Moose Hunt 61-2

brdhuntr

Has anyone drawn this tag,or have any experience with this unit,in regards to being able to navigate the unit.ie logging roads, private property,camp grounds.etc. We will be going the first week of October. Thank you for any feed back.

Most of the lodging and campgrounds are going to be on the Eastern and North Eastern part of 61-2. There is plenty of primitive camping and some campgrounds on the Western park of the unit. There should be plenty of campground, hotel or cabins for rent around the beginning of October in the Island Park area. The Island Park area is popular for summer vacationing so you have plenty of amenities on the Eastern part of your unit.

Private land won't be much of an issue for this hunt. Most of the private property is along the SW part of your unit, small areas around all the cabins in the East and NE part of the unit. The area around Henry's Lake and Henry's Lake outlet also has some private property that could limit your ability to hunt moose. Having something like OnX or other good map would be beneficial.
If I had the tag, I would hunt the last week of September instead and talk to as many archery hunters as possible to get tips on any moose they have seen. Many archery elk/deer hunters would be willing to tip you off on moose.

You can find moose anywhere in the unit. About 20 years ago I found a moose shed close to the top of Sawtell Peak. However, I would mostly focus on areas that are within a mile of water. Large parts of the unit are lodgepole pines and not really great for glassing.

The last time I hunted 61 was about 5 years ago but still fish that area regularly including last summer. In the late 90's and early 2000's there were years I would spend 100+ days/year fishing or hunting in 61.

There is a chance, even though small, that you could come across wolves or grizzly bears on your hunt. You many want to have a black bear tag in your pocket just incase.

Send me a PM if you want some more details. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom