Montana Elk results are posted...

Did they say how big of a record; 25k more or ?
The email I read said almost 30% increase in NR. Not sure if that’s just LE permits or general tags.

Here it is.
This year, hunters came out in record numbers to apply for permits and purchase licenses in advance of the April 1 deadline. More than 82,384 residents and 16,650 nonresidents applied for elk and deer permits. That’s a 12.48 percent and 29.52 percent increase over last year, respectively.

The email I read said almost 30% increase in NR. Not sure if that’s just LE permits or general tags.

Here it is.
This year, hunters came out in record numbers to apply for permits and purchase licenses in advance of the April 1 deadline. More than 82,384 residents and 16,650 nonresidents applied for elk and deer permits. That’s a 12.48 percent and 29.52 percent increase over last year, respectively.
Wow--it seems COVID made everyone remember how cool being in the outdoors and chasing critters is. Adventure, plus food.

I think California experienced an 11% increase in applications/licenses in 2020 and it just seems, based on the trend of states already doing there draws, that this will trend upward everywhere.

To the obvious detriment of my own hunting odds, I'm glad more folks are hunting. But, I'd rather keep our sport as a viable outdoor activity with more, new and hopefully better-informed hunters than the alternative that we're viewed solely as a blood sport as doofuses looking to shoot guns at animals.

I didnt even know that this info was available today. I thought it was the 15th. Does Montana usaully do this?

Anyhow I got my non resident general deer combo..

I didnt even know that this info was available today. I thought it was the 15th. Does Montana usaully do this?

Anyhow I got my non resident general deer combo..
How can you not know and anticipate the draw results every year? mtmuley

I thought the results would be posted tommrrow. That's what I reading at least. I checked the website on monday and didn't see anything that it would be today. But hey I got another montana tag so i cant complain

I drew the Deer/Elk combo I was hoping for but not the Breaks Archery tag I was hoping for so I will be hunting a different area this fall!

Big Game Combo for me and my family. Will be out for the rifle hunt with them. Haven't seen an email from MT though.

My archery buddies didn't draw their Big Game Combos though. So looking like we will have to find somewhere else to archery hunt. Was hoping to be out in MT a couple of times this Fall.

Not successful to successful for the general elk combo :)

Couldn't figure this one out, but from another website was told it means I didn't draw the general elk combo, but did get one from someone who didn't draw their special elk tag and choose not to keep the general elk combo

Stoked to be headed back to where I started my bowhunting adventures in the early 80's again for the first time since 2018 !!!

Cheers,
Pete

2021 elk combo.jpg

How can you not know and anticipate the draw results every year? mtmuley
Why are you so condescending in so many of your reply's? Judging from many of your one sentence replies, you are not a happy soul. Is not the purpose of a forum to share thoughts and information? I look forward to your 4 word reply.....

Not successful to successful for the general elk combo :)

Couldn't figure this one out, but from another website was told it means I didn't draw the general elk combo, but did get one from someone who didn't draw their special elk tag and choose not to keep the general elk combo

Stoked to be headed back to where I started my bowhunting adventures in the early 80's again for the first time since 2018 !!!

Cheers,
Pete

View attachment 37119
Pete
Congrats on the released tag. MT draw sure is strange sometimes. At least you got a tag. The only downside to not drawing in the initial general draw is you don’t go to the LE pool(if you applied for one).

My buddy and I got lucky and drew a nonresident general deer combo our first year applying. I think the overall number of new hunters grew slightly. But the overall number of hunters applying to different states grew a lot. I know I spent some of my downtime researching new areas to hunt. I bet most of us can say that. Either way I excited to add a new state to my list of hunted.

I did not like the looks of the numbers...16,650 permits 17,000 tags ...so I called the DNR that was 16,650 SPECIAL PEMMITS not just nonresident tags ... 17,000 nonresident tags there was over 34,000 applications that what got from the DNR

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom