Monroe Late Bull...

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I was able to fill my tag with this elk on the fourth day of the hunt after passing on several other smaller bulls. This bull was 1 of 3 pretty good bulls in a group of about 150 that we had seen the first night of the season but weren’t able to get a shot at any of them.

Without the help of my Dad and three other guys that pretty much guided me on this trip, it would have been 10 times harder to fill this tag with a good bull. They know who they are and I am truly grateful for their friendship and willingness to help a guy out on such a special hunt.

This bull is a 6 x 6 and was rough scored at 325 inches. I came into this hunt without huge expectations. I would’ve been happy with any bull I had chosen. I had to work my butt off in tough conditions in order to get a shot on this guy and it makes the experience that much more gratifying. Unfortunately, my Dad was not able to be by my side when I shot this bull simply because I had to hike in quite a ways to catch up to this herd. It was pretty rough country, it was cold and the snow hid every log and rock I had to climb over to get to these elk.

My Dad was ecstatic when I met him back at the truck. He greeted me with a huge hug and a congratulations. We hiked back in and field dressed and quartered the elk. The following day, several of us packed him out which made it a lot easier than it should’ve been. I owe the guys that helped me a huge thank you.

Upon packing this elk out, my Dad and I were in awe of the work involved in harvesting an elk. It’s all about preparation… Getting in shape, getting information from people, knowing where the elk are and where they might be going. Not to mention spending enough time at the range to know what your max limitations are. I was lucky enough to kill this bull at less than 200 yards.
To say I am lucky is an understatement. Drawing this tag as a non-resident with 10 points is ridiculous. I spoke with several locals who told me it takes them over 20 years to draw this tag and they have 85% more tags allotted. I do feel bad for residents that aren’t able to hunt close to home but I would give anything to draw this tag again 10 years from now.

elk1.jpg

elk2.jpg

elk3.jpg

elk4.jpg

elk5.jpg

elk6.jpg

elk7.jpg

elk8.jpg

elk9.jpg

That is a cool score and congrats on your Pop being there too. Although not on the kill itself, he sure does look proud. Congrats!

Nice Wisz!

You Didn't Really Haul that Elk Leg all the Way Back to KALI Did You?

Maybe a Souvenir for Ms Wisz?:D

Last edited:
I was able to fill my tag with this elk on the fourth day of the hunt after passing on several other smaller bulls. This bull was 1 of 3 pretty good bulls in a group of about 150 that we had seen the first night of the season but weren’t able to get a shot at any of them.

Without the help of my Dad and three other guys that pretty much guided me on this trip, it would have been 10 times harder to fill this tag with a good bull. They know who they are and I am truly grateful for their friendship and willingness to help a guy out on such a special hunt.

This bull is a 6 x 6 and was rough scored at 325 inches. I came into this hunt without huge expectations. I would’ve been happy with any bull I had chosen. I had to work my butt off in tough conditions in order to get a shot on this guy and it makes the experience that much more gratifying. Unfortunately, my Dad was not able to be by my side when I shot this bull simply because I had to hike in quite a ways to catch up to this herd. It was pretty rough country, it was cold and the snow hid every log and rock I had to climb over to get to these elk.

My Dad was ecstatic when I met him back at the truck. He greeted me with a huge hug and a congratulations. We hiked back in and field dressed and quartered the elk. The following day, several of us packed him out which made it a lot easier than it should’ve been. I owe the guys that helped me a huge thank you.

Upon packing this elk out, my Dad and I were in awe of the work involved in harvesting an elk. It’s all about preparation… Getting in shape, getting information from people, knowing where the elk are and where they might be going. Not to mention spending enough time at the range to know what your max limitations are. I was lucky enough to kill this bull at less than 200 yards.
To say I am lucky is an understatement. Drawing this tag as a non-resident with 10 points is ridiculous. I spoke with several locals who told me it takes them over 20 years to draw this tag and they have 85% more tags allotted. I do feel bad for residents that aren’t able to hunt close to home but I would give anything to draw this tag again 10 years from now.

View attachment 17992

View attachment 17993

View attachment 17994

View attachment 17995

View attachment 17996

View attachment 17997

View attachment 17998

View attachment 17999

View attachment 18000
nice bull and with Dad can't get much better than that

Congrats on your bull. The Monroe is an awesome place to hunt. It's easy to fill your head with huge expectations that could ruin the fun of the hunt if you let it. The Monroe can be a cake walk hunt for some and then be brutal for others. Just depends on the year and the elk patterns. Congrats again.

Congrats!
I’ve got a neighbor who is from Monroe and has 23 pts. I won’t show him this to rub it in. (maybe)
It’s been a good year for you

Wizsard! Ain’t nothing to be worried about that elk I’ll take that one any year I could get one CONGRATS BROTHER!

Joe

Looks like you and your dad had a great hunt and topped it off with a great Bull. Congrats, and Monroe is a great place to hunt elk!

View attachment 17992

View attachment 17993

View attachment 17994

View attachment 17995

View attachment 17996

View attachment 17997

View attachment 17998

View attachment 17999

View attachment 18000
I sure love deer and elk heart! Cut into thin strips salt n pepper a little flour cook in butter Delicious!

I sure love deer and elk heart! Cut into thin strips salt n pepper a little flour cook in butter Delicious!
I can't eat it, Joe. My Dad eats the heart and liver on most animals we kill. I was amazed at the size of the elk heart. I would love to see a moose heart in person.

I can't eat it, Joe. My Dad eats the heart and liver on most animals we kill. I was amazed at the size of the elk heart. I would love to see a moose heart in person.
I haven’t seen a moose heart yet either but I can’t wait too!
My friends tried to get me to eat deer heart I told them they were out of their minds until I tried it. You know come to think of it I still have last years AZ elk heart in the freezer humm sounds like Thanksgiving appetizer

I haven’t seen a moose heart yet either but I can’t wait too!
My friends tried to get me to eat deer heart I told them they were out of their minds until I tried it. You know come to think of it I still have last years AZ elk heart in the freezer humm sounds like Thanksgiving appetizer
Barf.....LOL

Barf.....LOL
I know I said the same thing! I gave some to a black guy that has never had wild game much less deer heart. One day he came in to have a beer and he said he was looking for something to eat in the freezer one night and decided to give it a try, he told me can he have another one? He said his roommate was asking him what are you eating he told him awe you wouldn’t like it!

Joe

Great looking Bull, Glad it was done with family. It's awesome that your Pops was on the hunt with ya. Lots of memories for you right there.

View attachment 17992

View attachment 17993

View attachment 17994

View attachment 17995

View attachment 17996

View attachment 17997

View attachment 17998

View attachment 17999

View attachment 18000
Great bull, congrats.

Clicked on the scrolling picture. I know it’s an old thread, I don’t care. Nice bull! I’ve taken several out under those conditions, it’s not easy in the snow, you break a sweat as if it was summer time also. You know what I’m talking about. Sounds like your adventure and experience were just as good as harvesting the bull itself. That’s what it’s all about! Congratulations!

View attachment 17992

View attachment 17993

View attachment 17994

View attachment 17995

View attachment 17996

View attachment 17997

View attachment 17998

View attachment 17999

View attachment 18000

Hey sir, congrats on that beautiful bull, where on the mtn did you shoot it. I had a tag that same year late season and shot my bull on Wednesday afternoon. It was a tough hunt, but a ton of fun and saw a ton of bulls and quite a few big boys. Here is the bull I shot!
Again congrats that's a gorgeous bull.
76893A25-8DBD-4B18-805D-8BDC792563B3.jpeg
2A54C370-B49E-4AE5-A28C-E693B6EB26CD.jpeg
49396138-98AD-4030-AC20-A5442C54A47D.jpeg
654C99FF-F3AB-4CE3-8201-43D7199B6AAA.jpeg
DCEA0F07-F9FF-456F-9EB3-16367A8922F7.jpeg
CC0AB580-90C5-408B-AABE-824EA9A13209.jpeg
114859F5-4CA4-4F3E-8EAE-C581C92F58E6.jpeg

That's a great bull....he's dang heavy and those fronts are sweet. We ended up killing my bull up near the west side kinda up where the quakies run thick. :)

That's a great bull....he's dang heavy and those fronts are sweet. We ended up killing my bull up near the west side kinda up where the quakies run thick. :)
Thank you sir, I was on the east side of the mountain just above Burrville there in a big burn. The bigger bulls were tucked right off the top, access from the top is hard because they see you coming and bottom access was a bugger to as you obviously hit that too. That snow and all the downed logs was down right scary packing out with heavy packs. It got way slick too in The steep areas. But that hunt was amazing and like you Im dreaming of lucking out again on another tag. Again congrats that bull you shot is a stud

Thank you sir, I was on the east side of the mountain just above Burrville there in a big burn. The bigger bulls were tucked right off the top, access from the top is hard because they see you coming and bottom access was a bugger to as you obviously hit that too. That snow and all the downed logs was down right scary packing out with heavy packs. It got way slick too in The steep areas. But that hunt was amazing and like you Im dreaming of lucking out again on another tag. Again congrats that bull you shot is a stud
I ended up killing a bull about 25 miles south of where you killed yours. I know exactly where you are talking about. Congrats again....lets both get lucky as hell and hunt it asap!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom