Montana hunting

24_7hunter

I am planning the annual hunting trip for me and my grandpa. We are considering going to Montana this year. We don't know where to start. We would be going on public land. We aren't looking for trophys, just looking for a place where we can see some mule deer and have a chance at some respectable bucks. Where are tags easy to get in MT where there is also good public spots? I am 16, are there non res. youth tags in MT? I would appreciate any info on places to hunt, where to apply for, or anything on mule deer hunting in Montana. Thanks alot

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-07 AT 06:23PM (MST)[p]do a search on MM. go to the MFWP hunting website. there's lots of public land and lots of mule deer. Most of MT is open for mule deer. it requires that you draw a genneral tag. your odds are better if you put in for deer and elk I think it's about a $1000 bucks for a combo, it's less for just mule deer buck but it also is harder to draw. . . You also could hire an outfitter and just buy the tags. . . That will cost you too. There NO OTC non-res mule deer buck hunting in MT. . .

Me and a friend of mine hunted public ground for md right before thanksgiving we hunted alot of different stuff around the eastern side of the state you cant hunt elk with a rifle in most of the eastern part but you will see alot of deer get a blm map and there are lots of ranches you can hunt some walk on some you have to get slips their are some big bucks taken on public ground there most are just decent bucks but a fun hunt I liked the broadus powder river area real well mid nov

i dont know a lot about huntin montana all i can say is keep watching this website you will get information...good luck to you..tis good to hear of grandpas and grandsons huntin together...

You need to hurry! The deadline is March 15th. The draw odds are about 50% for the deer tag. Once you have it, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a place to hunt on public ground. If you find some good BLM or Block Management, commit yourself to putting on some miles and get away from the roads and you will have some luck. If you can get back in there even a mile or mile and a half, you will seperate yourselves from the crowd and give yourself a great chance at a good buck. Hiring an outfitter is an idea as well. Most of our instate hunters won't put in the time or effort to get away from the security of their vehicle and candy bar bag, so if you will, it will be fine.

I am curious if you are considering eastern Montana (open plains and lots of deer), west central Montana (mountainous, but dryer and less heavily vegetated the western Montana), or western Montana (mountainous, heavily forested, less visible deer)?

Mark

I contacted MFW&P and they told me that last years drawing percentage for deer only was 12.5% and the percentage of successful drawings for the combo were 53.0%................rf

>I contacted MFW&P and they told
>me that last years drawing
>percentage for deer only was
>12.5% and the percentage of
>successful drawings for the combo
>were 53.0%................rf

Those number are right. There are only 2,300 deer ($343) only tags available in the open draw.

The Elk/ Deer combo ($643) has a much higher drawing success rate as there are 11,500 tags available in that drawing.

There is an additional pool of 2,000 NR deer tags available through the Land Owner sponsored program.

Nemont

do you have to pay full price of tag before you get drawn or how does it work... read mfg homepage but i didnt say or i missed it..

unit 121 has some big one's and are hundreds to choose from or the Yaak area...about 1,200 bucks a year come out of 121....steep and thick on north slopes

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom