Montana Region 7

sb2017

I have a question that might be stupid but this forum seems like my best bet at getting it cleared up. Thank you in advance for any info. I drew a tag in R7 so my first step was to pull it up on maps. I quickly found the Montanta Sportsmen's Atlas and it seems like a great resource.

My question is, am I right in thinking based on that map that 99% of R7 is public, huntable land? It almost looks too good to be true because when I turn on the Land Ownership layer, it's kind of hard to tell because the land is blocked up into so many small portions, but all of the colors appear on the legend as some form of public land.

Am I looking at the map correctly or are there a lot of portions of R7 that are private or not huntable? Based on the legend, I'm assuming these are huntable:

- State of Montana
- US Forest Service
- USFS Wilderness
- USFS Inventoried Roadless
- US BLM
- US Fish & Wildlife Services

Assuming these are not:

- National Park Service (n/a for 7)
- Indian Reservation (n/a)
- Other Land Owners

From looking at the sportsmen's atlas it almost looks like I could just turn myself loose almost anywhere in R7 and never run into private or unhuntable land.

20 more minutes of research has revealed the question was in fact stupid. Now I'm studying up on the BMA system!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom