MH deer season NW Wyoming

mightyhunter

Very Active Member
Interesting would be the best word to describe my 2018 deer hunting with a general tag in NW Wyoming. The hunt was tough to say the least. I did not fill my tag. This is the first general deer tag I have eaten in Wyoming since 2001.That being said, I am going to be 64 in another month and there is no doubt I am slowing up. My right knee is still injured as a result of last year's sheep hunt. I am trying to heal up without surgery. This may sound like a big excuse, but unfortunately it is my new reality.

I hit my favorite early season haunt on the opener with a new hunting buddy. It is a miserable place to get into and out of. I did not hunt it in 2017, but had taken a nice buck in there in 2016. For the first few hours of the opener, we glassed hard and saw nothing. Around mid-morning we moved to another nearby spot. The wind was not right and we had become a little complacent. We jumped three bucks in an avalanche chute that were totally on alert as a result of the wind. One was a 3x3 and the other a decent 4x4. The other buck was at least a 190+ inch typical. This was the second largest typical I have seen in my lifetime of hunting. He walked away without a shot being fired. I was just not on the edge I needed to be for the harvest.

After this experience, things got worse as the season progressed. I hunted my favorite drainage for the next few weeks. In 2016, I had seen a 30+ typical buck while elk hunting that area. My deer tag was filled and that deer walked. I have taken numerous deer in this drainage from 160 to 185 B&C. During the next 8-10 days I hunted all my favorite spots in that drainage, I saw nothing. Nothing would include a large pack of wolves and one very large male lion.

I hunted some other areas in an attempt to locate some bucks. In one of these areas, I saw a few 1-2 year old bucks and a few does and fawns. I also glassed up some elk and sheep. By this time, my son had showed up to hunt the last few days of October and the first days of November. Our usual spots produced virtually nothing but wolves. On November 30th, I turned my son loose to cover some ground. Around 9:00 AM that morning while walking the trail in with my hunting buddy, I spotted a very nice typical buck just above me on the ridge. He gave us the "Eastman Pose" but quickly disappeared. Again, I was not quick enough on the rifle.

After striking out in my October areas, I moved over to the North Fork of the Shoshone for the first 10 days of November. I saw lots of does, fawns, elk and a few sheep. The highlight was watching a large boar grizzly chasing 8 ewes around in a circle. I did not see a single buck mule deer during this period of time. Last year, in the same spot my hunting buddy and I had taken two average typical bucks in two days. The area I hunt is popular with many outfitters. In many days of hunting, I only heard a couple of shots.

This year reminded me of the difference between a good season and a bad season. Had my buddy and I harvested the two large bucks we saw in October, it may have been the best season ever. I don't have any answers for my brain slips where two good bucks got away. I can say that I saw more wolves than I did mature bucks. I can also say that I was seeing a lot more lion tracks in my spots. The area I hunted in October was the first one to fill it's 2018 wolf quota.

On November 15th, my hunting buddy and I took a long drive into Unit 109 and 106 to see what we could see. This was the last day of the LE season. Deer numbers for that time of the year were way, way down from what I observed. That day, we saw around a dozen muley bucks and at least 4 whitetail bucks. The whitetails were rutting and the mule deer bucks seemed ambivalent at best. The doe numbers were really low. I did see a typical on public that was around 23" inches wide with a crown of 3 points on one back tang. He was on the wander and had no does. That was the only interesting muley buck I observed.

I have some ideas about what is going on with the mule deer in this area. It may be the same problems mule deer are experiencing all over Wyoming. I think most of the problems are not fixable without some drastic changes. I think increasing the wolf quotas, enlarging the season for wolves and allowing wolf trapping would help. I think that allowing hunters to have more than a single lion tag a year would also help. Too many of the lion hunters are high grading and shooting only the biggest toms and letting others walk. Females and young toms can kill and eat a lot of deer.

I predicted years ago that the harvest of mule deer bucks on the North Fork of the Shoshone by outfitters with non resident hunters were depleting the resource. Anyone who would hire an outfitter to hunt the North Fork for a $ 4,500 5 day deer hunt should really think hard before doing so. I saw what few bucks they harvested in 2017 and 2018 and it was not great in quality or quantity. I blame the overharvest of mule deer bucks on the North Fork as the result of the "unintended consequences" of turning most of the local elk areas into LE in recent years. The outfitters lost their revenue stream when the G&F did this. Only a fool would think that the outfitters would quit the business and get out, instead they just upped the price on deer hunts and started hammering that resource.

I am confident that G&F will make some changes to the regs. They implemented a 4 pt minimum on the North and South Fork of the Shoshone in 2018. I could see this on the horizon for the Sunlight/Crandall. They may even eliminate the 105,106 and 109 LE late tag. They may just confine that tag to 109 only.

I had a good time hunting this area in 2018. I was disappointed in my level of success, but I can blame some of that on me. Am I contemplating hunting some other areas in Wyoming for 2019? Yes, I am.

just sayin...mh

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-18 AT 10:12AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the write up. I hunted region F this fall oct 28-nov2nd. I shot a smaller 4x3 but saw more sheep then bucks. A few local guys said they saw quite a few bucks the week prior when a little storm blew through. Interesting to see if the new 4 pt rule helps in a few years. I hiked 37 miles in 5 days too. Probably hiked too much and didn't glass enough. Those mountains can humble you.

Mightyhunter,
Thanks for the update, i have been wondering how you have been doing lately and if you had any success hunting.
Sending you a pm.

Good write up Mightyhunter. I to was in the same areas.
guided a hunter in 109/105/106 and the hunter passed a solid 160 class whitetail. Over the course for the muleys we saw a lot of 2 points and a handful of 140-150 class muleys. I know of a few guys that took some 170-190 class bucks in the area on opening day and they passed some good bucks before they shot those.

For the North Fork as always we saw a ton of does and fawns and we did hammer some big muleys. Maybe our spot is better than yours MH. LOL LOL LOL> just kidding, or its luck. I will say we didn't see one nice buck after another but we did find them putting several miles on the mules.

I have my thoughts to about the mule deer. I find a lot of draws with severe mountain kills along with bighorn sheep. I personally would like to see more mountain lions taken but I know the issue goes beyond that.

nfh,

I think your assessment on the 105,106 109 LE is about the same as mine. Can I assume the guys you are referring to taking some large bucks on the opener refers to the general opener and not the LE opener? I am just wondering.

On the North Fork, you are likely hunting south of the river and I am speaking of the area north of the river. Hunting Fishawk is problematic for a foot soldier unless you like to swim. Until the last couple of days on the South Fork, I heard that the migration was real slow. Most of the outfitter action I observed was hunting north of the North Fork from Newton Creek down to Horse Creek.

I don't want anyone to think I am complaining. Just because I perceive a problem, doesn't mean there is a problem. I can only speak to what I am observing over the course of time.

I don't think the G&F needs to cut any slack to mountain lion populations. Eliminate the quotas and issue multiple tags to any individual who wants to buy one. Provide an incentive to kill more cats. Most of the guys with hounds just like to chase the cats. How about killing more of them. My 15 year old granddaughter in Idaho has 3 Plott Hounds and loves treeing cats. She still has to go to High School or I would get her over here.

just sayin...mh

MH,

You are correct on the 105,106,109 General, that's when the stompers were taken. On the late hunt I wasn't impressed for the muley aspect of it. I was down to have the hunter take that big whitetail but he wanted that big muley that we couldnt make happen.

And once again your right about the North Fork. Im on the south and your on the North side. If a guy knows the migration trails on the south side its a great hunt.

I don't take as you complaining either, I just know if I had that 109 tag I would cried. But since I personally refuse to shoot a mule deer I have no worries to ever have that tag. Im all whitetail

I shot mine south side of north fork. I will hunt this area again in the future. It was a fun hunt and I feel the more I hunt it the better bucks I will find.

9575920181102133534.jpg

Mighty hunter,

Thanks for the write up and again for your help when I hunted the area archery elk. Although I haven't hunted the area for rifle deer you don't come across as being negative at all just realistic. The bottom line is Mule Deer are in my opinion the most in jeopardy big game animal in the west in all western states. Everyone has Idea's on how to help the problem unfortunately none are being implemented. Thanks for sharing your season.

>Good write up Mightyhunter. I
>to was in the same
>areas.
>guided a hunter in 109/105/106 and
>the hunter passed a solid
>160 class whitetail. Over
>the course for the muleys
>we saw a lot of
>2 points and a handful
>of 140-150 class muleys.
>I know of a few
>guys that took some 170-190
>class bucks in the area
>on opening day and they
>passed some good bucks before
>they shot those.
>
>For the North Fork as always we saw a ton of does and fawns and we did hammer some big muleys. Maybe our spot is better than yours MH. LOL LOL LOL> just kidding, or its luck. I will say we didn't see one nice buck after another but we did find them putting several miles on the mules.
>
>I have my thoughts to about
>the mule deer. I find
>a lot of draws with
>severe mountain kills along with
>bighorn sheep. I personally would
>like to see more mountain
>lions taken but I know
>the issue goes beyond that.
>

Let see some pictures of the big Muleys you hammered

Thanks for the write up. It's so sad to here the reality of the mule deer up there. We were up in Cody Thanksgiving week. Took a couple of drives to both the North and South Forks. Saw tons of deer, but not very many big mature bucks. In fact we probably saw 400-500 deer one drive and the buck to doe ratio was absolutely horible.

After some interaction with G&F over the last 10 days, I can say that some changes may be coming. The Clark's Fork mule deer herd is in severe decline and way below objective numbers. The Shoshone River herd is also in severe decline. I have witnessed the decline with my own eyes.

What are the causes of the decline? I have some theories and have expressed many of them previously. I am no wildlife biologist and don't profess to be one. I have talked to the local biologist about the situation. He is new to the area but he seems like a decent fellow. The G&F people I have talked to believe that the decline in recent years is the result of late migrations and severe winterkill. I believe the problem is much greater than that but would acknowledge that this is some of the problem. I made some suggestions but have no idea whether they will even be considered.

Some of my thoughts are as follows:

1) When many of the general elk units went to LE, I don't think the folks at G&F thought much about the "unintended consequences" that might take place with the mule deer. This area has an abundance of outfitters that hunt mostly public land. Many of them booked a lot of elk hunters which provided a nice revenue stream. That revenue stream was severely diminished with all the LE elk areas. The outfitters turned to the general season mule deer hunts in Region F to stay afloat. The outfitters are now harvesting more mule deer bucks. I think this is a bigger problem on the Shoshone River Herd and less of a problem on the Clark's Fork Herd. Open some of the LE elk units to more tags or return them to general. I have had one G&F warden tell me that at least one general elk unit that went to LE should have stayed general. I have taken some decent bulls in that area.

2) Predation by lions and wolves on mule deer seems to be a problem. I can only speak to what I am seeing in the areas I hunt. I am seeing more lion sign and more wolves. In fact, I saw more wolves than I did mature mule deer bucks in Area 106. I have a friend who guides lion hunters. He told me that he treed 42 cats last year but only harvested 7 large toms. I would like to see more young lions taken out. Perhaps the hound hunters should be allowed to purchase multiple tags each year to harvest the younger lions. If you don't think that young lions hammer the mule deer, I believe you are mistaken.

Many of the wolf quotas are still not filled. Let me say that I think spot and stalk hunting for wolves is not easy. I believe the first wolf quota filled was the area around Sunlight/Crandall. I checked online in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming to see what a NR wolf tag cost. I may be wrong, but Idaho was around $ 30, Montana was around $ 50 and Wyoming was like $ 180. I also note that very few NR are buying wolf tags. I wonder why? Why not reduce the price or offer NR hunters coming to Wyoming to hunt deer and elk to receive a voucher to purchase a NR wolf tag for less than $ 50. I also believe that Montana and Idaho allow trapping for wolves. Should Wyoming do the same?

3) I think the G&F should make an effort to get more accurate harvest information for mule deer in NW Wyoming. Voluntary surveys are just that. Make it mandatory for all persons to report their success or lack of success. No tag for the following year, if you don't report for the prior year. There is no check station set up for deer harvested in 109, 106 or 105. I have never been checked by anyone from G&F while hunting in those areas. There is a check station for the North Fork and South Fork of the Shoshone.

4) Since I have hunted mule deer in this area, I have seen season dates materially altered in 106, a temporary implementation of a 4pt rule, and the addition of 106 as LE for the first 15 days of November. That LE deer tag only used to include unit 109. The odds of drawing that 105,106 and 109 tag for residents and NR is virtually nil. Currently, there is a 4pt restriction on the Shoshone River Herd.

I think some radical changes may be necessary. In area 106, I have heard that the general deer season may be closed after the 25th of October. It used to close after the first week of November.That was cut back to the last day of October a few years ago. Cutting back the season on what are essentially migratory mule deer may virtually eliminate the harvest of mature bucks. The local spikes and forkies will be most of the deer seen and harvested. I have also heard the G&F will be cutting the Region F tags down even further. This means the NR will have to buy the higher priced "special tags" if they want to hunt mule deer in NW Wyoming. The outfitters will encourage this.

I say if the G&F wants to do something meaningful in Area 106 in Region F, they should close the entire unit to all mule deer hunting in 106 both general and LE for at least 2-3 years. I think it is borderline fraudulent for G&F to sell NR general deer tags to the unsuspecting out of state hunter who wants to hunt 106 knowing full well with the season date changes they may never see a mature buck let alone shoot one. Essentially if you want to hunt 106 you are paying the G&F for the opportunity to "take a walk with your rifle". As we all know in Wyoming, you can do that anyway without a deer tag. If they cut the season back in 106, you can darn well bet that the out of state hunters will start hammering the Shoshone River Herd. Again, we would be dealing with the unintended consequences of G&F decisions.

I believe that the decline of the mule deer population in NW Wyoming is coming to a head. It may well be that the resource is lost forever. That is the way I am leaning. I would strongly advise any NR hunter to think real hard before booking any guided hunt for $ 4,500 or even hunting DIY in most of Region F. You may not like what you see.

just sayin...mh

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom