Moose, how wide

marley

Very Active Member
This dude is on the hit list at #2. I haven’t found #1 yet. The single brow tine on his right hurts his score I know. How wide do you think he is? Think he’ll make B&C even with the single brow?
9EF59A61-9649-49A3-BB2F-8F43697796B3.jpeg

Like to see what he finishes out like. Looks like he’s still growing. Many others out where you are scouting?

Falls in the category of good, or nice, bull. The width is impressive, but with indistinct photo I can't tell much about tine development, or how many there are that will count. A lot of the rounder or flatter points look OK, but won't count. As far as score goes, you're gonna lose 20" because of the single brow on the one side. I would keep a close eye on him, but don't think he's more than mid-140's now, from what I see.

One pic wont define that bull but here is what I see.

Impressive palm width for a Shiras. Hard to tell for sure but agree that many of his points look rounded and therefore may not count but also an indication of a bunch of age. A lot to like on that bull. Don't know about B&C but not many Shiras today walking around with palms like that and that kind of overall width. Mid to high 40's on width.

Any idea of palm width right after the brows? So many neck down to nothing. I am a huge fan of bulls that start growing a palm and just keep on going.

Last edited:
I always felt there were two requirements...

1) Double brow tines or more

2) Inside palms outside the ears

He's got the width, but if you like score then the brow will kill it

I doubt he'll make B&C, but as far as a Shiras bull with the "it" factor, he's got that in spades in my book. Based on an eyeball width of 8" he's right at (possibly over) 50" wide with great paddles.

Those change my thoughts some. Palms not as good as I thought. Still a very good Shiras but not what I thought he was from the first pic

I would consider other factors like does the unit provide bigger bulls. I am guessing high 40 inch wide from 46-48. For me personally i would be happy with that bull

Mid 40s width. He squeaks into awards, but not all time. Going to need forking brows for all-time book. I hope you find one...

He looks like an older Bull with the top antler points rounded off, width looks great, just lacking on the front end. Here is a picture of a Bull taken last fall that scores 174 with the hunter holding the rack. The other Bull scores 167
6A43975B-AFB9-4BF9-A88E-E6E3A4756C65.jpeg
A28B00C5-F7F9-49AA-8F00-1818891D1A13.jpeg

46" to 48" I'd shoot that bull but single brow will keep him out of the all time book. Score isn't everything. If your happy with him shoot him.

Someone told me that if you can take the width from eye to eye and fit that width twice on both sides he’s 50”. If that’s true this bull would be easily over 50”. Anyone know the average eye to eye width.

That's a really nice Bull for a shiras I don't think I'd have a problem taking him..but all moose units are different if you know there's better ones around keep looking but inches and scores aren't every thing

Yes, 8" eye to eye is a good number; just checked one of mine to make sure. Five time 8" would be 40" tho, not 50", so you want them outside twice on either side to be 50. I always go by the ears, which on a Shiras moose will go 22" tip to tip, or about 30" is laid flat, like you see them do when they're aggressive. If you think they are at least 10-12" outside their ears, you can figure on a 46-48" bull

Someone told me that if you can take the width from eye to eye and fit that width twice on both sides he’s 50”. If that’s true this bull would be easily over 50”. Anyone know the average eye to eye width.
My mounted bull is 10" from eye to eye so if you put two of them outside the eye that would put him right at 50". So with that in mind that bull looks to be 50 or more?

My mounted bull is 10" from eye to eye so if you put two of them outside the eye that would put him right at 50". So with that in mind that bull looks to be 50 or more?
Is that on a Shiras? 8" eye to eye is what I've always heard for Shiras but we use 10" on Alaska-Yukon bulls

Nice bull but with your tag I'd keep looking. His palm lengths are really short which will really hurt the score with the single brow. He has good width and palm width but not as many points as you'd like. For shiras if you have to talk yourself into a bull you'll be disappointed. On both my bulls I knew right away what they were...there was no debate...good luck and thanks for sharing with us.

Are you guys talking eye socket to eye socket or outside the eyeball!! There's a big difference

Are you guys talking eye socket to eye socket or outside the eyeball!! There's a big difference
Well it is 8" from the inside socket of both eyes and 10" from eyeball to eyeball. But if I'm bracketing something, I'm looking eye to eye.
The only difference between a 46" Shiras and a 50" Shiras is just a bragging point to me. They are both monsters and if they have good palm width and length, both are worthy game in my book.

I passed a really wide layed out Wyoming bull on the opening day of my hunt many years ago, because his palms were kinda short. I eventually shot a 43" bull with long wide palms. I am still happy with that choice.

dang close to 50 inches. I agree on scoring comments, maybe awards gross. Good moose overall.
I think he breaks 50 which in itself makes for a real nice looking Shiras. That double brow tine really irks me on the scoring as it changes the score significantly, I guess it is what it is.

I believe he’ll make B&C. My bull last year was 50 1/2 and this bull looks as wide. Great Shiras split brow will hinder the score but I think he still scores nice. Good luck keep us posted.

Seen one this week that would score better. Don’t get me wrong that is an awesome bull. But going off what I saw this week there is a possible record bull about to hit the dirt.

Awesome Bull, Glad you held off on the first one.
This one is a stud.
Hope Hoop gets that other bull that would be sweet see the racks together.

Congrats buddy that is a really impressive bull with plenty of wow factor...has to be one of the largest pics of a single brow tine bull I've ever seen. Can't wait to hear what it scores. I would have shot that in a heart beat, congrats!!!

Congrats buddy that is a really impressive bull with plenty of wow factor...has to be one of the largest pics of a single brow tine bull I've ever seen. Can't wait to hear what it scores. I would have shot that in a heart beat, congrats!!!
Thanks 30Hart I scored him at 178” but I don’t know if I’m doing it right. Moose are tough to score. If his left side would’ve measured the same as his right he would’ve gone 190”

IncrediBULL!
That's as pretty as a Shiras gets in my book and a dream bull of a lifetime. I'm curious how he's going to fit into that already stuffed trophy room???
Congratulations again my friend.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom