Moon Theories - Tomorrow should be the day!

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
There are several different theories on animal movement and moon positioning. I typically don't base my hunting on these theories. Anyway, one says hunt when the moon is directly overhead or underfoot. One says hunt when the sun and moon are both low on the horizon. Well, if you go by that one, tomorrow is the day to hunt!

Good luck if you're out there, and post pics!! :cool: :cool:

Moon Copy2.jpg

I don’t have enough experience with the moon phase calendar for mule deer or elk, but I do adamantly believe in the moon phase calendar. I grew up hunting whitetail back east & you can hang your hat on it. Now days if I plan a hunt back east, I always check the moon phase before planning the hunt & booking travel plans.

I don’t have enough experience with the moon phase calendar for mule deer or elk, but I do adamantly believe in the moon phase calendar. I grew up hunting whitetail back east & you can hang your hat on it. Now days if I plan a hunt back east, I always check the moon phase before planning the hunt & booking travel plans.
Which theory do you subscribe to? Just curious because I've seen about 3-4 different ones.

Which theory do you subscribe to? Just curious because I've seen about 3-4 different ones.
I just believe that the lunar phases directly affect peak movement periods. Years ago before apps & the internet, I would purchase a moon guide that looked like a wheel. Today, I just use an app on my phone. Before planning a deer hunt in OK this fall, I picked a block of days that showed the highest movement period for muzzleloader season. I killed my deer on the evening of 10/28, on my first day of hunting.
04F9D7C8-DEE4-4E33-BA08-788E1A2C674F.png
C5075233-97A6-4E8D-96E3-0B2CC84682B9.png

I like to hunt during a hunters moon in another words no moon the deer tend to feed later into the morning
Don't know much regarding this moon thing but it always worked best for me

I love the full moon hunts in the west especially for deer and especially the last full moon of October or the first of November... Best mule deer hunt you can have given normal or below normal temps.

I love the full moon hunts in the west especially for deer and especially the last full moon of October or the first of November... Best mule deer hunt you can have given normal or below normal temps.
Yes whether or not it is cold makes a difference but if it is dry or warm then I like the no moon

"Of the review’s three findings, most hunters probably already believed two of them:
  • Deer were more active at night than day during all three moon phases.
  • Deer activity was greatest within two hours of sunset and sunrise during all three moon phases.
  • In contrast, most hunters probably doubted the third finding:
  • Deer activity neither increased nor decreased significantly during all three moon phases."

This is a VERY interesting topic to me (and a lot of other hunters). Most hunters feel quite staunchly that deer activity increases at night when there is a full moon, but the scientific evidence simply doesn't support that.

I'm trying to find the article, but I saw one study that in fact showed that deer activity actually increased during the 'new moon'. The theory being that as nocturnal animals, they preferred the darkest nights as opposed to nights where the full moon provided slight illumination.

"Of the review’s three findings, most hunters probably already believed two of them:
  • Deer were more active at night than day during all three moon phases.
  • Deer activity was greatest within two hours of sunset and sunrise during all three moon phases.
  • In contrast, most hunters probably doubted the third finding:
  • Deer activity neither increased nor decreased significantly during all three moon phases."

This is a VERY interesting topic to me (and a lot of other hunters). Most hunters feel quite staunchly that deer activity increases at night when there is a full moon, but the scientific evidence simply doesn't support that.

I'm trying to find the article, but I saw one study that in fact showed that deer activity actually increased during the 'new moon'. The theory being that as nocturnal animals, they preferred the darkest nights as opposed to nights where the full moon provided slight illumination.
I fully agree with the finding in general, but I wonder if there is a difference with migratory deer in the west. I would love to have the time to use the migration data for both deer in CO and WY and overlap the migration data with moon phases. I had an old timer suggest that the deer migration is best when the full moon hits the last week of october or the 1st week November. Says that when the moon split the that time that you get 2 weaker migrations. Some move early some move late...

I wonder if mule deer data is different than white tails? But I would feel that the data is going to look way different for fall and spring migrating deer vs residents...

Lots of interesting data, theories, and questions. I'll read through the links. Thanks for the responses guys!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom