Moose shed with a bullet hole in it...

• Thread starter bucksandbullsbroderick
  • Start date
B

bucksandbullsbroderick

As I was hiking on Saturday, I found this unique moose shed. It was so fresh that there was still blood on the bottom of the bases.

If you take a close look, you can see a bullet hole in the thick paddle section of the antler.

I thought I would post to see if anybody had a LE tag for the Wasatch Mountains and if they took a shot and missed a bull this year? Or thought this could also serve as a heads up to all of us hunters to keep our eyes out for unethical poachers.

You can also see the size of the shed in comparison to my Badlands Superday pack. (Antlers always look better on Badlands packs! :) )

What a nice find!

4920cbf666f7494a.jpg

4920cc28682594b3.jpg

4920cc4d694d63bb.jpg

4920cc6269c77c01.jpg

"Hunt hard or go home!"

I once found a blacktail skull with a bullet hole through one side and a half hole on the other side. The amazing thing was it was such a small set of ontlers. And to be hit even once but twice was unbelivable.

nice find, I've found a couple elk sheds over years with bullets holes in them too! I guess someones spending too much time staring at antlers through the scope!

Where were you on Sat.?

I was up there Sat. and saw some guys acting a little funny.
After I passed them. I saw a moose running down a ridge.
It was just a little weird.

Moose are very big, heavy animals, so when they try to push each other around by those pointy things on their heads, sometimes a hole is caused by those pointy things.

It's not impossible that is a bullet hole, but it is very unlikely when compared to the obvious.

Good points, thanks.

I can't confirm that it is a bullet hole but after closely examining it, that is what I would come to believe based on how thick the paddle is and how small the hole is.

It doesn't look like something that happened just prior to me finding the shed, but possibly a few weeks ago.

"Hunt hard or go home!"

I would think that a high power rifle bullet would leave a cleaner hole - at least on the entry side. It could be a muzzle loader slug, but I still doubt it.

I forgot the most important part in my last post. CONGRATS on a great find. I've never found a moose shed myself.

There could have been a shot fired from the grassy knoll.

--I'm looking for a man... who calls himself Bucho! That's all! And you had to do it, the hard way!--

I am supprised no one has heard of red necks shooting holes in moose paddles, its common in utard and idaho, my buddy got a nice bull up by soda last year, he was sporting a bullet hole.

i guess its like the old cowboy thing of notchin ears on fawns. i dont like it, so i dont want it to sound like i do. that idaho bull also had an infection at the base of his antler, idk if the bullet caused it or not but...we were told this was common by the warden when we checked the bull in.

I'm not a forensic scientist, but I would imagine whatever made that hole would have to have some velocity behind it. My guess would be a bullet.

Eel

I'll keep my God, my freedom, my guns, and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom