I said be very careful of Carlos! He is a smooth talker.

Even in the event that you have a great hunt, hunting in Mexico usually makes you feel like the bottom Javalina in the upper post. Take it or leave it.

"I'll keep my Freedom, I'll keep my Money, I'll keep my guns! You keep the change.
---------------------------------------
"I needed a cheesy signature saying like everyone else"

There were three of us, that paid 5,000 ea 6 yrs ago. We seen one buck. As stated above, the guides do not speak english, I could under stand them, good guys, not good deer guides. This would be a very long story, if i told you everything we did, things you don't do when you are in Mexico, I am talking about during the hunt. Let me say one thing, we asked him to buy two bottles of Tequial, handed him a 100.00 bill got back two dollars. No problem he said I just run down to the store, I get them for you. If you don't belong to the Hunti fool, join & get advice.

He doesn't run hunts in MX anymore, at least he didn't last year. I tried, he told me it was getting harder and harder to find honest landowners down there so he elected to bail.

I have hunted with Wade Lemon in MX for Coues the past 3 seasons, including last month. We have averaged over 112" on Coues every year. Wade did not run Mule Deer hunts this year but hopefully that will change for next year. You would be very had pressed to find a better Coues hut anywhere in MX. The quality of bucks is amazing, good food, english speaking guides, etc.

Yeah we didnt hunt muleys down their this year but he found a new ranch to hunt muleys and coues in 2010 2 years ago we killed the #3 in the world coues down there going 138 so next year should be good!

My old man hunted Mexico with Carlos a couple times back in the mid to late 90's...I don't remember details of exactly how the hunt went in regards to guides, etc, etc, but he did knock down an awesome muley one year and a solid Coues buck the other.

IMO Mexico mule deer hunting will never recover to where it once was.
Political & cultural problems underscore an irreversible decline. Politically Mexico does not have a division of wildlife resources like the US & Canada does,
their closest equivalent is a couple of private organizations that issue hunting permits. These organizations have negotiable guidelines one of which is they must visit the ranches & do surveys/census in order to issue tags. However the cultural climate of gaffs & kickbacks aka "mordida" often trump these efforts.

Additionally dip$hit Gringos share much of the blame when we continue to shell out 10 grand for a vaseline type hunt, often knowing full well, that better value hunts exist in Canada & the US, but we long for escaping the cold of winter(January hunts) regardless of taking it rectally.
Also the enormous pressure from Gringos for B&C quality numbers have spawned the popularity of high-fenced ranches/hunts.

On a side note, I think reasonable Coues hunts still exist.

Excellent post BFE!
The only part you left out is what an enjoyable hunt it can be in the right situation.....with the people, the culture, the food and the beautiful Sonoran desert it can be a great experience with or without a Grande.....but as you pointed out that can all be had with a quality Coues deer outfitter.

Smoke Pole

Sorry for being so late in getting back, I've been gone for two weeks.
Carlos I believe has a site called Big Game Outfitters hunt Mexico.
I punched in his name in google and it came up.

Doesn't look like we will be using him for anything with all this negative comeback I'm getting. Fellow seemed like a really nice man. Thanks for your message
Packer

Just this last weekend we went to a SCI Chapter meeting and I met a man by the name of Jeremy Toman www.tomanshunting.com a very nice guy that had a list of good referance a arm length to his credit. He has a few ranchs down there he hunts. Have any of you heard anything about him?
Packer

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom