Montana Mt. Goat 323

Widi

I drew a NR Montana 323-20 mountain goat tag. Not sure if I should consider a guide or DIY. Any info would be a great help. Thanks

I think the choice should be made based off of the following.

What kind of shape are you in?

Are you familiar with the unit? Have you isolated an area you'll be focusing on?

How much time do you have available to scout and hunt?

I not extremely familiar with that particular unit, but it can be done DYI if you are in good enough shape and have the time to scout.
Goat country can be rough but amazingly beautiful. I've heard of many tags going unfilled in that unit due to early snow so you will want to keep that in mind as you're planning your hunt as well.

I did two scouting trips in July and August...had my situation figured out, and then had a bad orthopedic injury late August while kayaking which meant there was no way I was hiking in 10 miles and gaining 3700 feet of elevation to spike camp, so hired a guide at the last minute so I could horseback my way around. I had no intention of hiring a guide, and you don't need one if you are in good shape and can handle breaking down and packing out a goat in that country.

I made my decision. DIY!! I have two brothers who have decided to make the trip with me. Thanks for the input. Hopefully pics to follow. Thanks again.

i had that tag a few years back. scouted my tail off and located 4-5 good billys. i made the mistake of waiting a couple weeks after opener because people told me to wait for the hair to get longer. on the way in we talked to a guy from helena (carrying out a nice billy) that had been in on 4-6 goat harvests that year. after talking to him a bit and looking at his map, he had whacked every goat i had scouted. unlicensed guide is my bet, he was a fireman or some sort i believe. anyway, the big snow hit and dropped 3-4 ft on us and we had to settle for a small billy. a year or two later, i looked at a map of grizzly fatalities in the state (grizzly info center in w yellowstone). most self defense grizzly killings occurred in that unit, something to keep in mind. hopefully you have a better experience than i did.

Fleshy,
Would it be ok to PM. I would like to ask you some questions about the area. If you are willing to give me any info.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom