moose hunt unit 38 looking for suggestions

seeleymt

Just received my maps on unit 38 for moose. Looking for suggestions where would be the best place to stay will be bringing my wife along on this hunt want to stay as close as possible to the best hunting area. I'am 68 years old want to do this hunt on my own don't want to use a outfitter any suggestion on where to concentrate my looking on the map would be appreciated it's a big unit need to get it narrowed now a bit.Also would you look at bow hunting early before gun season can you get in pretty close that time of year? My biggest question is this a moose is a big animal how far from the road can a person expect to have to cart a moose to the truck or can you drive close up after harvest. Not looking for any honey holes just want to get a idea of what I should expect oaths hunt as this is it for me.
Thanks brain

there are two lodges that I know of in 38. might also be some cabin rentals. When I elk hunted 38 we saw moose along most of the roads.

Last edited:
Just received my maps on unit 38 for moose. Looking for suggestions where would be the best place to stay will be bringing my wife along on this hunt want to stay as close as possible to the best hunting area. I'am 68 years old want to do this hunt on my own don't want to use a outfitter any suggestion on where to concentrate my looking on the map would be appreciated it's a big unit need to get it narrowed now a bit.Also would you look at bow hunting early before gun season can you get in pretty close that time of year? My biggest question is this a moose is a big animal how far from the road can a person expect to have to cart a moose to the truck or can you drive close up after harvest. Not looking for any honey holes just want to get a idea of what I should expect oaths hunt as this is it for me.
Thanks brain
I wouldn't shoot a cow moose in that unit where I couldn't kill it from the road.

I would probably just hunt with a rifle, there are moose all over the unit.

Albany Lodge would be a good place to stay.

Its close enough to stay in Centennial or Laramie as well.

I know you're concerned about it, but don't be, you will get a moose, you'll get a moose close to the road and you'll see some great country.

Also, I'll PM you my phone number and if you hit any snags or need any help when you're out here hunting, just give me a call. I have all sorts of contacts that I can get in touch with even if I'm not available to help you out.

I can’t really contribute anything to this thread except good luck! Please share your story and pics when you get back!

Can‘t imagine having this much anxiety over hunting one of the dumbest fuggin’ animals on earth.
maybe the reason for anxiety is hes never hunted moose and or not in this area...or hes spent 20 yrs of points and doesnt wanna come home empty handed, or hes fat and old and this will be his last chance...i may be in his spot next year ....appreciate all the info i can get....THANKS!!!

maybe the reason for anxiety is hes never hunted moose and or not in this area...or hes spent 20 yrs of points and doesnt wanna come home empty handed, or hes fat and old and this will be his last chance...i may be in his spot next year ....appreciate all the info i can get....THANKS!!!
That being the case maybe you should ask him for help. Rather than carrying on with your superfluous bulllshit.

The hunt was over in 2022.

If you can't find a moose 100 yards or less from the road in 38 you probably should let the sun set on your hunting career.

We are going to need more info from you plough. How fat are you? Age? Ever hunt moose? Are you lazy? Ever quarter or debone an animal? How bad is your anxiety? Are you seeing a doctor for it? Will it be cured before the fall of 2024?

You’re a total douche
After some thought, maybe I was. I did not offer anything constructive to further the discussion and should have just moved on with my life. For that, I apologize plough.

I admit sometimes I struggle with reading posts from guys seeking information and how they go about it. They will post things like which gun for a mule deer hunt while having dead mule deer in their avatar. They will talk about barrel twists and the COAL, but act like they don't know which gun to use. Then they will sneak in which unit they drew in hopes people pm them about the unit. Or in this case, they quote a 16-month-old post from a dead thread, bringing it back to life, in hopes someone will pm them about a cow moose tag they don't even have.

With that said, I will offer some constructive thoughts for plough. First, if you have anxiety about moose hunting, scout the area a year prior during the hunting season. I would suggest sometime during the first two weeks of October. The rut will be in full swing. It will help with area familiarization, and in making a decision before you burn 21 points on a cow moose. In this scenario, it appears you will be too late to do this. Second, wait until you actually draw the tag before you seek information on a unit. Then use the search function and search 38 in the Wyoming forum. Seek out people who have offered information in the past and send them a private message (PM). Simply tell them you have a cow moose tag and politely ask them for any information they are willing to provide. Next, if you are worried about the size of the animal and getting it out, rent a horse. There are places in Wyoming that rent horses, panniers, and horse trailers. If that sounds too much at least bring a four-wheeler. You are allowed 300 feet off the road for retrieval last time I checked. Sometimes the people you PM will actually offer help including getting the moose out. Finally, after the hunt reach back out to the person, tell them you were successful or not, send them a pic, and thank them. Hope that helps and good luck.

The hunt was over in 2022.

If you can't find a moose 100 yards or less from the road in 38 you probably should let the sun set on your hunting career.

We are going to need more info from you plough. How fat are you? Age? Ever hunt moose? Are you lazy? Ever quarter or debone an animal? How bad is your anxiety? Are you seeing a doctor for it? Will it be cured before the fall of 2024?
After some thought, maybe I was. I did not offer anything constructive to further the discussion and should have just moved on with my life. For that, I apologize plough.

I admit sometimes I struggle with reading posts from guys seeking information and how they go about it. They will post things like which gun for a mule deer hunt while having dead mule deer in their avatar. They will talk about barrel twists and the COAL, but act like they don't know which gun to use. Then they will sneak in which unit they drew in hopes people pm them about the unit. Or in this case, they quote a 16-month-old post from a dead thread, bringing it back to life, in hopes someone will pm them about a cow moose tag they don't even have.

With that said, I will offer some constructive thoughts for plough. First, if you have anxiety about moose hunting, scout the area a year prior during the hunting season. I would suggest sometime during the first two weeks of October. The rut will be in full swing. It will help with area familiarization, and in making a decision before you burn 21 points on a cow moose. In this scenario, it appears you will be too late to do this. Second, wait until you actually draw the tag before you seek information on a unit. Then use the search function and search 38 in the Wyoming forum. Seek out people who have offered information in the past and send them a private message (PM). Simply tell them you have a cow moose tag and politely ask them for any information they are willing to provide. Next, if you are worried about the size of the animal and getting it out, rent a horse. There are places in Wyoming that rent horses, panniers, and horse trailers. If that sounds too much at least bring a four-wheeler. You are allowed 300 feet off the road for retrieval last time I checked. Sometimes the people you PM will actually offer help including getting the moose out. Finally, after the hunt reach back out to the person, tell them you were successful or not, send them a pic, and thank them. Hope that helps and good luck.
i appreciate the follow up...im 68, live in nm, 6'3 290 lbs, when i started buying points i was 220...life changes alot in 21 years...have 2 knee replacements and 1 total ankle replacement...ive hunted from mexico to the yukon...have taken at least 18 elk, 20 deer, 5 antelope, 1 oryx, 1 caribou and a bear...have taken several hunters all successfull on deer, antelope, elk and oryx...have only 1 elk gutted for me on a guided hunt...i have killed antelope, deer and elk in the saratoga area...when i was 12 i saw my uncle kill a 191 deer on sage creek on a ranch he managed, its hanging on my wall....i killed a good buck on barrett ridge 35 years ago... i used to be a cowboy and rode from chama nm to st elmo col horse back on a trip for 22 days...i have a cousin in saratoga that ive hunted with several times, he used to own the newspaper there...so theres my bio...i was considering giving this hunt (WHEN DRAWN) to a wounded warrior but was reconsidering after i was told on here if i couldnt shoot one off the road i was deficient...all i did was ask a question...besides all this 21 points may not be enough for the cow tag...

the stuff im replying to is 2 weeks ago..im RELAXING tonite..teaching my grandson how to replace generators on coleman stoves ...any way im gone from this forum...next time i need advice ill ask a drunk in the bear trap at encampment or the wolf or rustic in saratoga...no need to reply ill never see it

the stuff im replying to is 2 weeks ago..im RELAXING tonite..teaching my grandson how to replace generators on coleman stoves ...any way im gone from this forum...next time i need advice ill ask a drunk in the bear trap at encampment or the wolf or rustic in saratoga...no need to reply ill never see it
That ended badly.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom