Monetary Value of Bonus Points?

legacy

Very Active Member
Currently I have 12 points for deer here in Utah and max points for deer in Wyoming. Over the past couple of years I have been trying to put a value on bonus points (JUST FOR FUN). The thought has crossed my mind that I would almost rather purchase a landowner tag for a unit like Vernon than use my 12 points for the tag. I know everyone's situation is different and the value of one guys bonus point may not equal the value another guys bonus point. I would just like to hear some thoughts on the subject.

On a side note, obviously max points for deer in Wyoming is much different then max points in Utah (or other states). And with 12 points in Utah, I am kind of in a tough spot. Anyway, just some thoughts rolling through my tiny brain.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-13 AT 09:59AM (MST)[p]If you have the money to spend....I would rather buy a landowner tag for the Vernon. Rather than burn 12 pts. on this unit. Unless something has changed down there in the last few years. Some people like this unit alot, espically locals that can spend alot of time there to scout the area out. I think it has been over hunted for to many years now. Add, the number of deer that has been poached on this unit over the last few years. I just think 12 points could be burned on a much better area. I have hunted this unit before, I was very disappointed after 9 days in the field on public ground. Seen alot of 2x3, 3x3 and 3x4 bucks. But,I have seen nice Bucks come from private property. The big dog at Hoyt hunts this unit on private property alot, he has done well. But, one mans junk, is another mans treasure!!! Good luck!!!

I have hunted Vernon multiple times as well and love the unit - very fun to hunt! But I agree, I wouldn't burn my 12 points on it right now either.

Your points in Utah are worth $10 each. Wyoming deer points are worth $40 each. Period.

Now, how you spend them and the eventual outcome of your expenditure may result in something of far greater value to YOU.

I understand your consternation.

Zeke

>Your points in Utah are worth
>$10 each. Wyoming deer points
>are worth $40 each. Period.
>
>
>Now, how you spend them and
>the eventual outcome of your
>expenditure may result in something
>of far greater value to
>YOU.
>
>I understand your consternation.
>
>Zeke

When they sent me my bonus point in the mail, it said "no cash value" on it. :)

When dealing with a tag broker a few years ago he told me they base their prices on how many points the tag takes to draw $800-$1000 for per point for elk, and $500-$800 for deer. With that being said you can usually buy a vernon tag for around $3500 which would make it a good deal, but for the price I think there are a lot better units to look at unless you already have a buck picked out on vernon.

>When dealing with a tag broker
>a few years ago he
>told me they base their
>prices on how many points
>the tag takes to draw
>$800-$1000 for per point for
>elk, and $500-$800 for deer.
>With that being said you
>can usually buy a vernon
>tag for around $3500 which
>would make it a good
>deal, but for the price
>I think there are a
>lot better units to look
>at unless you already have
>a buck picked out on
>vernon.

That is some really good information! Thanks for that!

And just to clarify, I was using Vernon as an example. I would consider buying a Vernon tag (I recently seen one for $3,000), but I would not use my points on Vernon. I've been applying for a similar unit, but now I'm to the point that I don't want to use my points on that unit either! On the other hand, I don't want to wait and hope I draw the Henrie's in my lifetime. I'm thinking maybe the Pauns or a CWMU. Not sure yet.

I haven't gotten real serious in buying voucher type tags. But for my situation and probably most others I can save the money to purchase a tag a lot faster than I would be able to build the points and draw the tag. One way to look at how much a Bonus point is worth is to see what some of the tags are selling for at auction then divide that into the number of points it takes to draw the tag at max points.

I would look serious at a Wyoming and Montana General season tag if you love Mule Deer hunting. It amazes me that there are units in these states, that are called general season units. That have better quality of Bucks than 75% of Utah L.E. Deer Units. And you can hunt Montana bucks during the rut. Since the deer tag prices went up in Montana, drawing a tag has got much easier to obtain. If I was you, I would hold my Utah points until I drew what ever tag I really wanted badly. No matter how long it took. Use other states to get your fix filled on hunting Mule Deer. It takes way to long to draw a quality L.E. Deer tag here in this state (Utah). Henry's and Paunsaguant might as well be called once in a life time tags... unless you are loaded with money....just being honest. Good Luck to you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom