Missouri Breaks, MT

Plowboy85

Good evening guys, looking for some opinions on hunting the Missouri breaks for mule deer. We have hunted Wyoming several times for elk and deer but my buddy and I would love to experience Montana. We understand there aren’t trophy’s running around everywhere but he is a great friend and we have a blast together. So the question is, what units would you suggest and why, please. We were thinking the UL Bend, CWR refuge or the blm land, we thought it could work out if we get a bit off the road and really cover some ground. It doesn’t seem like hotels near by are an option so we would likely fill up a stock trailer with equipment and stay in the wall tent on a campground. I have heard the rodes can become impassable but surely there are gravel roads correct? Thank you all in advance.

As a nonresident you must Have drawn a NR A tag. Plenty of great opportunity in the Breaks. boot leather, snake chaps. Just hunt hard away from the Ford Sneakers and you will see decent bone!

I was under the impression that it was a general tag and that is an OTC, if I understood you correctly that is incorrect. It will be next year (2021) that we do this because we already have plans this year. Is it likely that you will draw on your first year? We actually bought preference points this year if that makes any difference to your answer. I should add we were thinking of rifle but one of us would pack our bow Incase the opportunity is there.

The roads are definitely impassable when wet - it's not an exaggeration, just don't try it. There won't be gravel roads where you are likely to hunt. Many are pretty unpleasant when dry, so you don't want to head down a road in the middle of the breaks with your trailer if you haven't driven it first.

There are a lot deer there and a lot of land to hunt, which translates into a lot of pressure. However, most people aren't venturing far from their trucks or utv's. If you get off the roads, you will find deer but don't expect to shoot a monster.

The roads are definitely impassable when wet - it's not an exaggeration, just don't try it. There won't be gravel roads where you are likely to hunt. Many are pretty unpleasant when dry, so you don't want to head down a road in the middle of the breaks with your trailer if you haven't driven it first.

There are a lot deer there and a lot of land to hunt, which translates into a lot of pressure. However, most people aren't venturing far from their trucks or utv's. If you get off the roads, you will find deer but don't expect to shoot a monster.
What are the chances of the roads/ground being frozen early to mid November? Is there any specific units you would suggest to camp and hunt out of?

What are the chances of the roads/ground being frozen early to mid November? Is there any specific units you would suggest to camp and hunt out of?
They can be at times, but they can be total slop. Take multiple spare tires an a high left jack. Guys will also take T post. You can use them with a winch to get unstuck. I found out the hard way about this. I ran over someone's broken t post and had to change a tire in the mud.

The area is loved to death or over run to death how ever you wish to view it. It is a fun area to hunt for sure as long as you keep your expectations in check and know what you are willing to hang a tag on.

If you draw a general deer A tag you can hunt there. It is special permit for elk tags for each district. Beware of how many elk hunters, especially cow permit holders will be out there and all them seem to bring along a couple of buddies that will shoot the first legal buck they see. The camps will be filled with guys filling tags with forked horns and immature bucks.

Are there some bucks out there that push past age 2? Yes but they are few and far between any more.

The breaks can be a fun place. Anyone who hunts them can appreciate the term impassable when wet. Also another item that everyone who hunts there learns (usually the hard way at some point). Driving to your favorite spot in the morning all the gumbo is froze. By the time you head back to camp later that day, gumbo mess.

Good evening guys, looking for some opinions on hunting the Missouri breaks for mule deer. We have hunted Wyoming several times for elk and deer but my buddy and I would love to experience Montana. We understand there aren’t trophy’s running around everywhere but he is a great friend and we have a blast together. So the question is, what units would you suggest and why, please. We were thinking the UL Bend, CWR refuge or the blm land, we thought it could work out if we get a bit off the road and really cover some ground. It doesn’t seem like hotels near by are an option so we would likely fill up a stock trailer with equipment and stay in the wall tent on a campground. I have heard the rodes can become impassable but surely there are gravel roads correct? Thank you all in advance.
If you really want to cover some ground as you say, do it with your glass. mtmuley

I had a guy tell me they(4 guys) hunt it, out of a boat. They glassing the shoreline and the coulee's from the water side.
Can't remember if it was a cabin Cuiser or pontoon.
they said they did good doing it that way.
I use to hunt (97 and 98) down around Fairview and the chamber of commerce of Fairview hooked us up with a couple ranchers that had a ton of deer eating sugar beets looked like a herd of cows with whitetail and muley's deer together. Had buck tags for Muley's and doe tags for whitetail. Stopped going there when Blue tongue hit that area. We got to setup the camp trailer in the farm yard and hook up to their power and water.
I know we had to drive from Fairview into ND go north then take another road back into MT the farm was next to a river across the road was a lot of breaks great hunting. One of the farms last name was BORG. Don't know if it is still a good area or not BUT with those fields still growing crops it should still have deer. Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom