MIGHT AS WELL SELL YOUR TRAIL CAMS & NIGHT VISION!!!

I see no real problem with those changes but it's if true that money talks with Utah big game i don't see them getting the trail cam law passed the way it's written right now..there will be plenty of our great outfitters squealing.. But it would be nice to walk up to a water hole and not seeing 10-20 cameras scattered everywhere

I don't use either of them I'm somewhat old school I believe in the hunt and the excitement that it brings.
Finding an animal in the dark only to run out in the morning to quickly kill it before it leaves the area is not hunting in my book.
I am glad the cameras are gone it will be nice to come to a waterhole and not see cameras all over it.
Technology is a double edged sword

Foot In The Door Maybe?

Did you guys read the proposal??? They are not banning trail cams, just the trail cams that send pictures from the camera to the hunter. And only during the big game season. The normal cameras are still legal with no limitations.

Foot In The Door Maybe?
I don't think so, the survey they conducted showed more support for trail cams, just not the transmitting ones.

I just read the story you posted, the way they word it in the story makes it sound like they are doing away with all of them, but unless I misheard when I watched the presentation I thought they was only putting the season on the ones that send pictures with no limitations on regular trail cams.

Here is the video link to them talking about the survey they conducted.

And here is the proposed changes video. Go to the 6:25 seconds mark for him saying they are only banning transmitting trail cams

Thanks for the vids JakeH... It was great to watch those and see the numbers from those surveys. Kind of fun to see is I'm in the majority or minority with my responses.

Has anyone looked at what is list under night vision definition. They classify any infrared imaging as night vision. Maybe that's not there intention but that would mean that all cameras would fall under the definition of night vision and be illegal to use.

So there going to take away our night calling coyotes ,with fleer , white hot , but let us still cast illumination at night ? we kill coyotes that otherwise we couldnt kill at night , which means more predation ? seems silly

As long as they don't limit or take my long range weaponry that does the actual killing all is well! Take my cameras, but let me keep my long range rangefinders, and optics. Stay at it Utah, gotta cater to us rifle guys!

As long as they don't limit or take my long range weaponry that does the actual killing all is well! Take my cameras, but let me keep my long range rangefinders, and optics. Stay at it Utah, gotta cater to us rifle guys!
Define "long range".
I remember people bragging about 700 yard "lob shots" with 270's and standard 7 mags 20+ years ago.
Because I have a turret scope on my six five I can't use it under 500?

Define "long range".
I remember people bragging about 700 yard "lob shots" with 270's and standard 7 mags 20+ years ago.
Because I have a turret scope on my six five I can't use it under 500?
No, you can use it. That's what makes Utah such a great state for long range hunting. They are only limiting everything that doesn't actually KILL the animal. Lob away Slam! I know I will be with my 6.5 Creedmore baby!!! When they limit my long range killing weapons I'll be pissed! Even though that would probably be most beneficial to the herds, but it's not about that. I love that Utah caters to guys like you and I that love our long range hunting! Is it September 18th yet? Can't wait to knock a rut crazed bull in the dirt with my .338 Lapua, should be fun!

A Medium PUMKIN Cover!

And now a Creedmoor!

GEEZUS!

No, you can use it. That's what makes Utah such a great state for long range hunting. They are only limiting everything that doesn't actually KILL the animal. Lob away Slam! I know I will be with my 6.5 Creedmore baby!!! When they limit my long range killing weapons I'll be pissed! Even though that would probably be most beneficial to the herds, but it's not about that. I love that Utah caters to guys like you and I that love our long range hunting! Is it September 18th yet? Can't wait to knock a rut crazed bull in the dirt with my .338 Lapua, should be fun!

I find it interesting that we blame other people that use any new technology to gain an edge. The truth is if every Utah resident could get a deer tag with a reasonable chance of filling it no one would care about the long range hunting, trail cameras or the thermal. The truth is 100% of our frustration should be with the sad management of the deer. we have amazing deer habitat in Utah with no deer. I personally use a thermal to hunt coyotes. The sad part of having something that I can see what's really there with so well is what I don't see. And that's mule deer in the night, in premium habitat. I have read so many threads of people mad at other hunters that use technology to find deer. If you are one of those people have you ever ask yourself why someone would spend $4000 on a long range rifle set up $2000 on optics $5000 on a thermal $1000 on trail cameras??? Maybe its because we have no deer.... If we did have a healthy population of deer why would someone spend that kind of money to hunt them? The answer is they wouldn't. The Utah DWR gives out suggestions like ban thermal and trail cameras..... Is that going to fix the Deer population??? no it will still suck because the only difference will be a few bucks living another month or two until someone finds them. We need a real shift in our states management of the deer. because what we are doing now isn't working.

Last edited:
I see no real problem with those changes but it's if true that money talks with Utah big game i don't see them getting the trail cam law passed the way it's written right now..there will be plenty of our great outfitters squealing.. But it would be nice to walk up to a water hole and not seeing 10-20 cameras scattered everywhere
Can you really show me a pic where there are 20 cameras on a Pond??? I have personally never seen that many before. Yes I have seen as many as 6 and that feels like alot but lets really not embellish things.

waterhole-animated-1000px.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom