Moose Hunt Adventure

Dobber

Finally drew my first lifetime tag for Moose in Utah. I had 25 points going into the draw. Over the years I have been putting in for Ogden, Wasatch, and North Slope. I decided to go with the unit I am the most familiar with, North Slope Unitas. I have been hunting elk and deer here off and on for that past 15 years or so. The thought of packing into the high county to find a bull is more my style of hunting.

The hunt started when I found out I was successful. I have got a good group of guys I have been hunting with that will be a big help. We have made a few trips already, setting up cameras, clearing trial, working out the horse gear, and glassing. My game plan is to spend as much time in the unit, spotting, monitoring cameras, and clearing trail until the end of July. Come August 1st I hope to pack into a couple of areas with an archery tag in my pocket.

pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Last edited:

Dobber

Still putting up cameras and glassing different basins. Getting all kinds of cool pictures. It will be an adjustment pulling down cameras earlier then I have in the past, no big deal though. I will still be out glassing and hunting the archery elk.

I went back to a place I hunted elk for the first time, fall of 1983. It was cool to go back funny how past memories come back. I remember driving up the road and seeing a rag horn 5 point the weekend before the hunt opened. Took Dad’s teepee and setup in the meadow. This was back when Utah had 200 limited high county buck permits, I think is what they called them. Saw lots of moose, but never saw any elk on that hunt. I remember helping some older hunters pack out two mature bucks.
pic5.jpg
pic4.jpg
tc2.jpg
tc3.jpg
pic8.jpg
tc1.jpg

Dobber

Spent the weekend glassing, checking cameras, visiting with other hunters out scouting and a little fishing. Seeing a few nice bull moose and getting a good idea of areas to check out.
Pic 11.jpg
Pic 9.jpg

Pic 12.jpg

No big deer or moose showing up on the trail cameras, one ok bull elk, lots of cows and calves. Getting some cool bear pictures. I learn a lot about an area with the trail camera, interesting to see a pictures from June 14 with snow.
pic 14.jpg

Pic 17.jpg

pic 16.jpg

pic 13.jpg

pic 15.jpg

Dobber

I had a few hunting buddies join me this weekend and who will be helping me with the moose hunt. We were on the trail early Saturday but didn’t see much as far as critters goes. We road into some new county and ended up putting in a 20-mile day. It is a good area, and we will be going back.

Pic18.jpg
pic20.jpg
Pic 19.jpg

Dobber

It took a full crew three days, 120 mile in the buggies, and 30 miles on the horses, but we managed to get all the cameras pulled. Learned a lot about some area I have never hunted.
pic27.jpg

Purchased the multi season elk tag and I am looking forward to the bow hunt in three weeks. Lot of elk showing up to get their picture taken with a few nice bulls.
Pic23.jpg

pic25.jpg

Also rode up on a few elk a couple miles down the trail.
pic28.jpg

Still looking for two “ghost” bull moose other hunters have told me about and shown me pictures of. Lots of small bulls and cow/calf showing up to get their pictures taken.
pic26.jpg

Dobber

I have been looking back at on some old pictures of moose I have collected over the years. Trying to figure out field judging a big bull, width, number of points. First look will be at the brow tines and the overall sized of the bull. I want to take my time with this one, with a full month to look, little hunting pressure and after 25 years of putting in, I don’t want to rush or get caught up in the moment.

This is what I am looking for. This is a bull from last year, July 2, at the cabin.
Moose 1.jpg

Moose 2.jpg

Twelve years ago, a cow was hit on the highway, her young calf hung around the place that first year, then would show up from time to time over the years. This was the last time I saw him.
friendly.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom