Montana Bucks and Bulls

soupcreek

Howdy,
I thought we ought to create a place to gather all the pics of this year's Montana kills. Post 'em all. Big ones, little ones, and everything in between.
I'd rather have my Montana resident tags than any other state. I have a baby due soon, so I won't be getting out for a while. I'm very grateful for the length of our seasons. Good luck to all this year, whether from Big Sky country, or just visiting.
Post up your pics, Gentlemen!
Thanks,
Soup

Well, I'll get this started and hope others follow suit, I love seeing those huntin' pics! These are from our opening day hunt. A little weather as you can see. Very tough hunting, all the goats were herded up for winter! Finally got on a herd of at least 70 animals and dropped my buck with 1 shot at 300 yards from my 300 wsm. Managed to get back on the herd and my buddy got another buck at 200 yards. There were bigger bucks in there (2 bigger than the one I shot) but they were smack in the middle of the herd and no shots, we had to pick 'em off the edges. My buck was nice and wide w/ good mass and cutters, pretty decent buck for the area I hunt which is not known for monsters.

001.jpg

023.jpg

010.jpg

025.jpg

First Montana buck of the 08 season. Waiting to fill my other buck tag during the rut!
48f607fb7478dd6d.jpg

Awesome pictures, makes me really wish i drew this year. The first buck shown is a really cool looking buck. If you dont mind me asking what part of the state this was in?

what unit did your goat come from, if you don't mind my asking (I only ask because you will probably never go again).

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-08 AT 08:47PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-08 AT 08:46?PM (MST)

>what unit did your goat come
>from, if you don't mind
>my asking (I only ask
>because you will probably never
>go again).
You never know, I drew my first time applying in 2000 and then again in 2008 after my 7 year wait. I'm not worthy. aahahhaha Making plans for 2016.

Hey nice whitey...how do you get 2 buck tags. I live here in Montana and I never knew anyone could shoot 2 bucks in one year....what's the scoop??

Hearing that just made it hard for me to keep my lunch down. I'm sitting on max points (8?) for moose, sheep and goat. Lucky sob...

Sorry about that Randy. I really didn't deserve this permit and I count my blessings. I, like you, am maxed out for the other two. Best of luck, I hope you pull one soon.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-08 AT 08:10PM (MST)[p]....and rams??? I hope it's ok. Not mine because I'm too young. I honestly don't know anyone younger than 60 that drew moose, sheep or goat. I've got a few more years to go. Max points here for moose and sheep too. It was the biggest antelope buck in the unit. Montana is the best!

PB260086.jpg

P9260011.jpg

Goat from 7 years ago and yes I am applying all over again.
novbill.jpg

mmg.jpg

RE: Montana Bucks and Bulls how do I post

I have some pics of my buck I wanna post, but when I hit the magic button it says error....too manny bytes. How do I get my JPEG's to post???

>I have some pics of my
>buck I wanna post, but
>when I hit the magic
>button it says error....too manny
>bytes. How do I
>get my JPEG's to post???
>

Resize it to a smaller image, save it, then try again

>I have some pics of my
>buck I wanna post, but
>when I hit the magic
>button it says error....too manny
>bytes. How do I
>get my JPEG's to post???
>

The best way is to open an account at photobucket.com, upload your photos there and then post the IMG[] link they give you...way easier than it sounds!!

Or you can just go in to your program and resize your images. I usually go 30% when posting them here. It is really easy. make sure you save the resized images under a different name. I usually just call them #2.

Mike Henne

My family seems to be doing pretty well this year. Here are my brothers with their bulls, my cousin with his buck, and my cousin's daughter with her first buck. Hopefully I will be able to get out and do as well as they have!
Soup
4919e03d563479fe.jpg

4919e0d95a980fc1.jpg

4919e1065ba08856.jpg

4919e1295c776e6f.jpg

Those are great bulls soupcreek, especially if they were general units.

Yes Randy11, those are both general unit bulls. They were killed a 1/4 mile apart, 2 days appart. The smaller of the two was killed late on a Tuesday evening. They spent all of Wednesday packing the meat out on their backs. Thursday they went up to get the last of it and when they got to the top of the mountian where the meat was, the brother with a tag left spotted the 2nd (bigger) bull out in the open way down below. He grabbed his rifle, ducked behind the ridge, and took off running. He snuck into range and hit him 3 times in the lungs with the .270. As side note, a mountain lion got into the last of the meat from the first bull and ate most of the tenderloins and backstraps before they could retrieve it. That sucked, but I think both brothers were just glad to get off the mountian with all of one elk, and 95% of the other, and they didn't run into the big grizzly who's tracks they had been stepping in all week. Both feel really blessed, as they both have young families and only had less than a week to hunt.
DIY on Public Ground! We love Montana!
--Soup

And I'm just happy I didn't have to help with their pack-out this year! The area the smaller bull was shot in is a rough pack out.

houndog

We just returned from our 2008 Montana deer hunt. Cold, wind, fog, snow, overall tough hunting conditions. We had a good hunt. Tom got his first non-typical, Dean shot a stag buck, no testicals and in full velvet, brian shot the wide three point, and I got the main frame 4 X 4 with a little sticker point on the left side.

IMG_0949s.jpg

IMG_0958s.jpg

IMG_0967s.jpg

IMG_0976s.jpg

IMG_0991s.jpg

IMG_1006s.jpg

IMG_1003s.jpg

Thanks for looking, smokepoler63

Those are some great bucks smokepoler, especially yours, looks like you guys have a great hunt hunk of land to hunt on.

Got this buck yesterday morning and spent most of the day packing him out.
2008huntingseason012.jpg

Heres a picture of him with last years buck at the taxidermists. Hes going to make a great euro mount.
2008huntingseason017.jpg

ismith

48461bbc1c983664.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-08 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]Randy11, We do have some great land to hunt on! I met the ranchers son in college. This is the sixth year we have hunted there in the last seven years. I look forward to this hunt every year.

Smokepoler63

Thanks smokepoler! Im pretty happy with him. Seems like the are getting further and further from the truck every year. Looks like you guys did pretty good too.
ismith

48461bbc1c983664.jpg

Here's my 8 x 9 Montana Muley... He's 26 inches wide and 22 inches high I think hes right around 200 inches... People have been telling me he might be in the top 20 biggest Muleys ever shot in the state!

49205686335d55e7.jpg

Hey colth_00, thats an absolutely gorgeous buck, will definately hit 200. not taking anything away from it, but number 20 in the state is still over 250. yours is a monster, but wont go that high.

>Here's my 8 x 9 Montana
>Muley... He's 26 inches wide
>and 22 inches high I
>think hes right around 200
>inches... People have been telling
>me he might be in
>the top 20 biggest Muleys
>ever shot in the state!
>
>
>
>
49205686335d55e7.jpg

I hate to break it to ya kid, but those people are a little off in their estimation. That's a great buck, bigger than anything I've got, and I'd give my left one for a head like that...BUT...he won't make the top 20.

Congratulations, that is a nice buck. I really like the first picture, good set up. I like the story it tells.

Here are the 2 bucks my younger brother and I shot opening morning of the Montana opener. We had a blast. We shot them 30 seconds apart from each other. Next year we are holding out for bigger ones, and later on in the hunt. Still a blast hunting with the little bro. and watching him make a perfect shot on his thick old buck.

4924f7de4d6da0ba.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-08 AT 11:35PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-08 AT 11:13?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-08 AT 11:11?PM (MST)

Here are some field shots of the deer. Couldn't ask for a better morning or better hunting partner.

Little brother's deer. Almost six inch bases 5x4
IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/nontypical250/IMGP0117.jpg[/IMG]

My deer. Good 4x4. First Whitetail with a rifle.
PICT0272.jpg

Here are the two bucks together

PICT0282.jpg

All in all it was pretty slow season for us. Combination of warm weather and there being so much feed this year made for some tough conditions, the game was just scattered and didn't have any reason to come down this year
Had two great opportunities though. I missed a 6x6 bull at just under 300 yards that i still cant figure out what went wrong on. I also had a gorgeous 150-160 inch whitetail wandering around in a creek bottom about 200 yards from me, just couldn't get a shot.
Here's what me and my group did put on the ground though.

My buck, 136" 5x5 (not sure why I'm making that face)
494af1b345306a93.jpg

Opening day bull my buddy shot three hundred yards from our camp
494af5095b57838a.jpg

My good friend's ram, 38 inch horns green scored 183, hopefully will hang on and make book. He shot the ram with his arm in a sling and a broken eye socket he attained falling while hunting earlier in the season.
494af60b61707eb2.jpg

My brother's ewe (sorry about the lack of field photos on the sheep)
494af6eb678781c2.jpg

Besides these we also shot a few smaller whitetail and a young black bear.

That last bull is a nice one. Where did you get it?

Here are a couple pics of my emergency hunt. I had permission for one day on a pretty exclusive ranch the day before Thanksgiving. I was pretty pumped about it until I found out I was going to have to make a trip out of state for the holiday. Since I knew I wasn't going to get the hunt I really wanted, I decided to take a quick Saturday morning trip the week before. I had been promising my son that I would take him, and the Saturday morning hunt ended up being my only option, so I took him. It was AWESOME. I didn't get the monster I have been dreaming of all these years, but it was my new favorite hunt. We walked about 400 yards from the truck and found this guy. He couldn't have been a more perfect buck. He came out into a clearing about 100 yards away and turned and looked at us. My 4 year old son wanted to look at him in the binoculars The buck was kind (dumb) enough to stand there for about 60 seconds while we talked out loud and my son tried to hold up my heavy field glasses and look at him. Finally, I said, "Should I shoot him?" A quick "YES" and a quick "Bang" and it was done. My 4 year old son took the picture of me, and we set the timer for the other one. What a great day.
Soup
4977f8586d0bab82.jpg

4977f8826decad5f.jpg

4977f8ab6fcd6c1e.jpg

Oh yeah, the jerky is great!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom