Middle Fork Elk in November

HAP

Is the November elk hunt even feasilble or the area even accessible during this time of the year?

I know some guys that float the river for it. No idea what the logistics are I just know that’s how they hunt it

We spent 5 days close to the Middle Fork last year hunting deer in mid November. I can think of a ton of other places I would rather hunt elk. That is just brutal country.

F080805E-3BBF-419A-A9FA-3288E0729331.jpeg

ABC21224-CB23-4DBA-B5CB-B0D4E22F226F.jpeg

3E6244B1-16CF-45ED-A318-18DA30202F43.jpeg

Yeah I think I may be in a bit over my head on this gal. I don’t mind working hard and it’s more rewarding that way. Just thinking about access getting in and out.

You have about 4 roads to pick from to get into there with a substantial amount of driving on unpaved dirt. If there is a lot of snow be ready to chain up. Some years there isn’t too much snow. Lots of dead zones with no animals in that zone. Most of your obvious and close to access areas are the dead zones because they get hunted out. There are easier elk to be had all over the state. The terrain is so steep that the likelihood of shattered antlers is very high. My success rate in that zone is 100%, my regret after pulling the trigger in that zone is also 100%. I have friends that drive hundreds of miles to meet me in the area only to turn right back around after the first few hours of hiking. The high success stats are due to outfitters and guys on horseback going way back in there. Bulls can be had on specific hilltops every year, but the matter of getting there is a completely different story. I reserve a week to pack elk out. Generally I can find the elk in one or 2 days. If you access the zone through the Salmon Zone you have to walk right past elk to get to your zone.

Jdmaxwell would you mind showing a picture of that Bull or PM me. I saw the big non- typical killed this year in Pennsylvania, your Bull looks of the same caliber. I’m sorry not trying to high Jack the thread.

You have about 4 roads to pick from to get into there with a substantial amount of driving on unpaved dirt. If there is a lot of snow be ready to chain up. Some years there isn’t too much snow. Lots of dead zones with no animals in that zone. Most of your obvious and close to access areas are the dead zones because they get hunted out. There are easier elk to be had all over the state. The terrain is so steep that the likelihood of shattered antlers is very high. My success rate in that zone is 100%, my regret after pulling the trigger in that zone is also 100%. I have friends that drive hundreds of miles to meet me in the area only to turn right back around after the first few hours of hiking. The high success stats are due to outfitters and guys on horseback going way back in there. Bulls can be had on specific hilltops every year, but the matter of getting there is a completely different story. I reserve a week to pack elk out. Generally I can find the elk in one or 2 days. If you access the zone through the Salmon Zone you have to walk right past elk to get to your zone.

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom