Montana 1999 1st Impressions

Weiserbucks

Very Active Member
This is a continuation of my other thread that kinda turned into a 28 Nosler discussion .

Picked up my rifle a few days ago and mounted the scope last night . 1st impressions of the rifle are not in line with the price tag . Upon inspection the casting and machine work on the action is so, so at best . The bolt is not very smooth upon cycling . The trigger can be best described as terrible , very long travel with several noticeable rough spots . The barrel to stock gap was extremely uneven , the barrel is fully floated however . The overall fit and finish reminds me of a mid 90's Savage .

Once I had the lower half of my Talley lightweight rings/bases torqued down , the front one was level and the rear was a full 1/2 a bubble off . My lapping bar revealed the misalignment to be minor and correctable .

I will take it to the range soon and see how it shoots . If it doesn't thoroughly impress , this rifle will be no longer welcome in my collection .

Sorry to hear of your disappointment in the rifle so far. I hope it shoots like a champ. Like I said before, they're a bit rougher than some semi-custom actions but a bit of polishing on the rails and bolt can really slick 'em up.

The triggers are rarely honed and adjusted to be anything but terrible but that's an easy fix for a competent smith.

Thanks for the update.

Zeke

I know that the issues with the rifle can be resolved , I was just expecting more for my money . It kinda defeats the purpose of buying a semi custom only to turn around and have to the same modifications as one would usually do to a full scale production rifle . I wont be putting another dime into this rifle unless it shows some real promise at the range . I really want to like this rifle , but its tough so far .

I'll offer $300 and pay my own shipping and FFL fees!
Problem solved.

Back to reality:
Everyone sees things differently but a trigger job and smoothing the action is tantamount to washing a new truck.. to me. No big deal... if the rifle shoots well.

I hope it shoots tiny little groups for you. Heavens knows the cartridge should be a real performer if it shoots well enough.
Zeke

$325. if you'll accept small monthly payments... ;-)

From your description, I'd be let down and disappointed too.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I've been happy with my 300wsm 99. I glass bedded the action and a little trigger adjustment (easy), and it was good to go. Best load in it has been w/200gr accubond. Shoots 165 sierra and 180 accubond very well. Tweeking powder loads and work with it. The 200 shoots same hole. I also got a 338wm 99 that i just started working on. I ALWAYS bed my guns to my liking. That is most of the fun with getting a new toy....making it better. My 99 shoots better than my kimber SA 338wm, & my mauser 98 custom 280ai. Both 99s are extreme weather.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom