Moose sheds, now what?

F

fish4evr

The passed couple of seasons I have gotten my hands on a couple of Moose sheds. My wife is an artist and I would like her to paint a moose scene on the sheds. Doe's anyone know want kind of paint to use? And what needs to be done to prep the antler if any, like sanding or creating a smooth surface with epoxy? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you:
fish4evr

You can try wiping the desired area with Acetone, as you will be painting over the area anyway. The Acetone will help remove any substance which could affect the paint, such as the oils from your hands. You can also sand the area if you want it smooth. Or you can just use acrylic paints over the raw antler and see how it goes.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I have done some art work on a few horns, mostly with pen. I have used sanders to create a smooth surface. I have also used colored chalk for the background. After I get the picture on I spray the horn with a clear coat enamel. They don't look to bad when I am done.

I use acrylic paints to paint moose palms. I give the area i want to paint 4 or 5 coats of geso . This gives the paint plenty of surface to rally hold. Although the roughness can make it harder to paint unless you are doing really detailed work i wouldnt bother sanding. Hope this helps dgarrett
482872c466b63954.jpg

For what it's worth, my opinion is you should paint on canvas, and leave the antlers as-is. There's not much that can compare to picking up a big old Moose shed and holding it in your hands. The weight, the texture, the color, and even the smell paint a real picture for me. But if there's paint all over it, it distracts from seeing the real art.

It's your antler and you can do what you want, but I wouldn't paint it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom