Migration

Depends on the mountain range and area. Some areas are based on Snow, other areas the rut, And some areas the 1st or 2nd week of Oct regardless of snow.

Whatever the mountain range tends to be it will usually stay consistent year after year.

It is not something you can predict. The rut, length of the days (daylight) and the weather are all factors. In NW Wyoming, it usually starts Mid October to early November. just sayin...mh

S Central Idaho, where I hunt, the first good snow, even 3"-4", will start them moving, anytime after the first week of Oct. Without ongoing storms they will take their time, week-ten days to get near wintering grounds. If weather holds till last week of oct, they start anyway, but can be down in a day to day and a half. That's 50 mi as crow flies over steeeep mountains.

We hear lot's of stories about guys hunting all the way till thanksgiving up high, but not any more. Something changed.

All that said, those big boys still seem to hold back or at least stay hidden until the rut in mid-Nov.

I agree with BPK and Heartshot. I took my best General season buck on the 12th of October, and he was already migrating with other bucks. In most years, they seem to migrate near the beginning of October, but will hang in the timber at mid elevations.

Pet Door Sales and Installation
www.utpetdoor.com

If you find tracks in 12" of snow up high it wouldn't be a forky.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Where I have hunted all through Idaho I wouldn't plan on any real migration for big bucks in October unless the snow really dumped in the area.

I filmed a 230+ muley at 10,200ft on a January 15th one time chasing a hot doe, the buck was killed Sept that same year scored 270+ NM Govenors tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom