Monroe Coyotes

Muley_73

Very Active Member
Was talking to my brother this afternoon about his day checking does with the DWR. He said it was a really intresting and educational day.

He talked to the helicopter pilot for a bit and was told that recently, over a two day period the pilot and his gunner had shot 55 coyotes in Bear Valley. Those of you that know this area know it is a rather small piece of the Monroe. I know we have a coyote problem, but WOW. That number amazed me.

I am also glad to see the DWR out gathering data on the does. I will really be intrested to see the numbers and birth dates of the fawns. It sounded like pregnancy rates were very good. Now let's just figure out how or why we are losing them.

That is crazy there were that many yotes in that area.
You can go thru there in the evening or at night and hear them but to take that many over two days? Makes you wonder just how many there really are around.
We all need to help work them over good...

I figured they were pretty thick down there. I was there two years ago with my 8 year old. The dogs were singing all night. We had an archery buck tag in pocket which would be one of the toughest hunts imaginable (very few bucks on the monroe) we were really using the trip as an elk scouting trip. We were driving to an area on the four wheeler and saw two coyotes, mid day, about 30 yards off the side of the road. I stopped the wheeler and was able to unstrap my bow hard case, put my release on and draw back before the dogs took off. It sure would have been nice to have 2 more seconds to let an arrow fly and get a coyote with a bow. In my experience coyotes never give you that long before they bolt. Just makes me think that there are a lot of them down there.

Everyone please take note:
The DWR is killing coyotes from the air BEFORE, the big new funding program went it to effect. Let's make sure they get the credit, is another way of saying it.

Yep, they are killing dogs. They just didn't have the funding to do enough. No doubt they will be able to do more now.

Its too bad the other states aren't stepping up with coyote control. I personally believe coyotes from other states will just fill in the holes.

Sarcasm

Take the money for coyote control and use it to raise 100s of millions of rabbits and let them loose on fawning grounds.

Since this is the latest reasoning for coyotes having a major impact on deer herds. Lack of rodents.

End of sarcasm

Without poison I just don't think its possible to control coyotes.

A good start.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I was there on saturday and the prego rates were very good out of the 20 does caught on saturday there was one that was not prego i didnt hear the numbers for today and i believe fridays were the same as saturday bear valley coyotes were around 55 and the sand ledges is what amazed me and if you know the area it is just across the highway and they took i believe 150 in 2 days of course its a bigger area but thats a big number just imagine out of 200 how many of those were prego

www.hightopoutfitters.com

so what your saying is a major problem for the monroe deer decline is coyotes! 200 dogs in 2 days is phenomenal! GOOD JOB ALL INVOLVED!

that will save alot of fawns this year.

Be interesting to see if the monroe hunters will report seeing more fawns.

>Everyone please take note:
>The DWR is killing coyotes from
>the air BEFORE, the big
>new funding program went it
>to effect. Let's make sure
>they get the credit, is
>another way of saying it.
>

+1

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-12 AT 03:20PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-12 AT 03:18?PM (MST)

At the Central RAC in January the Feds FWS tolds us that in order to significantly decrease the predation by coyotes on fawns, they have to kill at least 70% of the coyotes in a given area. Hopefully they did that.

It sounds like the UDWR is continuing to do what they have done the past few years- paying to selectively remove coyotes, at times of the year which will benefit the deer, on units which need help. I wonder if the $1 million in bounty funds would be better spent by heli-killing at specific times of year?

And who would have thunk?? The UDWR does another study on the pregnancy rate of doe and find that the doe herd is bred. So glad we spent the past two years fighting over bucks. (sarcasm intended). Anyone know how many bucks were in the unit's count that produced that 95% pregnancy rate?

Finally some are asking where the fawns are going. Refreshing. It is about FAWNS. Or at least it should have been and it should be....

Last Friday I was out yote hunting. We had our morning kinda ruined by either the state trapper or the Dwr shooting dogs out of a plane. Two separate stands we had dogs shot by the plane out in front of us. Kinda a bummer deal but at least they got taken out.

Traditional >>>------->

Packout,
The arguement has been about when the does are being bred. Does bred in Feb, Jan and Dec will be just as pregnant as the does bred in Nov. The issue is are those fawns all as likely to make it to the following spring? If they are then it would show that buck doe ratio is ok at a lower number? But just to say they are pregnant does not win or lose that theory either way.

I'm hoping we get some good data on when the fawns drop and how those fawns fair for the first year. I believe that is goal of this study?

"Good Data" are the key words there Mr. C! I will raise a glass as soon as some is provided.:) I hope, for the deers sake, that they do have some quality data out of this work. I do appreciate the fact that they are actively putting a dent in the predation population.

It's always an adventure!!!

Muley- Wait for it..... I agree with what you are saying. I was slighting the guys who have been saying here are not enough bucks to even breed the doe herd. I look forward to seeing the results of this research about fawns.

I hope all this work pays off in the next few years with more deer on the Monroe. The herd has really been suffering for the last 4-5 years.

i think we should get good results about the fawn crop. every deer caught had a devise implanted in with the fetis. when the fawn is born somehow the device is activated and they can get an idea of when fawns are being born. i dont know what other info they will take from the fawn other then some health study, but hey its a start.

I'm glad to hear they took that many out of the sand ledges. I've never been to a place and heard so many coyotes so often.

Sounds like they are getting a decent START for the area.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-12 AT 05:00PM (MST)[p]I'm glad they are getting after the yotes.

Next thing you know we will have hunters following the helicopter to pick up the carcusses for bounty turn in. (State paying twice)

Sounds like there is $2,700 (55 x $50) worth of bounty laying on the ground in in Bear Valley. Unless the helicopters are picking up the carcuses?

I heard they were gpsing each yote and retrieving them just hearsay though. I can't confirm that. Needless to say I've been calling dogs in the wrong area 200 a big number should tell the story with low fawn crops.

That may sound like a bunch of coyotes but they could fly it in a couple months and probably shoot as many. Coyotes from surrounding areas will fill in the voids pretty quick. We hunt an area that gets flown a couple times a year but we still call in a bunch of coyotes.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff
http://www.workmanpredatorcalls.com

Sounds like a great study.

Do any of you know where the funding for the study came from?

It is a good program, but Government Money will only go so far and every sportsmen needs to be a coyote hunter. Good place for sportsmen groups to concentrate their moneys. See a coyote on the deer or elk hunt. Don't worry about scaring the two-point you just saw - SHOOT THE COYOTE. Keep the pressure up on the other predators also. The wind seems to be changing, maybe we will get a deer herd back yet.

I'll be more specific:

Does anyone know the funding source for the mule deer study involving pregnancy, fawn drop, and I suspect other topics regarding mule deer on the Monroe?

The funding source for the coyote removal has been discussed previously. This project seems like a very good project to have been funded by revenue generated by the conservation tags. I'm trying to determine if anyone knows if that is the case, and if so which group, and if not how is it funded.

Wow that's getting it done. That's alot of dead dogs. To bad we couldn't take the money that is going into the new bounty program and put it to good use such as this.These kind of things are what will help us turn around the mule deer in this state.

Birdman since you started it yes sfw did the majority of the funding also lots of great volunteers and i believe but not sure mdf also dwr funded too.

"it does'nt matter what kind of boots your wearing, its where those boots take you that matters most."
Steve Pollock rip you will be missed

Thanks for the funding information. Made a couple calls today and was told that it was funded through conservation tag money.

Of course there were a lot of others that donated time and effort and also deserve credit. I give my personal thanks to all of you. IMHO is a very good use of conservation money.

Looking forward to seeing the data when it comes out.

Think of how much more money could go to things like this if the money didn't fill people's pockets first.

If I understand it correctly-- License fees will be raised by $5 and that money is earmarked for coyote (predator ?) population reduction.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-12 AT 10:31PM (MST)[p]Alot of the funding for this comes from conservation tag money. If you really believe that anyone is getting rich off the conservation tags then you should give me a call cause I have an awesome oppurtunity for you that can't miss. Only one person has ever made much and he only took the 10 percent that is allowed for the group that markets the tags for sale, and kept that as his fee. This is the second year of the study and the first year had the same prego rates but for some reason only a handful of the fawns made it to one year. Maybe with the coyote gunning in the area there can be some higher survival rates for this years fawns. It was nice to go to Hoyt on Saturday and watch the Governer sign into law more money for predator control from the general budget that is in the base budget from now on. Oh yeah that money for the DWR to gun those coyotes was lobbied thru the legislature a few years ago by a handful of sportsmen who have shown time and again that if given the chance Utah sportsmen will step up and deliver for the state whether bringing a convention to downtown Salt Lake and filling there hotels and resturants or selling conservation tags to raise money and restoring winter ranges all over the state where politicians can see the results and vote for predator control to grow more deer. I dare say no other state save Alaska could get thier legislature to pass this bill and then have the Governer make a big deal of signing it and talk of the importance of controling predators and growing a healthy deer herd.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom