Montana or Kansas whitetail

970_lly

I've never hunted whitetail, and I've always wanted to kill at least one nice whitetail buck. Treestand/groundblind hunting definitely isn't my thing so I've began looking at Montana and Kansas. I'd consider Wyoming if it weren't for the fact that I've been building points and have my eyes set on a couple mule deer tags. If you had to choose between MT and KS, which would you choose and why? And are there any certain units you'd begin you search and/or apply for? I would much prefer a rifle hunt, and I'm not looking for a monster but I'd like a realistic chance at 130-150?. Having to wait a few years for a tag is ok also. MT seems to have more access and more of your typical western hunt feel, while KS obviously is better known for big whitetails. Any advice is appreciated!

Don't have any replies, but I'll share what I know. Full disclosure, I have never hunted Kansas. But it is on my B-list. Almost hunted it last year when we didn't get drawn for Iowa. I don't know anything about whitetails in Montana.

With that out of the way, I think a realistic chance at 130-150 is realistic. I wouldn't drive to an out-of-state hunt if I didn't think that was possible. If my memory is correct, most archery tags in Kansas can be drawn with 0 or 1 point. And if unsuccessful, you can come back during the firearms seasons. A buddy of mine did that one year but said he'd never do it again. Why? Too cold and too windy!

Kansas has an odd thing about the zones. If you apply for and are successful drawing in a zone, you can also hunt the neighboring zones. And finally, there is one area that all drawn licenses are good for. I think it has to do with population control.

Hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction. Let us know what you decide, and post some tailgate pics!

Not much public ground to hunt in Kansas and I prefer Archery over rifle hunting there , I have 7 points for Iowa and will apply there soon , you could possibly draw a muzzy Hunt there with no points , they shoot some nice bucks on that hunt in December or January, but that would cost some money with an outfitter.

Have to disagree 264mag Lot's of public access and walk-in in Western Kansas have hunted since it opened for non-residents. A 130 buck is very doable....... archery is the best ...... Nov 5-15 Can also apply for a mule deer tag.

Hunt both every year I can. Montana has rivers and rivers mean whitetail. Typically more slender horned classically pretty bucks. Western Kansas has grassland and crops. A totally different hunt type. Horns will have more mass but maybe shorter points. The walk in hunting program is great...but a small group of guys and 2 dogs can go through a dozen of em in a day and clear all the 4 legged critters out.

Take a look at the Powder River in MT. 130-140 bucks for days with 150s and higher if you get lucky. Using a guide will give you the best chance but there's public land too. Here's one I took last year.

IMG_3259.JPG

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom