Montana Draw Question

P

PSUBowhunter

Hey guys, I am looking into possibly coming to Eastern Montana in the near future. Can anyone tell me how hard is it to draw a tag there, or how many pts to draw a tag there. I am looking into units 631 and 632. Is this a fairly decent unit with some public land. I hunted the Badlands of ND last year and had a blast and I'm looking for a similiar hunt. Any info would be great.

are you wanting to hunt elk, deer or both? I assume you are bowhunting by you screen name.

If elk there are couple of hoops to jump through. First you have to draw a license then you put in for the special elk draw to get a permit to hunt elk in those districts.

If deer combo only then your odds are actually less then drawing a deer/elk combo.

Nemont

I have asked a similar question recently. I have learned on average it takes 3 bonus points to draw the deer combo, but still no slam dunk with 3 pts. The big game combo has higher draw odds. See the thread right under this titled Hey Kilowatt.
I did read a report that region 6 in MT is crawling with deer and elk now, only problem is most of it is private land. Deer are told to be at nuisance levels and elk are double the target number set by FWP.

We would be bowhunting. And this year we would only be chasing muleys (not enough vacation time to come hunt elk the way i want to).

By 3 pts, do you mean gaining a pt each year and on the third year you would have a fairly good chance of drawing?

If you are putting in for a deer combo then good luck drawing your first year. It can happen but usually doesn't. When you say "we" then you would want to apply as a party, that way if one draws you all draw and vice versa. Doesn't change your odds any but then you can plan a hunt together.

Last I looked it seems like drawing a deer combo without points success rate was down around 10%.

Nemont

You have the option to buy a bonus point for $20 each year you apply, the 3rd year if you have not drawn out and bought the point each time then yes, you would have three points.

I dont know if I am being an idiot or if this really is as complicated as it seams.

So can I buy three points this year and be almost garunteed a tag?

Also, if I apply this year and dont get drawn, does that then count as a point towards next year, or do I have to draw a point?

You can't buy three points. The bonus points are given one at a time, each year you apply. So, if you apply for the next season (2008) and are unsuccessful, a bonus point would be awarded you for the 2009 draw. Montana's system really isn't a true bonus point system. The points you earn allow another chance in the drawing. You could achieve 20 of our points and theoretically not draw a tag. Confused yet? Sometimes I am, and I live here. mtmuley

When I submitt my application for a non res deer combo tag this month I will have 4 points. There are people that draw on their first try. I got offered a left over tag 3 out of the 4 years I didn't draw but it sounds like that is coming to an end. In this years application packet there was some information and it sounded as if the Game Dept. will be issuing those tags to areas "they" want hunted. A new thing??

It sounds like the breaks will be drawing only for rifle AND archery this year. The way it was explained to me, its not a biological deal, its a social one. Personally I like the idea of limiting archery hunters.
ismith

45f82e4d30de4f30.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom