moose hunt

C

cataximan

has anyone hunted moose up out of sandpoint ? I have talked two game and fish with no real help other than them saying lots of moose in nothern idaho . any pointers would greatly be apperciated. thanks for any help good luck to all .

Live there, have for ever. What area & wich time frame? I cont get on here much this time of year. Gone hunting all I can If your hunt is soon leave a phone # & I will try to help.
CONGRATS ON THE DRAW !

How high north does your unit go. I have hunted bear both west and north of Bonners Ferry. Ran into alot of moose in most all of them canyons. My understanding is that there is alot of moose in all the northern units. Post your unit number or boundry and you will probably get replies. I would reply to blind-squirrel. Sound like he knows the area and is willing to help you out. Cannot ask for more then a local willing to help!!!

the unit is 1-4 nov 15-28. starts at sand point to bonnersferry then to the montana border. I did leave Blind squirl a pm. Iam so greatful for any advise, I recieve. when I talked to bio. thats all I could get out of them is there is moose all over . we all now how that goes ,thats why I am trying to find out from hunters that have been there before.once in a life time hunt I want to make the best out of it .thank you for responding , good luck to all of us this season.

Been out, sorry slow getting back to you. that was
a great tag. I feel like the wolves have hurt that unit. I had same tag about ten years ago when they gave you three months. I saw 52 differnt bulls. Still a good draw just takes more work now. New state record killed in that unit 2 years ago.
I dont know how to open a pm but would be glad to share info if we can get that figured out.

hey Blind Squirrel, when you Get a pm, you just click on the " you have new messages in your in box" at the top of the main forum page. if you want to Send a private message click on the envelope above the persons name and you'll go right into it.

i'll send ya a pm, to try it out.

with those dates you could deffinately run into snow issues in the higher country.... if that was any kind of plan put some lower land alternatives in you sleeve of tricks.
blind squirrel mentioned wolves being a problem up there. didnt know they were even in that country, ive never heard or run into them.. but thats not saying much. bears and trains put the hurt on them big time, then the rest have to deal with retard poachers or idiots that just want to see if there brand new gun can kill something. then the other hunters out there that think they just shot one hell of a mulie.

I will for sure have a couple of plans. more the better during that time of year . good luck Blind squriel on your hunts and we will keep in touch. thanks madmoose for the help also good luck hunting this season.

blindsquirrel... tell us more about the state record?

Taximan...lightning creek...

E

WORLD'S RECORDS WYOMING MOOSE
This is the world record Shiras Moose.

SCORE: 205 4/8
HUNTER: John M. Oakley
OWNER: Jackson Hole Museum
DATE: 1952

KEY MEASUREMENTS:
Greatest spread: 53
Length of palm: Right 38 6/8 - Left 38 5/8
Width of palm: Right 16 7/8 - Left 15 6/8
Circ. of beam at smallest place: Right 6 7/8 - Left 6 7/8
Number of points: Right 15 - Left 15

We seen wolfs in unit 1 5 years ago I think they have been up there long before the wolfs where released from yellowstone and such....

As for the Moose there is a lot of moose and a few really good ones around Priest Lake. There is a place called Cavanaugh Bay on the south east corner of Priest Lake where you can rent cabins and they have a restraunt and Bar the food is good.. we seen a few moose in Soldier Creek and Lost creek area but also look into Indian creek and north and south fork above Indian Creek if you go to Cavanaugh Bay the guy theres name is john presley and he can be a great help as he rides all around that country also there is a little gas sation/burger place in Coolin south of Priest lake and they can also help you there with any info.. Hope this will help but really it will be hard to not find moose in those areas.....

Clynt L Citte
Willard Utah

Clint, his area is east of Priest, east of 41 that heads north out of Sandpoint, along the MT border... Good stuff still, but probably not as good as Priest.

E

Has anyone been out hunting in this area this year? I have heard good the bad and the ugly on this hunt . reports are no moose, does anyone have any suggestions, my hunt starts in three weeks, I will make the best of it any help would be greatly apperciated, thank you ,shawn

moose i mentioned earlier 181 + # 17. bulls are starting to show. but numbers are DEFINETLY way off. BIg bulls will require more than just hard work. This is not the hunt it used to be.

thanks blind squirel, for the help. I know its gonna be a hard hunt, but bring it on Iam ready to cover the country until I find him. Anyone know whats up with the wolf season, stupid montana judge. feed him to the wolfs, good luck to all you guys if theres hunts for ya.

Bull Dead, 40 inch great palms ,lots of wolf tracts ,didnt matter where you went ,walk far enough you find them. if nothing is done this moose herd will be whipped out in about 5 years .sad but probly true , its Brocs fault when ever I figure out how to download pic. I will post it , thanks guys for all the good help your great and have a wonderful thanksgiving, shawn

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom