ML Blind Blues

Bluehair

Long Time Member
Ok, a short rundown on my season. First, two days before it started the outfitter who leased the place next door stuck a 1500 sf blind right in the middle of things. I hate having to adapt.

Then on opening morning about 1/2 hour after sunrise, they decided to march some poor feller down the fenceline to said blind. He opened all the windows so he was perfectly silhouetted inside like a fish bowl.

So yesterday I decided to go old school and see if I can still sneak around. Turns out I’m good at moving slow. :) I had all my neighborhood bucks standing around in the trees at 30 yards for 10 or 15 minutes. With the hammer cocked and the bead on this deer, I kept reminding myself that the freezers are full.
9CA544AC-B982-417A-81C4-8D2920767B6A.jpeg

Anyway, since it looks like tag soup for me this year I decided to head out with the camera. Gun along of course because there is one keeper running around still.;)

Anyway, it was a fun morning right up until disaster struck. While I was taking pictures, the seat on my wore out old lawn chair ripped. Fat man down! The deer thought it was real funny. I thought I was going to have to call 911, but I couldn’t reach my phone. Finally I did one of those horror movie moves where the person tied to the chair pitches themselves over. Which attracts more deer to see just what the heck is going on.

So how was your morning. :ROFLMAO:
AACB98D8-620B-4BC6-A2E9-AC1909841C05.jpeg
I’ll stick up some pics in a few minutes when I get the camera downloaded.

Last edited:
Ok, a short rundown on my season. First, two days before it started the outfitter who leased the place next door stuck a 1500 sf blind right in the middle of things. I hate having to adapt.

Then on opening morning about 1/2 hour after sunrise, they decided to march some poor feller down the fenceline to said blind. He opened all the windows so he was perfectly silhouetted inside like a fish bowl.

So yesterday I decided to go old school and see if I can still sneak around. Turns out I’m good at moving slow. :) I had all my neighborhood bucks standing around in the trees at 30 yards for 10 or 15 minutes. With the hammer cocked and the bead on this deer, I kept reminding myself that the freezers are full.View attachment 52208
Anyway, since it looks like tag soup for me this year I decided to head out with the camera. Gun along of course because there is one keeper running around still.;)

Anyway, it was a fun morning right up until disaster struck. While I was taking pictures, the seat on my wore out old lawn chair ripped. Fat man down. The deer thought it was real funny. I thought I was going to have to call 911, but I couldn’t reach my phone. Finally I did one of those horror movie moves where the person tied to the chair pitches themselves over. Which attracts more deer to see just what the heck is going on.

So how was your morning. :ROFLMAO:View attachment 52209 I’ll stick up some pics in a few minutes when I get the camera downloaded.
Sounds like you are a well rounded hunter.

I had a chair failure in my blind in Kansas. It was set up next to a cottonwood tree and I managed to wedge myself between on my back. I thought well they will find me here. Old men should not set in marginal chairs. It is humiliating. Darn old age isn't much fun. BH I got a good laugh, thanks.

Lets start with the guy who had an arrow hanging out of him last year. You can see the scar.
L1060930.JPG
L1180280.JPG

A view out the blind.
L1170851.JPG

I love a carpeted deer blind.
I usually put a canvas down but did the rv lawn instead. To be honest, it was the first thing I found in the shop. Which if you saw my shop you would understan. :ROFLMAO:

Canvas is quieter but it smells. Doesn’t seem to bother the deer though.

I had a chair failure in my blind in Kansas. It was set up next to a cottonwood tree and I managed to wedge myself between on my back. I thought well they will find me here. Old men should not set in marginal chairs. It is humiliating. Darn old age isn't much fun. BH I got a good laugh, thanks.
I have a treestand around here somewhere that’s going in the dumpster. I damn near died in a lawn chair. It was my first catastrophic chair failure.

I hit the ground almost as fast as that time my loving wife “tied” the hammock rope to the tree.?

That's what I call a eventful morning. Thanks for sharing the photos and being able to share a good laugh and join in. Keep it up and you may wear out your camera!!!

You CHUMMIN Blue?
Sorta.

One of the crats follows me down in the morning and hangs out around the blind.

It drives the deer nuts, especially the babies. They come up to the blind stomping and snorting.

Did you know that baby deer mew like an elk?

Cats are way better bait than apples. ? They seem to like a blind with an ice cold cooler of diet bud too.

I have a treestand around here somewhere that’s going in the dumpster. I damn near died in a lawn chair. It was my first catastrophic chair failure.

I hit the ground almost as fast as that time my loving wife “tied” the hammock rope to the tree.?
They don't make good stuff in China.

Nice forky out to the ends of his ears bet he never gets any bigger than a two point...
Nice pics Blue nice place you have there must be enjoying retirement. Can't wait

Alot Of Hunters Have Never Been Close Enough To Deer To Hear Them Talk Back & Forth!

Sorta.

One of the crats follows me down in the morning and hangs out around the blind.

It drives the deer nuts, especially the babies. They come up to the blind stomping and snorting.

Did you know that baby deer mew like an elk?

Cats are way better bait than apples. ? They seem to like a blind with an ice cold cooler of diet bud too.

Nice forky out to the ends of his ears bet he never gets any bigger than a two point...
Nice pics Blue nice place you have there must be enjoying retirement. Can't wait
Thanks (y), it’s a good place to sit one the patio. Little places like this are getting harder to find.

Yeah, I don’t think he’ll change much either. That buck with the arrow barely grew year to year.

I have a lot of “management” bucks around my place, but every once in a while a good one cruises thru.

Thanks (y), it’s a good place to sit one the patio. Little places like this are getting harder to find.

Yeah, I don’t think he’ll change much either. That buck with the arrow barely grew year to year.

I have a lot of “management” bucks around my place, but every once in a while a good one cruises thru.

Do The Good Ones Make it Past The Freezer?

I’ve only ever taken one deer here in 25 years. I’m not much of a killer anymore. I just like walking around with a license to kill.

But I did raise up two boys who kept the freezer full.
I have killed a few in the last 25 years but very few. I appreciate where you’re coming from, walking around with a license in your pocket is just different than walking around without a license, unless it with one of my boys. I love the outdoor but I have to have purpose or it’s leaves me flat.

So Blue, I have a couple questions, if you don’t mind.

Do many of these buck survive and live to grow older on your place?

Of those that do survive, how much increase is there in their tine length, width, height, and mass after their second year?

Not that it is the end all for mule deer antlers but as an indicator, what have you observed to be the average width of mule deer on your place after their second or third year?

So Blue, I have a couple questions, if you don’t mind.

Do many of these buck survive and live to grow older on your place?

Of those that do survive, how much increase is there in their tine length, width, height, and mass after their second year?

Not that it is the end all for mule deer antlers but as an indicator, what have you observed to be the average width of mule deer on your place after their second or third year?
I’m not sure I can answer those, or even know.

My calibrated eyeball says less than half those bucks will make it thru hunting season. It goes pretty much now until Thanksgiving. By the time the rut comes around, forkies are covering does because that’s all that’s left.

I’m exaggerating when I say no mature bucks make it thru, but they are pretty scarce. My guess is most of these deer only make it to 3 or 4, which isn’t near enough for them to reach their potential. So who knows how big they could actually get.

Its hard to describe the year to year changes, but its kinda like our kids. Even though they have the same parents, they can be different as night and day. So while all these deer are unique, I think you can say the nature of what their rack will look like shows up like our kids personalities.

But as far as rack size goes, it’s all shapes and sizes. Around here people pay a couple thousand to shoot a 24” 4x4. If I was going to generalize, I would say our deer are taller than they are wide. These hay field bucks do get fat and tasty though. :)

But hey, these are just the ramblings of an old fool sitting on the porch with a cold one in hand.

What a great morning besides your chair giving up on you. I had that same thing happen to me years ago in a lock on stand about 15’ up a tree. Scared the crap out of me. I caught myself, but I bought a harness right after that.

When those "dinks" start eating your roses and you need some culling done, tell me what tag to put in for and I'll help reduce the herd. :)
When Blue invites you up, I will be your new hunting buddy. Between the 2 of us we will have one good pair of knees between us. Lol

I’m not sure I can answer those, or even know.

My calibrated eyeball says less than half those bucks will make it thru hunting season. It goes pretty much now until Thanksgiving. By the time the rut comes around, forkies are covering does because that’s all that’s left.

I’m exaggerating when I say no mature bucks make it thru, but they are pretty scarce. My guess is most of these deer only make it to 3 or 4, which isn’t near enough for them to reach their potential. So who knows how big they could actually get.

Its hard to describe the year to year changes, but its kinda like our kids. Even though they have the same parents, they can be different as night and day. So while all these deer are unique, I think you can say the nature of what their rack will look like shows up like our kids personalities.

But as far as rack size goes, it’s all shapes and sizes. Around here people pay a couple thousand to shoot a 24” 4x4. If I was going to generalize, I would say our deer are taller than they are wide. These hay field bucks do get fat and tasty though. :)

But hey, these are just the ramblings of an old fool sitting on the porch with a cold one in hand.
Thanks Blue, emperical info is just that but sometimes our lying eyes run parellel to the science.

I don’t have deer in my yard year round, like you seem to have, but from the middle of October until the middle of March there are generally between 30 and 40. It is rare to have many bucks carry over from one year to another. A three year old is pretty rare here too.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks Blue, emperical info is just that but sometimes our lying eyes run parellel to the science.

I don’t have deer in my yard year round, like you seem to have, but from the middle of October until the middle of March there are generally between 30 and 40. It is rare to have many bucks carry over from one year to another. A three year old is pretty rare here too.

Appreciate your response.
Yeah, personal observations are the best, especially with the benefit of several years. Even a knucklehead like me can figure out what’s happening. That’s why I always like arguing in the first shed of the season posts.

Most years these local deer migrate 5 or 10 miles down the mesa to winter over by the Utard line. They leave about Christmas and return Mar/Apr. There are always a few hang around (mostly bucks) all year though.

For most of these deer, they spend their whole life living in a 2 or 3 mile circle (not counting the migration, which I can’t for the life of me figure out the need for). New blood comes in from hunters pushing them around, or sometimes strangers show back up after their little migration.

Where I’m at, the elk herds move in about the time the deer leave. There are getting to be more resident elk though. This bull summered a mile or two south of us last year. I have to get off the porch to go take pics of them, so I don’t have many. :ROFLMAO:
33666CA0-9B3A-454A-B4E9-EAC39EEB66AA.jpeg

That is so cool Blue!!! Now that I live in Vegas I really miss seeing local wildlife out the back door. All I ever get to see are hummingbirds & lizards now. Lol

Yeah, personal observations are the best, especially with the benefit of several years. Even a knucklehead like me can figure out what’s happening. That’s why I always like arguing in the first shed of the season posts.

Most years these local deer migrate 5 or 10 miles down the mesa to winter over by the Utard line. They leave about Christmas and return Mar/Apr. There are always a few hang around (mostly bucks) all year though.

For most of these deer, they spend their whole life living in a 2 or 3 mile circle (not counting the migration, which I can’t for the life of me figure out the need for). New blood comes in from hunters pushing them around, or sometimes strangers show back up after their little migration.

Where I’m at, the elk herds move in about the time the deer leave. There are getting to be more resident elk though. This bull summered a mile or two south of us last year. I have to get off the porch to go take pics of them, so I don’t have many. :ROFLMAO: View attachment 52434
Nice looking bull.

Regarding elk and mule deer sharing a location.

I moved into mule deer central in So Central Utah (Richfield) 46 years ago. My home is on the Monroe Unit, I’m 5 miles from the Fish Lake Unit, 6 miles from the Pahvant Unit, 16 miles from the Manti Unit and 20 miles from the Beaver Unit.

In 1975 there mule deer on all of these units by the 10s of thousands, there were a few dozen elk on the Fish Lake and the Manti unit’s and few if any one the Monroe, Beaver and Pahvant.

In the 80s and 90s elk began migrating to the Monroe, Beaver and Pahvant and the numbers of mule deer began to decline.

Many wanted to blame the elk, at least blame them for being a significant contributor to the mule deer decline. I have always preferred mule deer over elk but I was not convinced elk were guilty of causing any decline in mule deer numbers. I have spent thousands of hours watching mule deer and elk interact on the range. I have seen elk drive mule deer off water holes, kicking and slashing at them with there front feet, however, far more often, I see deer feeding in meadows right next to elk. I’ve seen deer feeding so close to elk their noses almost touch and the elk don’t seem the least bet concerned, I’ve seen them sharing small meadows far far more often than I’ve seen them in conflict.

So........ will I have started to think there may be a long term negitive impact that elk have on mule deer I’m still not sure. I’ve never seen any scientific research that’s been published, which totally surprised me (not really surprised I guess, based on the lack of an over all lack of mule deer reach) .

From your empirical observations, living in a similar environment, what is your opinion.

Last edited:
Nice looking bull.

I moved into mule deer central in So Central Utah (Richfield) 46 years ago. My home is on the Monroe Unit, I’m 5 miles from the Fish Lake Unit, 6 miles from the Pahvant Unit, 16 miles from the Manti Unit and 20 miles from the Beaver Unit.
Over the years, I've driven thru that area oodles of times and always said to myself, "Self, some day you need to hunt deer in this country." I never made it, tho.

So to this day, Utah remains one of only several states I've never hunted anything. I did fish the Green one time, tho.

Over the years, I've driven thru that area oodles of times and always said to myself, "Self, some day you need to hunt deer in this country." I never made it, tho.

So to this day, Utah remains one of only several states I've never hunted anything. I did fish the Green one time, tho.
I’ll be entirely honest. I love it here and there are lots of reasons for an outdoor sportsman to love it as well, but....... while you may have forgone the opportunity to enjoy the bounties of Utah, you certainly have reveled in the boundless wonders of many other equally great places.

It’s alway great to come home because it’s familiar and dependable but there are so very many other spectaular places in this country and this world it’s almost overwhelming to think about.

When I read about the activities and adventures of other sportsmen, like blank, eelgrass, SS!, leica, buzzh, Bluehair, hasbeen :), elk-assassin, stinkystomper, nemont, CAelknuts, yourself and countless others, who are, or have on an almost weekly bases, been squeezing every drop of outdoor experiences out of what they do, it keeps me envious of all the literally fantastic places there are to experience. From the Arctic to the rivers of Southern Argentina, the plains of Africa to the oceans of the Pacific............. what a world we live in and you, ODW have certainly tasted a great part of it. While you may have missed Utah, you haven’t missed much!!

I’ll be entirely honest. I love it here and there are lots of reasons for an outdoor sportsman to love it as well, but....... while you may have forgone the opportunity to enjoy the bounties of Utah, you certainly have reveled in the boundless wonders of many other equally great places.
Actually, it was a bit south of Richfield that I coveted. When heading north, I would take 89 to the cut-off from there into Beaver. That stretch of road twisted through some neat country.

I don't recall exactly where on 89 it happened, but about 25+ yrs. ago a co-worker of my wife's & his family were heading home to PHX. He was driving one of those flat-front vans at night & hit a bull elk. It came thru the windshield & an antler tine penetrated the guys head, killing him instantly. The van veered off the road & crashed. The lady & two kids both survived but sustained some pretty bad injuries.

I’m thinking the cut off road to Beaver may have been the Clear Creek Canyon Road, prior to the completion of Interstate 70 that replaces all but the very local traffic. The mountians the north and south produced some very large mule deer bucks, on those days. They still do but very few in numbers by comparison to the 50s 60s and even into the early 70s. Many many thousands of sportsmen hunted those units back then.

One of our secretaries father was killed by a bull elk antler coming through his windshield about 15 years ago. He was east of Salt Lake however. What’s the chance but it does happen. I put a cow elk into my windshield down by Bryce Canyon National Park a few years back. My hood folded up ahead of her and protected me from her coming into the drivers seat. It can happen fast.

I’m thinking the cut off road to Beaver may have been the Clear Creek Canyon Road, prior to the completion of Interstate 70 that replaces all but the very local traffic. The mountians the north and south produced some very large mule deer bucks, on those days. They still do but very few in numbers by comparison to the 50s 60s and even into the early 70s. Many many thousands of sportsmen hunted those units back then.
I just checked. It wasn't the one that came out in Beaver. It was 20, just north of Panguitch, that crossed over to I-15. I took it because it was the shortest connection to get to the interstate. I used it because I70 was way north, meaning I would have to stay on 89 mucho longer, & the cops in the small towns along the way didn't like me. :rolleyes:

I've been fortunate not to have hit a critter, especially when we were in CO. I did have a 4X4 buck bound over a fence & hit my right front fender but we were both going kind of slow in the snow. Neither of us sustained any damage.

My oldest son wasn't so fortunate, tho. He t-boned a mule deer doe with his 1982 Nissan PU to the tune of $2,700.

During the 3 yrs. we lived at the lake, my wife had winter jobs in Durango, working either at Ft. Lewis College or Redfield. Nearly every morning & night, she would meet up with a herd of elk somewhere along the route. Luckily never any problem, however.

I just checked. It wasn't the one that came out in Beaver. It was 20, just north of Panguitch, that crossed over to I-15. I took it because it was the shortest connection to get to the interstate. I used it because I70 was way north, meaning I would have to stay on 89 mucho longer, & the cops in the small towns along the way didn't like me. :rolleyes:

I've been fortunate not to have hit a critter, especially when we were in CO. I did have a 4X4 buck bound over a fence & hit my right front fender but we were both going kind of slow in the snow. Neither of us sustained any damage.

My oldest son wasn't so fortunate, tho. He t-boned a mule deer doe with his 1982 Nissan PU to the tune of $2,700.

During the 3 yrs. we lived at the lake, my wife had winter jobs in Durango, working either at Ft. Lewis College or Redfield. Nearly every morning & night, she would meet up with a herd of elk somewhere along the route. Luckily never any problem, however.
Yep. Highway 20 it is.

Nice looking bull.

In 1975 there mule deer on all of these units by the 10s of thousands, there were a few dozen elk on the Fish Lake and the Manti unit’s and few if any one the Monroe, Beaver and Pahvant.

In the 80s and 90s elk began migrating to the Monroe, Beaver and Pahvant and the numbers of mule deer began to decline.

Many wanted to blame the elk, at least blame them for being a significant contributor to the mule deer decline. I have always preferred mule deer over elk but I was not convinced elk were guilty of causing any decline in mule deer numbers. I have spent thousands of hours watching mule deer and elk interact on the range. I have seen elk drive mule deer off water holes, kicking and slashing at them with there front feet, however, far more often, I see deer feeding in meadows right next to elk. I’ve seen deer feeding so close to elk their noses almost touch and the elk don’t seem the least bet concerned, I’ve seen them sharing small meadows far far more often than I’ve seen them in conflict.

So........ will I have started to think there may be a long term negitive impact that elk have on mule deer I’m still not sure. I’ve never seen any scientific research that’s been published, which totally surprised me (not really surprised I guess, based on the lack of an over all lack of mule deer reach) .

From your empirical observations, living in a similar environment, what is your opinion.
I’ll have to wait until I get back to civilization. I don’t dare trying to type a fat finger cell phone response.

Sadly, we kill a lot of deer with cars. I’ve got 4, but my youngest is working hard to beat me, and in record time.

The most expensive one was my wife’s aluminum f150 with intercoolers and all that jazz. $9k.

We need more deer fence, or at least for CDOT to clear the damn brush off the side of the road. :mad:

It’s still open, still serving decent meals. I’ve had dinner there two or three times this year.

They did a good job refreshing the building a few years ago so it’s very attractive and clean. Meals are average to good, which seems to be getting harder to find now days. Especially in these more rural communities.

Next door they used to have one of the best turquoise jewelry stores I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen some good ones. A few years ago they rebuilt the store, upgraded the gas station and for whatever reason the turquoise jewelry quality went to crap. It’s still there but the quality and the prices are no where near what it once was. I think the old owners must have sold out when it was remodeled. Too bad, it was a classic for the old beautiful Navajo art turquoise.

Nice looking bull.

No doubt we are living in the golden age of elk hunting here in the west. Good management I guess. And I agree with what you have seen - it sure doesn’t look to me like they are anymore competitive than a deer and turkey are.

As for deer, my comments only apply to right here in this little spot. And I’m damn sure not an “expert” by any measure.

They say they need food, water, and shelter. There really wasn’t abundant water until our irrigation project was completed 30 years or so ago, and it’s why we have a ton of deer. They weren’t here in these numbers prior to the alfalfa fields.

And now they have so much feed they don’t even have to move. The list is too long so lets just say food, check.

And these farmers out here like to hunt (and get paid) and keep a pretty damn close eye on things. Human and animal predators are managed aggressively. Shelter, check.

So whats up with the deer on the forest? Feed and water are abundant, so that leaves shelter from human and animal predators I guess. I’m old enough to remember the days of “government trappers”. Now we import predators. :rolleyes:

And I don’t think we pay enough attention to what 2 months of relentless pressure does to their breeding. I’m concerned when I see forkies covering does.

It’s still open, still serving decent meals. I’ve had dinner there two or three times this year.

They did a good job refreshing the building a few years ago so it’s very attractive and clean. Meals are average to good, which seems to be getting harder to find now days. Especially in these more rural communities.
I stayed in the motel one time when my bride was traveling with me. We were on our way to SLC for the OWAA annual conference. Never visited the jewelry shop, tho.

I sure remember "government trappers". One of my dad's good friends was one and would stop by the house and show my dad big lions & bears he would catch on Douglas & Baxter passes. I believe his last name was Long. He drove an old Model A Ford pickup painted a dark green. He would putt down the county roads at about 20 MPH...really slow but sure.

No doubt we are living in the golden age of elk hunting here in the west. Good management I guess. And I agree with what you have seen - it sure doesn’t look to me like they are anymore competitive than a deer and turkey are.

As for deer, my comments only apply to right here in this little spot. And I’m damn sure not an “expert” by any measure.

They say they need food, water, and shelter. There really wasn’t abundant water until our irrigation project was completed 30 years or so ago, and it’s why we have a ton of deer. They weren’t here in these numbers prior to the alfalfa fields.

And now they have so much feed they don’t even have to move. The list is too long so lets just say food, check.

And these farmers out here like to hunt (and get paid) and keep a pretty damn close eye on things. Human and animal predators are managed aggressively. Shelter, check.

So whats up with the deer on the forest? Feed and water are abundant, so that leaves shelter from human and animal predators I guess. I’m old enough to remember the days of “government trappers”. Now we import predators. :rolleyes:

And I don’t think we pay enough attention to what 2 months of relentless pressure does to their breeding. I’m concerned when I see forkies covering does.
Well said. And...... regarding pressure...... the predator pressure the month of June, during the fawning weeks and the month of July......is, according to a Utah State/BYU Fawn survival study on Monroe Mountian a few years ago, having a significant impact, as you mentioned as well.

Thanks for taking the time to share your observations.

Hope you get to post us a pic of one of those big ones you have wonder through on occasion.

Hope Blue opens the window first. :rolleyes:
I was on a guided salmon fishing trip on the Kasilof River in Alaska in a drift boat. We came around a corner and there was a Bald Eagle perched atop a tree. I said, "Man, what a shot!" The guide asked me if I brought a camera? I told him I was thinking rifle shot. He didn't see the humor in that at all.

I was on a guided salmon fishing trip on the Kasilof River in Alaska in a drift boat. We came around a corner and there was a Bald Eagle perched atop a tree. I said, "Man, what a shot!" The guide asked me if I brought a camera? I told him I was thinking rifle shot. He didn't see the humor in that at all.
Gee, I wonder why. :rolleyes:

On one trip where I drove to AK, I ventured into the Chilkat Eagle Sanctuary via the road to Haines. It was early Sept. & there were hundreds of the big birds congregated in the trees.

I finally have closure on our season here when the dogs drug home the poached and lost buck. I was on a zoom call all day and they were unsupervised. I’ve been looking for it for a month.:rolleyes:

It is an event that infuriates me and now hopefully I can download my camera without flaming out. I promise to do that here.:oops:

Anyway, look forward to pictures of this guy literally seconds before some trespassing poaching POS plunked him in the guts with a ML from 200 yards. Then lied hiss ass off about it :mad:

On edit: he’s the big forky in post 9.
4B155619-AEE0-4126-95F6-E9284D481AC7.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m going to put a bow on this and call it done, even though it will piss me off.

As I said up above, I switched to the camera a couple days into the season. The gun was nearby in case a unicorn cruised thru.

Anyway, I’m sitting on my patio on the morning of the 18th (last weekend of the season) having my coffee and taking pictures like I do pretty much every morning. My favorite 2 point is standing on my pond dam enjoying his morning too, but bothered by something. I had just set my camera down after taking this pic
ED3691A6-A5C9-48A9-B55D-14E3DF6D3425.jpeg
and was watching him thru my big binos (they live on the porch on a tripod), when BOOM! and he jumped straight up and over the back of the pond, obviously hit. NOBODY has permission to hunt behind my house, not even me.:mad:

I hollered at the wifey (she hates the entire episode because it reinforces several of my neurotic characteristics) and ran in the house to put some shoes on. When I got out of the house, I see this lying POS crawling down the neighbors fence line. You don’t need orange when you shoot open sights from 200 yards.:mad:
A0D810B5-8A44-48D4-9305-B68FCE648F8A.jpeg

So as I was watching, he crawled up to a corner post, then lobbed another shot down into the trees. About then the neighbors tractor returned home, and he stood up and started walking back to their house where he was staying. He was obviously satisfied with the job he had done.:mad:
CEA03276-18B4-4AD4-8B87-0227B22B7C67.jpeg

By now I was standing behind the house having a WTF moment, and the neighbor called and said his hunter had shot a deer and it ran behind my house. I explained that was not exactly what happened, and he better get the outfitter out here pronto (he leases his place because he got tired of dealing with dumb ass hunters). Of course the outfitter was up in the mountains at elk camp and these guys were on the 4-figure “unguided” hunt. I told him to have them meet me down on the fence line where he left his stuff.

So 4 goobers from near Lancaster PA show up. They were Amish or some other kind of people who dress up like pilgrims, and they all looked like they were out of the same litter. And I guarantee you they had never heard that many f-bombs in their life. I told them they better get the outfitter there or next call was the sheriff. And we started looking.

After about an hour, I found where he jumped the fence into the other neighbors place and shook some blood off. So I called him. When he showed up I passed them off to him and told him they were lying poachers (by now they were getting a little tired of my banty rooster azz) and told them not to set foot back on my place FOR ANY REASON without coming to the front door first. Even supervised they couldn’t help doing stupid things.
C0C51A1F-8DC0-4A4B-A66B-E7BC69AAEE1B.jpeg

To make a long story short, after 3 hours (and continued support from moi) they lost the deer AND came back onto me at which time ol blue lost his shizzle. After that encounter, they were headed down the road in their motorhome about 60 on our dirt road.

Here, where you know - and often depend on - your neighbors, these things get a little sensitive. Same holds true for the local outfitters. Turns out these dudes hunt had ended on Friday, and they “had some issues“ with the motorhome they needed to fix. :rolleyes:Seems that when the neighbor headed out with the tractor that morning, and with the outfitter up in the mountains, they figured they could just run over to my place and pop one on their way out of town.:mad:

Some things I learned. Pilgrim looking dudes can’t shoot for crap, or read maps, or do pretty much anything legally. But they will ride an e-bike down to your pasture to stand on your sideroll to talk on the phone. And I should have tried harder to find the deer that day so I would have had evidence of a crime. And they love to lie.:mad:

I looked all over for that deer and never did find him, but my dogs brought the skull home 2 days ago. Another deadhead.:(
24230875-0C34-4543-9ABF-38E892ADE84F.jpeg

There’s more, but I’m tired of this story. Just beware a gang of outlaws dressed like pilgrims.:mad:

Last edited:
Don’t fault you one bit for getting grumpy. That was far too personal to end well, start to finish. Here’s to a better rutting season off your back deck!! Looking forward to a few more photos.

Dang! Hate to see that happen, it’s discouraging. Hope the other buck make it through without getting poached before next season!

Nothing is private anymore, signs don't mean a thing it is a wonder to me how entitled people are now days.
In my day you would have got a load of rock salt up your butt trying something like this. And you would have deserved it....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom