Mexico

Osprey

Making my first hunting trip out of the country and my first trip flying. My question is: How do I pack my ammo? I'm told to bring one hundred rounds. My gun case won't hold that amount. Not sure if I put it in my luggage or ship it in a separate case.

My permits have always said 100 rounds but I've only taken 40 or 60 each time I have gone. I was told that as long as you didn't have more than your permit stated you would be ok. I have put ammo in my gun case and in my luggage. The airlines requires it not be loose so have it in an ammo box. There is no need to ship it separately. If you choose to put it in your luggage, you will have a chance to get it out of your luggage and present it to the federalis for inspection, just make sure you declare it on your forms. Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks guys. I wasn't planning of taking ammo in factory boxes but will now. Is that because it makes it easier to get it through customs?

Yes... it just makes the whole process easier... federalis looked at my hand loads in generic plastic boxes much closer than they ever did with the same hand loads in factory boxes on subsequent trips... another suggestion... when you check in at your airport for departure, tell the employee you have ammo too (the rifle will be obvious) and ask where they prefer you put it for travel. Be prepared for luggage or gun case... I've gotten both answers but I just did what they asked and was never delayed.

All good advise and yes factory box is a good idea. I also brought ammo in a Plano plastic box without any problems.
Mark

Hello Osprey, I am an outfitter in Sonora Mexico. You're allowed to brung up to 100 rounds, you don't need to bring all 100. They need to come in your weapon case and will be checked at Mexcian customs at airport. Its a nice check you don't have to worry about it. I hope you have fun!

www.dericklopezoutfitter.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Mexico Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy Sonoran mule deer and coues deer on over 400,000 acres of private ground.

DIY Coues Deer Hunts

Hunt 20k acre private ranch in Sonora for coues bucks ranging in the 100" class. Email Michael at [email protected].

Sonora Outfitters

We hunt on some of the best ranches in Sonora - known for holding trophy Desert Bighorn Sheep and trophy Mule Deer.

MADD Hunts

DIY coues buck hunts on 30 sq. miles of archery only, private lands. Nice accomodations, along with information and photos.

Back
Top Bottom