Montana Hunting Clubs?

DWBMontana

I would like to hear from anyone who has been part of a hunting club here in Montana. Myself and a small group of like minded people are forming a not for profit hunting club here. We have arranged leasing a sizeable ranch for hunting and fishing. We are keeping members to a minimum. Most of the ranch is in a district that requires draw for elk, but a decent amount of property in a general area. I would like to hear from anyone with experience in being part of a club, good or bad and hopefully some valuable advice in starting and running such a club, thanks.

That's not something very common here, and I'd be really surprised if any Native Montanans would be interested. We tend to not care for paying to hunt properties. This is a big state with some great hunting. No need for a club. Good luck. mtmuley

Surprise, you are wrong, LOL. In my experiences, for most game, the best hunting exist on private ground. Sure there are areas of public ground that are awesome hunting, but most have lots of competition. I prefer to hunt game unpressured, without competition, but each his own, good luck.

I'm wrong about what? I can direct you to a site with a huge Montana following. PM me if you want. mtmuley
mtmuley. This time you are wrong. first time for everything. Leasing by private individuals or hunting clubs is becoming very common in my half of the state. I would say that the amount of land leased or purchased by clubs and individuals for hunting is getting close to the amount leased by outfitters and often the people doing the leasing/buying are MT residents. One of the reasons that the public land on the flatter half of the state is getting pounded by hunters.

Well, if that's the case it's a sad deal. Wealth and hunting is a bad mix in my opinion. Here in the West side of the state, there are a lot of wealthy landowners. No "clubs" in my area. Too bad I'm wrong I guess. Some folks just want it easy. And by "Montana residents", are you saying native Montanans are leasing up ground? mtmuley

I'm wrong about what? I can direct you to a site with a huge Montana following. PM me if you want. mtmuley
More then half the members were born and raised here in Montana. Why is is it sad , not everyone feels they are entitled to hunt on someone else's property for free. If you are referring to the site run by the accountant in Bozo, i will pass, but you enjoy.

I have spent some time wandering about mont. as a NR every year for more than 20 ,and have yet to come across a club. That is mostly in the south west and to the canada border north of glasgow. That has been my experience , I really dont know how a club can keep members year after year considering that some of the best ranches that I know of were getting 7k for deer and another ranch that was getting 5k for bulls around 350 guided. So when I see a ranch were the owner is leasing the grazing ,and to an outfitter that brings in money for goat ,antelope ,deer ,elk lion,pheasant turkey, it would be much cheaper to go guided than joining a club. the prices I gave are lagit but about 5 years old,and things would be much different for a meat hunting club, or land that does not have top quality game,or members with really deep pockets But with deep pocket they seem to buy rather than join. I wont be joining because I have not finished exploring 40 million acres and I will spend another 3 weeks with my combo tag . love mont. hopefully they let me in this year.

Please read carefully my original post, and keep comments to that, if you want to start another thread, knock yourself out.

More then half the members were born and raised here in Montana. Why is is it sad , not everyone feels they are entitled to hunt on someone else's property for free. If you are referring to the site run by the accountant in Bozo, i will pass, but you enjoy.
I meant it when I said good luck in your endeavor. Clearly the financial gap between us is huge. I'm a middle income elk hunter that kills one every year on public land. That's where I was coming from. I am also a born and raised several generation Montanan. Again, I hope it works for you. mtmuley

As I stated before, please stick to my question, do not go off on a tangent. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but do not be lazy, post your own thread. Also, you have no idea of my financial situation, none. Maybe we make the same, but you are a pack a day smoker, drink a fifth an evening, drug doing sob, I have no idea .....just like you have no idea of my situation. It is awesome you kill an elk a year on public ground, but i really do not care sir. Your typical big talker on the internet, but who are you really trying to convince as far as your hunting prowess , me....or you.

It is easy to point the middle finger at hunters like DWB and blame them for the Texifcation of Montana. I think that that blame is misplaced. We in Montana are "blessed" with long seasons during the rut, lots of tags that are easy to get and a FWP that manages for opportunity. That sounds like management that is more closely aligned with Texas than other western states. If we are going to stick with the same management practices as Texas we had better accept that we will also follow when it comes to commercialization. If it wasn't for our vast amounts of Public land and the limit on nonresidents we would have become Texas North long ago.
FWP could get some on the blame for the move towards Texas, but the truth is for the most part FWP is managing just how many of Montana's hunters want. We like our long seasons and a fist full of tags. There are trade off's with every thing. I would like to eat ice cream and cake every night but I don't because the resulting padding on my belly is hard to live with. If we in Montana want our opportunity management the trade of is more commercialization of private land and less quality on Public land. We should be pointing that middle finger at the person in the mirror.

First, no goat rop'er here son, wish you would say that to my face. But alas, another internet big mouth, lol. Why do people think they need to judge others actions that are legal and free to do.....why? I never asked for an opinion on hunting clubs, I asked for advice on those that have been part of a club, if you are so full of yourself, to think I care about your opinion, you are wrong, that is exactly all it is....YOUR OPINION, NOTHING MORE, PERIOD.

I meant it when I said good luck in your endeavor. Clearly the financial gap between us is huge. I'm a middle income elk hunter that kills one every year on public land. That's where I was coming from. I am also a born and raised several generation Montanan. Again, I hope it works for you. mtmuley
It won't I agree with you unless they have Really DEEP POCKETS

I’m still wrapping my head around what the difference is between a “club” and a group of buddies who lease the hunting rights and draw straws or whatever on who’s weekend it is. I’d really like to know.

I lived in Billings for over 10 years and there are many guys I know (More than 25) who are born and raised in MT who use their discretionary income and lease up ground throughout the state. Most of them are shelling out $4500-$12000 each per year. They do more for managing the herds than the people I see in line at the meat cutter with a truck full of forkys and does. It’s funny how people B and Moan about people who either have or lease large chunks of private ground but they also buy the OnX maps and hunt the edges or the middle of the same land where possible.

I’ve seen the lease thing ruin friendships either amongst themselves or with the landowner. Kind of like going havies on a boat or going into business with your buddy. It rarely ends well.

There’s no stopping the way things are going. I’ve finally convinced myself that since I’ll probably never have a job where I make over say $120,000 a year—-I’ll just keep doing some side hustles for some cash to play the game.

It’s funny that the site MTMuley is talking about is owned by a guy from— not Montana. I’ve paid enough income taxes and cost of living to Montana in my life to at least have a seat at table.

To the OP——pm me. I’d love to hear some specifics.

Hey Art, if my ship ever comes in I’m buying Alices place and you can come over for cake and ice cream once a week!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom