Millenials

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
So a millenial we know couldn't get her car started. We called and even came to the door to give her a ride. She said pick me up in an hour as I didn't get ready. No wonder she has lost about 20 jobs in 7 years.

That’s why I think it’s important to have the kids get a job while they’re in their teens. I’m not talking 40 hour a week job, maybe 16. My parents encouraged us to work and it was the best thing they could have done. We all learned, at an early age when our brain is still developing to take orders, show up on time, put up with bosses you don’t like, and do dirty, crappy tasks that aren’t fun like tend the trash and clean the floor. No one does that anymore. They think it’s too unpleasant for their babies. Now when they get a job they’re 25 or 26 and know everything except how to work.

child labor was the best thing that ever happened to me. Entitled little shits today wouldn’t know a days hard work if it but then on the back side.

If it isn't on an app it doesn't exist... I get this all the time in Construction. They know everything just ask them.. In meetings they are on their phone and when it comes time for them to talk we have to repeat everything again because they were on their phones...

The Construction industry is doomed. The need for qualified trades is crazy. We use one door company on most of our projects. There are only 4 Carpenters with them. Not only will they install doors, they will do just about all finish carpentry and even make simple countertops. I see a new guy about every month and he usually washes out a few weeks later. The only ones there are the older, 40+ years olds. One particular guy is my favorite. One time recently I was talking to him and going through his tools on his cart, because he usually has cool stuff, and I picked up his tap and die set. I asked him if he thinks the young generation even knows how threads are made. We laughed because we both knew they don’t.

It’s so neat to see a young go getter. I stare at them in awe, like I didn’t know they still make them.

The Construction industry is doomed. The need for qualified trades is crazy. We use one door company on most of our projects. There are only 4 Carpenters with them. Not only will they install doors, they will do just about all finish carpentry and even make simple countertops. I see a new guy about every month and he usually washes out a few weeks later. The only ones there are the older, 40+ years olds. One particular guy is my favorite. One time recently I was talking to him and going through his tools on his cart, because he usually has cool stuff, and I picked up his tap and die set. I asked him if he thinks the young generation even knows how threads are made. We laughed because we both knew they don’t.

It’s so neat to see a young go getter. I stare at them in awe, like I didn’t know they still make them.
The Latinos are ready to take over, they already own all the concrete, drywall, and draming trades. Now they are moving into finish carpentry, cabinets, and before long electrical/plumbing/HVAC.

Well they are willing to work cheaper until they own the business then they will bring up their prices.
If everyone wants cheap const, labor workers they better not close the border. We don't get it both ways. IMO

Try as I might, I could not get my youngest son to learn a trade. Here in Elko at the college we probably have some of the best vocational training anywhere. Tried like hell to convince him if he learned a trade like electrical, he could work anywhere, anytime. He changed jobs just recently where he has to deal with electrical issues, motors, compressors, etc. He mentioned to me the other day he wished he would have taken up my offer. SMH. My oldest is just north of 30 and a go getter. Has a nicer house than I.

You are absolutely correct, the construction industry & practically every other hands on trade.
I travel for work doing field service on bottling equipment & work with maintenance mechanics and electricians on every job. I would estimate that the average age of all of the guys is in the mid 40’s to late 50’s. They / I am a dying breed. I do occasionally work with a few young bucks & I’m always interested to hear what their long term goals are. It’s rare to hear them say that they intend to stay in the business, but generally I must say that most of them are hard workers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom